bartusderidder

Visa Regulations

Dear dive operators,

In preparation of my upcoming trip to Sulawesi I've been checking so many websites hoping to find updates on Visa Regulations (Visa on Arrival). Almost every website tells me something different, quite frustrating to be honest....in the end you don't know who to rely on anymore. :)

So, if you can update your rates and tell us about your latest facilities, please make that small effort to update the Visa Regulations on your site as well, or otherwise just state one should check with his/her local authorities.

Thank you

Bart

Certain countries may get visas upon arrival, (I didn't see Belgium listed, so it's best to get one in advance), and some others don't need one at all. Here is info for those countries eligible for arrival visas:

Tourist visa required by passport-holders from the following countries: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Hungary, Germany, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Switzerland, South Africa, South Korea, Taiwan, UK, United Arab Emirates, USA.

Countries that are exempt from any visa requirements: Brunei, Chile, Hong Kong, Macao, Malaysia, Morocco, Peru, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam.

Tourists from other countries should apply for a visa at the Indonesian Embassy before leaving.

Tourists from eligible countries may obtain their tourist visa upon arrival at most major airports and seaports, but travellers should check with the nearest Indonesian embassy prior to arrival. Travellers who are entering by land must obtain a visa prior to arrival at an Indonesian embassy or consulate. The cost of a three-day visa is US$10 and a 30-day visa is US$25. Travellers should arrive with the appropriate amount in U.S. dollars. All U.S. dollar bills must have been issued after 1999 and be in good condition. Visas may be extended in exceptional circumstances only (e.g. illness, natural disaster).

Aid workers are required to have a sponsor in Indonesia in order to obtain a visa. The visa must be obtained by the sponsor at the Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Agency (BRR) prior to the arrival in Indonesia. The contact number for the BRR is 0651-636666 or 0651-636123.

Journalists visiting Indonesia for reporting purposes should ensure that they obtain the appropriate visa from Indonesian authorities.

Tourist Visa: Required

Business Visa: Required

Student Visa: Required

Most countries have government websites that list requirements for travel overseas. Always best to confirm, as dive operators often have outsourced their website creation and maintenance, and aren't in a position to update regularly.

Have a great trip!

Cheers,

Marli

Hi Marli,

Yep, surely looking forward to my trip. :)

Certain countries may get visas upon arrival, (I didn't see Belgium listed, so it's best to get one in advance), and some others don't need one at all. Here is info for those countries eligible for arrival visas:

How recent is your source, Marli?....unless an date is mentioned, it's sometimes hard to know how recent info is on websites....

This is what I found on the Wallecea website. I'll be doing a cruise with them (http://www.wallacea-divecruise.com/info.html)

Other Practical Information

- Visas:

Since January 2004, a tourist visa is necessary for most visitors of Indonesia*. For citizens of various countries it can be get in the embassies or consulates, and also at your arrival at the entry airport. However, we not recommend this last option due to long waiting time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Currently, the following 35 countries are eligible to pay US$25 for a 30 day visa or US$10 for a 7 day visa upon landing in Indonesia: United States, Australia, South Africa, Argentina, Brazil, Denmark, United Arab Emirates, Finland, Hungary, United Kingdom, Italy, Japan, Germany, Canada, South Korea, Norway, France, Poland, Switzerland, New Zealand, Taiwan, Belgium, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Spain, Portugal, Russia, Egypt, Austria, Qatar, Ireland, Maldives, Luxembourg, China and India.

Meanwhile only 11 countries and territories are eligible for a "Visa Free" facility, they are: Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei Darussalam, Philippines, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR, Chile, Morocco, Peru and Vietnam.

Citizens of all other countries must apply for a visa before their trip to Indonesia!

This is what's on the North Sulawesi Tourism Promotion Board, Indonesia: (http://www.north-sulawesi.org/visa.html)

Effective February 1, 2004, Indonesia has introduced wide ranging changes in the national visa-free and visa on arrival system. We've tried to summarize those changes here for your convenience.

Visa Free on Arrival

In the past the nationals of 48 nations were given a 60-day stay (visa free) upon arrival at an Indonesian international gateway.

Under the new rules effective February 1, 2004:

• Only 11 countries and territories are eligible for a "Visa Free" facility, they are: Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei Darussalam, Philippines, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR, Chile, Morocco, Peru and Vietnam.

• Nationals of the aforementioned countries and territories will be issued with a 30-day stay permit without charge upon presentation of a valid passport with 6 months remaining validity.

• The Visa Free Facility is not extendable or convertible into another type of visa.

Visa on Arrival (updated July 2006)

Nationals of 52 countries are able to obtain a "Visa on Arrival" processed at the gate of entry following the payment of an official fee: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Iran, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Laos, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Maldives, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, People's Republic of China, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, Suriname, Taiwan, The Netherlands, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America.

I made a call to the Indonesian Embassy in Belgium and they confirmed Belgian citizens can get a VOA (as is mentioned on the website of Belgian Foreing Affairs)

Belgium originally was not in the list of countries that could get a visa on arrival, but this changed a few months after they started implementing this new visa regulation...

