Hamish Morrison

Socorro lens selection

Hi,

I am heading out to the Revillagigedos on Nautilus later this week and wanted to ask what lenses people might recommend. Not that I have a lot of options right now, but I was thinking of leaving the macro setup behind. Weight is always the problem for us photographers!

What do you guys think. I have a Canon 20D and the 10-22mm as well as the 17-40mm, which I bought as a reaction to my previous experience trying to shoot big fish, when I found the 10-22 was a tad wide.

I hear the mantas are very friendly so maybe the wider the better!

Hamish.

Hi,

I am heading out to the Revillagigedos on Nautilus later this week and wanted to ask what lenses people might recommend. Not that I have a lot of options right now, but I was thinking of leaving the macro setup behind. Weight is always the problem for us photographers!

What do you guys think. I have a Canon 20D and the 10-22mm as well as the 17-40mm, which I bought as a reaction to my previous experience trying to shoot big fish, when I found the 10-22 was a tad wide.

I hear the mantas are very friendly so maybe the wider the better!

Hamish.

Hi Hamish,

I spent 3 months out there last year.

Not every dive on their route is a Manta Dive, for instance there are very few mantas around Socorro, and the sharks can be unreliable.

For San Benedicto you will probably want a super wide lens for the Boiler, the widest you have (If the Mantas are playing). Keep a look out in the deep for Tigers too

On Socorro i'd be tempted to take a macro / fish portrait lens ar there are some cute gobies and juvenile Clarion angelfish are stunning. I'd sometimes shoot upto 3:1 in one of the bays on Socorro.

For Roca Partida, you will want Wide-angle if the mantas are there, and maybe the 17-40mm if theres a few sharks around.

If you head out to Clarion, take a Telephoto for above water as this seemed to be the biggest concentration of humpbacks (although you will still see a lot around the other locations).

I'd say take the lenses you mentioned and at least a 50mm macro, maybe even the 100mm, just in case Socorro is a bit sleepy.

I'll try to find a selection of shots that i took with each lens. EDIT: There are some pictures in the gallery at www.buxtonphotographic.com - the exif data will show the lens used.

Have a great trip and Say hi to Pedrito and Mike for me!

You can also drive upto San Ignacio Lagoon in a few hours and play with the Grey Whales up there, i drove up but the Mexican girl i was with got stroppy as its not very developed so we had to leave :D

Sponsors

Advertisements