Alex_Tattersall

Canon 400D Magnification options - please help

Hi all,

I've got a Canon 400D and using a 60mm EFS macro lens... I would like to get more magniifcation and am looking at the choices. Can anyone advise me of the best option?

Can you get a teleconvertor or extension tubes for EFS lenses ?

Thanks

Alsky72,

I have this same lens, and will be trying the external Woodys / Ryan diopter on it next trip. This might get you down to 1.4 : 1 magniifcation ratio. It's simple, and easier to use than many approaches for extreme macro.

I just double checked the Canon 60mm EF-S manual, and it says you CAN use the EF 12 II or EF 25 II extension tubes. BUT YOU'D HAVE TO MANUAL FOCUS! Uggghhhh.....

One photographer I know made his own delrin "ring" to push on the outside of his dSLR flat port which had threads to screw in the INON UCL 165 close up lenses of varying power. I've just heard of this, haven't seen it yet...But it sounds like it would be preferable to all this stacking extension tubes and diopters inside housings with bazooka length ports and lens sagging problems, etc.

Surface close up lenses (diopters like +1, +2, +4, etc.) used OUTSIDE an underwater port may not have the same effect as the INON ones specially made for this purpose.

Not sure if I helped you...... :D

dhaas

The first thing you should consider is what you are shooting and what type of shot you are looking to get. A teleconverter is my preferred option but you lose 2 stops of light if you use a 2x converter. These are relatively simple and easy and just need a port extension to accomodate. The other option is a form of diopter like mentioned above. The thing with diopters is because they are close-up lenses they limit your working distance so any thing you have trouble getting close to won't be easy to shoot!

Cheers!! :D

Sorry.. I should have pointed out that I am just going to start using this on land... not underwater for now.... 60mm plus woody is enough for now.

I don't mind MF .. are there Kenko teleconvertors compatible with EFS Canon lenses?

No, there are no teleconverters compatible with EF-S lenses.

Yup Kenko makes Canon TC's!!

But they are not compatible with EF-s lenses.

I second that. I have both a kenko 1.4x and 2x TC's. They do not fit on the EF-S 60mm. But they do nicely on my 100mm EF macro.

I second that. I have both a kenko 1.4x and 2x TC's. They do not fit on the EF-S 60mm. But they do nicely on my 100mm EF macro.

Me too. Both topside an under I always use 60 mm EF-S as is and for the range of situations and subjects it is good for. It focus too close to take benefit of close-up lens. I only use the Canon 100 mm when I can't get close enough with the 60 mm.

But When I want more magnification I only use the 100 mm with close-up lenses (+4 is my favourite) or the Kenko TC (both x1.4 and 2x) for more scary subjects.

Underwater I'm now testing the Woody's diopter with 100 mm and I must say I love it :D

For topside and more extrem results I'd like to give a try to normal lens reversed with and adapter ring. Maybe the kit lens could give good results reversed ...

Rai

60mm plus woody is enough for now.

I was just thinking about this. Given that the 60mm focuses so close, wouldn't the benefits of the woody diopter be lost? I've never thought of trying my woody diopter on my 60mm though...

Sometimes I think that the advantage of a dioptre on a macro lens is that it encourages the photographer to get close!

Alex

Sponsors

Advertisements