Hawkfish

Canon HV20 Official Thread

Camcorderinfo has a headline up about a new Canon hi def consumer camera. Its small and supposedly better at low light than the Canon HD10 (with some caveats). So, it is even more confusing for someone looking to go hi def in the +-$1k price range! I wonder who will make a housing for this unit.

mh, still no LANC. Why doesn't Canon manage to do it? I think external mike and no palm shape are nice over HV10. Interesting 25p mode with cine gamma. AFAIK unique for 1000 bucks.

Julian

Well lanc is considered to be more professional/advanced user requirement than the usual consumer. Most of Canon's consumer accessories are not lanc based.

Sony has built an entire subsection for accessories and they've always had lanc on all their cameras.

The 24/25P mode is unique for any camera shooting 1080 HDV except for the HVR-V1 and with work the HVX200. All the other cameras shooting 1080i HDV and have a "p-scan" like lower resolution mode. Disappointing they don't have 30P which is more useful for general action capture than 24/25P, especially in such a small package. I should be playing with it soon. Will report then.

Camcorderinfo.com posted their review of the HV20 today. They compare it with the Sony HC7, and the Canon HV10. They really like the 24p mode and say it works well at 3 lux, an advantage over the HV10 which was apparently deficient in the low-light category. Commentors complain about lack of LANC and movement of the ir remote sensor to the front of the camera.

Has anyone heard from Housing manufacturers regarding the HV20?

The camera definitionately has my attention...appears to be the current leader in the $1K range. The part about the 24p mode being very good in low light is something that I think will be particularly useful underwater. Now we have to find out if anyone is going to make a housing for it.

Ikelite is now making a housing for the HV20.

I came across an ad for the housing at the link below. It goes by the name of the errr...Breed-1 made by err...Zillion. Despite the lack of a fishy name (or maybe that is a fishy name) it appears reasonably well made. Not sure about manual white balance and other controls. If anyone has info please post.

http://store.aikotradingstore.com/zibr1.html

I went on Ikelite's website this morning and they have the info on the housing posted under "Whats New". In the list of bullet pts of features offered it says "White Balance" so I hope that means ability to manually white balance. The listed U.S. price is $1100, compared to $2700 hundred for the Breed-1 housing which may not include ability to manually white balance.

Canon also announced a new camcorder that appears very similar to the HV20 except that it records to a hard drive rather than tape. Hopefully there will be housings for it too.

Edited by Hawkfish

I ordered one of the Ikelite HV20 housings from Marine Visions for my wife. Unfortunately we wont get it until after our trip. We are leaving for two weeks in Indonesia tomorrow morning.

Hopefully I will be able to post a review of the HV20 housing (if we get a chance to dive it when we get home) and the Gates FX7 housing shortly after returning.

Billy

Where in Indonesia are you diving ?

Well, we are planning on shooting from the hip, so to speak.

I work for a security consulting firm, which means I go where they tell me to, and when they tell me to. In the two weeks of being in Indonesia, I will probably end up with about 4 or 5 days that I could dive.

It's really hard to plan anything ahead of time because these trips are always getting cancelled, shortened, postponed and just all together messed up. Really frustrating sometimes but hey, I'm not paying for it, so I'm not going to complain.

Anyone have any suggestions on land based diving while I am there?

From the phone call I just received, it doesn't look like my wife is going to get to go on this one so I will have free reign to do whatever I want to, diving wise that is.

Billy

That really depends on where in Indonesia you'll be. There are over 17508 islands in Indonesia, over 6000 over them populated. :)

If you're in Jakarta, the 1000 islands is a good place to get wet. Go to the dive travel sub forum, there're several threads on Bali, which is cheap to get to from Jakarta. There's also Sulawesi, Flores, Lombok to name a few. Depends on how much time you have and how far you are willing to go. It's mola season now in Bali.

Any ETA on the harddrive version of this?

My main concern is the time it takes to Dowload the Videos into the computer for editing.

If memory serves eta is October...BUT the controls are different than the hv20, so who knows if and when housings will be available. Also the review said that the Progressive Mode of the hard drive unit is just about useless. The Progressive Mode that the hv20 uses is supposed to work very well.

Hawkfish

Are you talking about the HG10? That records in AVCHD.

Drew, yes I was referring to the HG10 and forgot to mention that it is avchd. The review on camcorderinfo.com said that Canon's version of the avchd codec appeared better than some others, but that the 24p feature of the HG10 had big time motion artifacts when there was even small amounts of movement to the point that it was nearly unuseable. Compare that to the HV20 which is still getting lots of rave reviews from amateurs and even some not so amateur types. Its a shame because a hard drive version of the HV20 would have been nice. I should qualify my negative info with the fact that the review overall was very positive about the HG10, just that the 24p feature was not good - I think this is especially important for underwater users to note because the 24p let the HV20 produce excellent color in low light.

24P is not always suitable for underwater use. The jittery motion can be disturbing for faster action. Also the excellent color is more the cinetone accent on the image more than 24P itself. The better low light performance comes from being able to go to 1/24 shutter speed, which may exacerbate the strobic effect. You will still get a minor light gain using 1/48.

I just got this HV20 and I am in love with it. Controls are easy, HD Quality is superb! Low light shooting is a definite strength of this Camera + Manual Controls (ISO/Shutter/Aperture) is a breeze.

I do not miss the HardDrive, it would have been probably smaller than 60mins continuous shotting that we get with a tape.

I definitely want to get this camcorder wet!

Any other Manufacturers other than Ike planning on housing this cam?

Edited by ChrisJ

Chris; I posted a link to another housing earlier in the thread; but its not clear whether or not it offers white balance, it was $2800 u.s. or so. I'm glad you are happy with your new HV20...lots of people giving it good reviews. I have seen some posts on another site with people modifying a sony sportpak housing for the HV20, but controls are minimal and its only good to something like 10 meters. It seems that the HV20 with the Ikelite housing at a total cost of under $2500 is a hard to beat quality/price combo for us amateurs. It'll be interesting to see if any other manufacturers come out with a housing, and at what price point.

Sponsors

Advertisements