Latest update from the Belgian Consul in Jakarta:

This is the list of countries with VOA as from July 2006 onwards

AMBASSADE D’INDONÉSIE

47-49 rue Cortambert

75116 Paris

Tél.: 01 45 03 07 60

Fax.: 01 45 04 50 32

http://www.amb-indonesie.fr

VOA

VISA A L’ARRIVEE / VISA ON ARRIVAL / VISA SAAT KEDATANGAN

Coût/Cost : 7 jours/days 􀃖10 $ US, 30 jours/days 􀃖25 $ US

Non renouvelable / non extendable / tidak bisa diperpanjang

I. PAYS POUVANT SE PROCURER UN VISA SUR PLACE À L’ARRIVÉE / VOA

LIST OF COUNTRIES WHICH CAN APPLY FOR VISA ON ARRIVAL / VOA

DAFTAR NEGARA YANG DAPAT MENGAMBIL VISA WISATA SAAT KEDATANGAN / VOA

Afrique du Sud / South Africa,

Allemagne / Germany,

Angleterre / England,

Arabie Saoudite / Saudi Arabia,

Argentine / Argentina,

Australie / Australia,

Autriche / Austria,

Bahrain*,

Belgique / Belgium,

Brésil / Brasilia,

Bulgarie / Bulgaria*,

Cambodge / Cambodia*,

Canada,

Corée du Sud / South Korea,

Chypre / Cyprus*,

Danemark / Denmark,

Egypte / Egypt,

Espagne / Spain,

Estonie / Estonia*,

États-Unis / United States,

Emirats Arabes Unis / United Arab Emirates,

Finlande / Finland,

France,

Grèce / Greece*,

Hongrie / Hungary,

Inde / India,

Irlande / Ireland,

Italie / Italy,

Iran,

Islande / Iceland*,

Japon / Japan,

Koweit / Kuwait,

Laos*,

Liechtenstein*,

Luxembourg / Luxemburg,

Maldives / Maldivo,

Malte / Malta*,

Mexique / Mexico*,

Monaco*,

Norvège / Norway,

Nouvelle-Zélande / New Zealand,

Oman,

Pays-Bas / The Netherlands,

Pologne / Poland,

Portugal,

Qatar,

République Populaire de Chine / People's Republic of China,

Russie / Russia,

Suisse / Swiss,

Suède / Sweden,

Suriname*,

Taïwan.

* A compter du 6 juin 2006 / starting from June 6th 2006

II. LISTE DES AÉROPORTS / LIST OF AIRPORTS / DAFTAR BANDARA

Ngurah Rai à Bali (Denpasar),

Soekarno-Hatta et Halim Perdana Kusuma à Jakarta,

Juanda à Surabaya,

Polonia à Medan,

Sam Ratulangi à Manado,

Sultan Syarif Kasim II à Pekanbaru,

Tabing et Ketaping (Padang International Airport) à Padang,

Adisucipto à Yogyakarta,

Adi Sumarno à Surakarta (Solo),

Sepinggan à Balikpapan,

Selaparang à Mataram (Lombok),

Hassanudin à Makassar (Ujungpandang),

El Tari à Kupang.

III. LISTE DES PORTS MARITIMES / LIST OF SEAPORTS / DAFTAR PELABUHAN

Tanjung Priok à Jakarta,

Padang Bai à Bali,

Jayapura à Jayapura,

Sekupang,

Batu Ampar,

Nongsa,

Marina Teluk Senimba et Batam Centre à Batam,

Bandar Bintan Telani Lagoi et Bandar Sriudana Loban à Tanjung Uban,

Belawan, Sibolga,

Yossudarso à Dumai,

Teluk Bayur à Padang,

Bitung,

Tanjung Balaikarimun,

Tanjung Mas à Semarang,

Tenau à Kupang,

Pare-Pare,

Soekarno-Hatta à Makassar,

Sri Bintan Pura à Tanjung Pinang.

Paris, le 17 juillet 2006

Le Service Consulaire

Great to see updated information. I usually check with my own government's Department of Foreign Affairs, and if in doubt, as you did, go to the Consul (or website) for the country to which I'm traveling.

Looks like a fabulous adventure; enjoy!

Cheers,

Marli

This may interest longer-term visitors to Indonesia, who normally would need to apply for a 60 day visa before arriving in Indonesia.

The vice-president stated the following at a recent (late Feb 2007) press-conference on tourism.

120-Day Visas for Indonesia?

Vice-President Indicates 4-Month Visas-on-Arrival May Soon be Available To Indonesia's Foreign Visitors.

Both the National news Agency Antara and Agence France-Presse have quoted Indonesian Vice President Jusuf Kalla as promising that the current 30 day visa-on-arrival facility will be extended to 120-days in an effort to boost tourists numbers.

According to Agence France-Presse, Vice-President Jusuf Kalla said the visa facility for an extended 120-day stay. "It is now being processed, that tourists get four months," said the Vice President.

In recent weeks Vice-President Kalla has increasingly turned his attentions to the tourism sector, urging liberalization of visa policies, more funding for visa promotion and more ambitious arrival targets.

The shorter visa policy introduced on February 1, 2004, is largely seen to have added to the declining number of Indonesian arrivals while acting as a deterrent to travel to Indonesia's secondary destinations, formerly included on the extended itineraries of backpackers and retired travelers under the old 60-day visa free policy.

Edited by reefwalker

My family and I are headed to Indonesia in May. I know we will need a Visa which we can get upon arrival. A recent article in Scuba Diving Australasia commented that to enter Indonesia you must have a valid passport with 6 months remaining on it, a return ticket, and AT LEAST SIX BLANK PAGES REMAINING IN YOUR PASSPORT. Is this last one true? My passport is valid for another couple of years but I've almost filled it up. Do I need to renew it?

Sponsors

Advertisements