Sign in to follow this  
derway

"Best of Wetpixel" - sure death for threads

I was looking through the best of wetpixel forums, and until recently, I had assumed they would just be pointers to threads that existed in the other, main forums.

Such is not the case.

Instead, you have taken the most interesting and important threads, and moved them to dead storage, where they are rarely, if ever seen, or continued.

For example, the Pinned thread "I'm new! What camera/housing/strobe should I buy?" has not had a post in 2 years, and is now terribly out of date, rather than being kept up to date, as it would in the digicams forum, with reports and opinions on the latest digicams.

It also makes it harder to search for things, since folks may easily overlook searching these forums...

I think it would be better to move the threads back in the forums where they belong, pinned perhaps.

If you have a way to just leave links to the "best threads", and still leave the threads in the forums where they belong, that would be acceptable.

Anyone else agree?

I'd definitely like to know what you guys think about this. Without active management, the Best of Wetpixel area is probably not useful!

The idea behind of Best of Wetpixel was to collect up old, but important threads that had been lost - through lack of use and collect them together somewhere - so the discussions can be enjoyed again.

The amin of Best of Wetpixel - is to be more of a library for these old threads - and while they can be added to - they are not expected to be very active.

Generally a thread would need to be inactive for 6 months or so, and had slipped from view in the main forums, before it is moved to best of wetpixel.

But if this system is not working then it can be changed.

Alex

Is it possible to have these threads still in their main forums and yet mimiced .. or a mirror image running in the best of .. so if it is marked best of .. it gets put in the 'best of' are but can be found in say the SLR or Editing forums too .. and if you add in either area it adds to both ?

Maybe even an extended header .. instead of Best of .. Best of - Regular topics ?

the example of new guy requesting info on which camera to get is going to be constantly out of date where ever it is, although i think the most common answer is always .. compact olympus ... if you want an SLR you probably aren't a new guy.

I like the best of area .. but maybe it could be extra archived to best of 2006 , 2007 ... so that it can really be an archive of best topics that happed ?

I think it works as a system .. but as it is a new system there has never been a maintenance of it thought about .. how to keep the best of .. up to date !!

There is just not enough content in "best of wetpixel". I mean having "drysuit maintenance" listed in the BOWP is a sad comment! There are a ton of more worthy threads, such as the "how to repair ike synch cords". Alas there is no DIY in BOWP.

Giles echos my thought of having the best of area being a set of links or mirrors, so that the threads can still be kept up to date, in their main threads.

There is no way to set up topic shortcuts.

What would be better would be to have a "Best of Wetpixel" article on the front page that is updated by moderators and lists best topics over the years. The problem is that we don't have [volunteer] moderators who actually want to do work like that (who would do it consistently, I mean).

I would probably have to pay someone to do it -- and it may very well be worth it.

I think we should scrap BOWP, and will take care of it in a few weeks when I'm back from Indonesia.

There is no way to set up topic shortcuts.

What would be better would be to have a "Best of Wetpixel" article on the front page that is updated by moderators and lists best topics over the years. The problem is that we don't have [volunteer] moderators who actually want to do work like that (who would do it consistently, I mean).

I would probably have to pay someone to do it -- and it may very well be worth it.

I think we should scrap BOWP, and will take care of it in a few weeks when I'm back from Indonesia.

How about a resource centre... compress all the informative threads to the bare facts and paste it into a pdf then have a resource centre on here, we did a similar thing at divephotofest.com. Only members can access the downloads, and they are prebranded. I don't think it would take too long, probably a 6 pack of beer would be needed though!

This might be more suitable for smaller topics on repairs and technique etc, but might prove useful for members if they could have the relevant ones on their laptops when on liveaboard trips etc

Now then, which mod has lots of spare time and a willingness to do things for alcohol....

I fully agree that the "best of wetpixel" feature, at least as implemented, was an unfortunate mistake. Time to let it go, I think.

Robert Delfs

Please at least move the pinned threads in "best of wetpixel', back into the live forums where they started, so that they can be found, and can live again.

The thread about strobe resources on the net, should be in the "lights & strobes" forum, where it belongs.

Someone want to give me admin rights, I'll move the important threads out of "best of' and back where they belong.

:)

Don -- you're on. I'm sending you a PM now. :)

Update: it's done. Matt Segal had done most of the work a long time ago, and it just took a bit of urging via this thread to finish the job.

Everyone -- please thank Matt. :)

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements