Taxgeek

Poll: How do you stow your Woody's Diopter?

Imagine you're diving with your macro rig and you decide you don't want your Woody's diopter on your lense anymore. What do you do with it?

A. Stuff it down your wetsuit (mine's back zip, dang.)

B. Some kind of pouch tethered to your tray?

C. Special pocket on your wetsuit?

D. Let it dangle by a cord?

E. Hand it to your obliging dive buddy?

F. What else?

Have people come up with an equivalent to the screw mount attachment points for the 67mm inon diopters?

Trying to figure out what I want to do with my shiny new toy. (Thanks Woody!)

And, do you leave it on the lense most of the time, only taking it off occasionally, or leave it off most of the time, only putting it on occasionally?

I loooooove macro, the closer the better, so maybe I will wind up in the former group, and thus any energy put into designing the perfect stowage solution will be wasted?

Would love to hear from you all!

Susan

I made a pouch to hold mine from an old wetsuit that I attach to one of my photo arms. That way I do not lose it, I do not scratch it up, and I do not forget to take it on a dive. I have also used a pouch that held business class personal care amenities I got on a Cathay Pacific flight. Don't even get me started on surfer dude back zip suits that continue to be marketed to diver dudes (and dudettes). Anyway, try some sort of pouch that will hold your diopter and can be attached securely to one of your photo arms.

Saturday I used for first time a Woody diopter. It was given to me the same morning, so I didn't have time to make any proper fixation for it when not in use (I had its lanyard around one handle). When not in use hanged a lot from the hande base so I hold it by the lanyard with left hand when not in use (only a few times in this dive).

As far as I was wearing a drysuit (12ºC) no suit related solutions were valid. My original idea for a simple and propre fixation was tested on sunday.

I'm using it with the Canon 100 macro behind Ikelite long flat port for this lens. So I added a SS clamp in the body of the port that catches the lanyard just enough to allow to put in on and off. The lanyard attachment point is on the upper right part of the port. So when not in use the diopter can hang in the left side of the port (a safe place) without hanging freely and getting under the port.

It is simple and work very well .

Rai

I let it dangle from the cord that comes with it, and that I tie to the housing...

Attach the lanyard to the spotting light arm and wedge the Woody's between the LH handle and the housing when not in use...

So for those of you who don't use a pouch or your wetsuit, I'm assuming you put the Woody's on the lense when you're ready to ascend and for skiff rides etc?

I like Woody's idea of a pouch, but I fear that I will rarely put the diopter in the pouch during the dive. Maybe a pouch that rides on the top side of the port (my port is long enough), with elastic or velcro or something around the port. The top side of the port seems to be the only place on my rig where a pouch wouldn't get in the way at some point.

I'm brainstorming pouches too. Old P&S camera case maybe? Don't have any old wetsuits I could carve up, but could probly get some neoprene scraps. How would you keep it closed? Velcro? Magnets?

Sponsors

Advertisements