COSMOFISH

need advice Aquatica D200 system

Finally I am switching from my film Aq90's to an Aquat D200, and will keep my old DS-125's. So I have some stuff already, and also some "digital lenses", I would like some advice on what works best. I have these Nikon lenses: 12-24/4, 20/2.8, 60/2.8, 105/2.8, 17-55/2.8. I have the Aquatica 8 inch dome and the standard macro port. I was going to get a 18463 ext ring for the 12-24, no ring for the 60, an 18642 for the 105. I understand that the 17-55 would work best in the dome with a 18457 ring. Are diopters necessary for the 12-24? Would a +2 be necessary with the 12-24 to allow closer focus...does anyone know just how close the rig would focus with and without the diopter. Also would a diopter (power?) be helpful in changing the minimum focus of the 17-55, and if so does anyone know the with and without diopter minimum focus that this lens would give underwater? I have never used a zoom under water so I am a little curious as to how useful this lens is UW...or is it just frustrating because of its inability to shoot small stuff? What subjects would be best for this lens?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Have fun with your gear, you have a nice complement of stuff.... This is a very non-tech response from a very tech kinda guy that I am...I have the 18-70mm lens that came with my d70 and I use a +4 diopter on it when I put it in my dome port. I use the extension that I have which is the same extension that I use with the 105 and the flat port, I do not know if it is the 463 or 462...

What I do know is that the 18-70 has been a great lens u/w. I very rarely go out to the 70mm, staying between 17 and about 40mm... but there is a lot of stength in that subjet range.

I have the 10.5 and then the 18-70mm, 60mm and 105mm, my next lens to buy is the 12-24, I think this would be a killer lens to have. I love the 10.5, but you have to be really good and have the right conditions to use it. The 18-70 has given me a lot of great shots

Stuart Cotts

If you want to or need to use a diopter it is always best to match it to the "optical strenght" of a dome, for the 8" dome that diopter is +3 and for a 6" dome it is +4, thoses lenses that you mention should not require a diopter. seing that the virtually projected image of a 8" dome is at a focusing distance of 16'' and that the 17-55 focuses at 14.2" and the 12-24 at 11.8".

Sorry for the slow response, just back from the Chicago dive show and could'nt get my web brower to connect to anything. BTW, Tremendous diving community over there and overall a bunch of good peoples.

Regards

If you want to or need to use a diopter it is always best to match it to the "optical strenght" of a dome, for the 8" dome that diopter is +3 and for a 6" dome it is +4, thoses lenses that you mention should not require a diopter. seing that the virtually projected image of a 8" dome is at a focusing distance of 16'' and that the 17-55 focuses at 14.2" and the 12-24 at 11.8".

Sorry for the slow response, just back from the Chicago dive show and could'nt get my web brower to connect to anything. BTW, Tremendous diving community over there and overall a bunch of good peoples.

Regards

To paraphrase this...the 8 inch Aquatica dome acts as a divergent lens of -3 diopter power, to neutralize the divergence of the dome you can add a +3D lens which effectively balances out the dome...which means that with a +3D lens the 12-24 should have a minimum focus 11.8 inches from the camera's sensor, or 14.2" for the 17-55 (ie the same minimum focus these lenses have in air). The diopter is necessary if you want to do "really" close focus wide angle.

To paraphrase this...the 8 inch Aquatica dome acts as a divergent lens of -3 diopter power, to neutralize the divergence of the dome you can add a +3D lens which effectively balances out the dome...which means that with a +3D lens the 12-24 should have a minimum focus 11.8 inches from the camera's sensor, or 14.2" for the 17-55 (ie the same minimum focus these lenses have in air). The diopter is necessary if you want to do "really" close focus wide angle.

Crikey, I understand that, congratulations - think I have been reading this stuff for far to long.....

Sponsors

Advertisements