Sign in to follow this  
Alex_Tattersall

Is there a teleconvertor or extension tube available for Canon EFS lenses

Hi all,

I've got a Canon 400D and using a 60mm EFS macro lens... I would like to get more magniifcation and am looking at the choices. Can anyone advise me of the best option?

Can you get a teleconvertor or extension tubes for EFS lenses ?

Thanks

There are currently no teleconverters that will mount to an ef-s lens.

The only extention tubes that will mount to an efs lens are Canon's MK 2 extension tubes.

Most teleconverters will mount to the extension tube. So you can use a teleconverter if you put a Canon MK 2 extension tube inbetween the teleconverter and the lens.

Remember extenstion tubes will cause you to loose the ability to focus on objects far away.

Using a 25mm extenstion tube, the largest object you could focus on will be a magnification of ~ 1:2. And with a 25mm extension tube + a 2x teleconverter the largest object you can focus on would be at a magnification of 1:1. So this is really only a viable option if you know you will be only shooting very small subjects.

A better option may be a wet mount diopter (such as woodie's diopter) this will let you put the diopter on when you want to shoot something small and you can take it off to shoot larger subjects.

A better option may be a wet mount diopter (such as woodie's diopter) this will let you put the diopter on when you want to shoot something small and you can take it off to shoot larger subjects.

I disagree!

A diopter will decrease the close focus distance. A teleconverter and an extention tube will not.

The 60mm will focus as close as 20cm adding a diopter will decrease this even further and will increase the risc of hitting the subject you are trying to capture...

I have been using the 60mm lens with a mk2 12mm extension ring and a 1,4x kenko converter with very pleasing results.

denise2.jpg

True, you will loose infinity focus, but if you request more than 1:1 magnification you are probaly not interested in this anyway...

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements