apete

Nikon Coolpix P5000

It seems higher quality compacts are fashionable again.

link to dpreview

It has a very compact wide angle converter. Should be able to use that inside the housing (with a dome).

Not to be confused with CP5000 from a few years ago.

Geez, what's wrong with camera manufacturers. They need a little forethought in creating model numbers. If you've ever worked with billions of everchanging parts, you eventually learn, "part numbers are free". Reusing part numbers or model numbers ends up being a PITA.

Ah, no RAW. I hope the WB controls aren't buried way deep in the menus.

Ike's housings for similar cameras (C-8080, Coolpix 8400) do have dome ports available.

Ikelite has made hosings for compacts with (optional) domes and internal wide angle converters before.

Ikelite dome port for Coolpix 8400 housing

I do not think that Nikon will do a housing for this camera at all.

FantaSea have speciallised in houisings for Nikon, but I doubt they'll make a dome solution for this camera (they'll settle for something cheaper).

FantaSea have speciallised in houisings for Nikon, but I doubt they'll make a dome solution for this camera (they'll settle for something cheaper).

I know nothing...Nothing! Fantasea does have a wetmate W/A lens instead, then you can change options UW. There's a great-looking hotshoe on this camera, sure would be cool if there was a hardwired sync to an SB800 that gave full i-TTL.

This camera looks like a winner. Can't quite understand the lack of RAW on it, but I guess that's the trend.

Fantasea will be a PMA in 3 weeks, who knows?

Jack

It looks a lot like the old 5000. That camera would have been perfect UW if it had better low noise production and a faster AF.

They then came out with the 8400 which was incrementally better than the 5000 but had the very annoying thing where the macro only worked at the cameras wide end.

This camera discards the great advantage of the old 5000 and 8400 in that it doesn't have a wide lens (28 and 24 mm equiv.) UW, however, that might be corrected with the wide angle converter. The Ike housing for the 5000 had a dome port that accepted a very similar looking wide angle conversion lens. Of course the new converter only goes to 24 mm equiv. where as the 8400 starts at that.

Might they come out with another model based on the same camera with a wider lens. Like they did with the 8400 and I believe with the old 5000.

hi all ,

i was looking at this camera also, so i contacted nikon .

just recieved an email from them " ikelite has no plans to make a housing for this housing"

looks like ill have to go for a different system

matt

Ikelite does intend to offer a housing for this camera, but we haven't been able to obtain one yet.

Once we get the camera, we will evaluate the TTL system and wide-angle options, and try to have a housing on the market as soon as possible.

Good news. Has anyone tried this camera. How is the shutter lag and low light AF? Noise in images? How is the macro? Especially at the long end of the camera's zoom lens.

Fantasea Line will also have a housing. I'm told it is well in development, it is part of a series of housings for the new line of CoolPix cameras. These will be a substantial improvement, and a new design, over current housings.

Jack

Fantasea Line will also have a housing. I'm told it is well in development, ...

Did you get any indication whether this would happen before this summer? It seams like some of the fantasea houses have a lens combo (wide + macro) that seems to be a good value...

Yes! Of course summer here in Seattle starts in mid July and ends Sept 15th... :D

I just got a notice that the P5000 should be ready around late-June. I hope to maybe test one before then, if the board is interested, I'll post some info.

I did try out the camera in the store and it is sweet! Great macro, very fast, extremely small. Nice metal body.

The new line of Fantasea housings are much more rugged, have a 200' depth rating, metal closures, etc. A "serious upgrade" to quote Howard.

Here's a pic of the new F10/F11 housing prototype. I expect the P5000 will be similar, but I don't know for sure. I don't have pricing yet, I expect it to be a bit more than the current models.

Please note these are prototypes, actual shipping version may/will vary.

449991666_671ba607d2.jpg

450004263_34d9164255.jpg

Jack

It's nice to see that the housing has controls for all the buttons.

... but no synch connector for the hotshoe ??

Edited by Lndr

... but no synch connector for the hotshoe ??

That housing above is NOT the P5000, it's a similar P11. What I'm saying is that the case and controls will be similar.

Jack

That housing above is NOT the P5000, it's a similar P11. What I'm saying is that the case and controls will be similar.

Jack

Here is the first good look at the new Fantasea FP 5000 housing which is now in deep sea testing in the Red Sea.

It is scheduled to be released in June http://www.fantasea.com/downloads/FP5000.jpg

For more information keep an eye on the Fantasea Line website www.fantasea.com or through one of Fantasea's authorized Dealers http://www.fantasea.com/resellers.asp

Howard

Fantasea Line

The real cool part is it should work just fine with the old Nikonos SB105's. You can still find those brand new on Ebay for about $300.

So is the big silver thing on top the synch connector :P I'm having a blonde moment ... I thought it was the shutter button :)

The race is on for the P5000 housing!

Fantasea:

We wanted to update you and let you know that we are working very hard on the development of our new FP5000 housing and we are anticipating a release date some time in June.

Ikelite:

ETA will be June 15th for the #6182.50 housing.

So is the big silver thing on top the synch connector :blink: I'm having a blonde moment ... I thought it was the shutter button :rolleyes:

For right now, there will be no hardwired sync on the Fantasea housing. Write Howard and tell him you want it. I do.

Jack

For right now, there will be no hardwired sync on the Fantasea housing. Write Howard and tell him you want it. I do.

Jack

We also heard from Fantasea that the threaded lens mount will not be on the first batch of housings :rolleyes::blink:

Edited by Lndr

We also heard from Fantasea that the threaded lens mount will not be on the first batch of housings :rolleyes::blink:

There may be an adapter ring that will work, but I won't know until I see it. I will hopefully be getting a prototype to show at the Long Beach Scuba Show on June 2-3rd. Then I'll also have a chance to dive it.

Jack

Sponsors

Advertisements