apete

Olympus SP-550 UZ: 18x ultra zoom

SP-550UZ

PT-037

Funny looking underwater housing. Anyone know why (what it is at the front)?

x18 zoom starting at 28mm f/2.8

ISO 5000

Optical image stabilization

1cm focus distance

Wow ... impressive. The proprietary housing feature on the front will limit external lenses to what Olympus provides. But ISO 5000.... That's insane for a digital P&S. I'm curious as to the noise factor but that is still impressive. The 18X optical Zoom is another wow factor. So much so I'm considering the upgrade already.

What I find crazy is the ISO 5000 and the 1/2.5" sensor size. Looks like a nice camera, but would have liked to see a larger sensor in there.

Yes, this is great camera at least for topside. I just bought it last week, camera only; the PT-037 still not available yet. Seem I have to wait till end Feb.

Amazing zoom; smooth motor; nice onscreen menu; my kid said it like Pinokio when at max. lenght. Probably this the reason why PT-037 look funny -

Wow ... impressive. The proprietary housing feature on the front will limit external lenses to what Olympus provides. But ISO 5000.... That's insane for a digital P&S. I'm curious as to the noise factor but that is still impressive. The 18X optical Zoom is another wow factor. So much so I'm considering the upgrade already.

It has 67 mm threads to allow wet mate lenses.

Yes, this is great camera at least for topside. I just bought it last week, camera only; the PT-037 still not available yet. Seem I have to wait till end Feb.

Amazing zoom; smooth motor; nice onscreen menu; my kid said it like Pinokio when at max. lenght. Probably this the reason why PT-037 look funny -

Please tell me about the shutter lag and the write time, especially to RAW. How many seconds between shots?

Are you using the fast (H series) XD card?

I'm very interested in this camera as an upgrade from my 5050s

Should help with macro shots. Right now with a 3X zoom you can be 6ft from a fish and not fill the frame. Any closer and you disturb the composition. Personally, I'll find a way to upgrade once the housing comes out.

I am also very instersted in this camera and housing while Olympus announced.

Althought I can not found any side picture of PT-037, according to the SP-550's lens length, I am wondering how it looks.

Becide, if the housing have longer lens space, can it hold the attached lens like INON UWL-100 with Dome port?

I'd like to upgrade my 5050 for one year, 7070 is good, SP-350 also attractive.

I hope the focus speed, sutter lag really can improve in this one, or I have to photo fish's tail side again. >_<

Should help with macro shots. Right now with a 3X zoom you can be 6ft from a fish and not fill the frame. Any closer and you disturb the composition. Personally, I'll find a way to upgrade once the housing comes out.

I'm not convinced either. Wouldn't you run into big problems with camera shake and shutter speed at extreme zoom? I've played around with the Oly 770 UZ topside; in macro at 10x it's really tough to hold it still for the longer shutter speeds required by being zoomed out so far. Maybe I wasn't doing it right though.

"I'm not convinced either. Wouldn't you run into big problems with camera shake and shutter speed at extreme zoom?"

No. I am convinced that 18X will be useless underwater but imagine 10X with that camera at a f3.5. Not sure if that's possible but with it halfway zoomed in it should be a quicker lens. With ISO 5000 the sensor shouldn't have any problems locking on in lowlight but this is all just speculation until I get my hands on one.

Sponsors

Advertisements