NWDiver

Best strobes for WA, given $$$$ are an issue?

Looking to pick up some strobes for WA. Right now looking at:

Ikelite DS200 $874.95

Ikelite 400 $950

S&S 350 $1375

S&S 250

Subtronic Mega $1565

Money is an issue I would love to buy two of the Subtronics but are they really twice as good as the Ikelites or the S&S 350s????

Given the Subtronics are at the really HIGH end of the price range what do you think is the best WA strobes price/performance.

If money is an issue, look at a pair of used Ikelite Substrobe 200s or Sea&Sea 350s. (don't forget to get a good set of strobe arms)

TTL generally is not that useful for wide angle and manual strobe power control (with feedback from your camera's LCD and histograms) will produce better results.

Take Care,

ChrisS

Looking to pick up some strobes for WA. Right now looking at:

Ikelite DS200 $874.95

Ikelite 400 $950

S&S 350 $1375

S&S 250

Subtronic Mega $1565

Money is an issue I would love to buy two of the Subtronics but are they really twice as good as the Ikelites or the S&S 350s????

Given the Subtronics are at the really HIGH end of the price range what do you think is the best WA strobes price/performance.

Hi,

What housing/camera are you using? Will you be using them for local or international diving?

Ikelite DS200 $874.95

Ikelite 400 $950 Too Old and Heavy

S&S 350 $1375 Discontinued

S&S 250 very new and untested

Subtronic Mega $1565 ouch!!

Hi,

What housing/camera are you using? Will you be using them for local or international diving?

Ikelite DS200 $874.95

Ikelite 400 $950 Too Old and Heavy

S&S 350 $1375 Discontinued

S&S 250 very new and untested

Subtronic Mega $1565 ouch!!

Using Nikon D200 in an Aquatica housing so TTL is not an option. Will be traveling with them but have come to terms with paying extra for luggage. Not much use for local diving as here in the PNW a good day is 15 feet of viz. Have a pair of Inon D2000ws, great for macro, CFWA but not enough punch for wrecks, big landscapes, etc.

I'm using the Nikonos Sb 104 with my D2X and I love it. You can buy them at a reasonable price form B&H for $600. If you don't mind buying the import model.

I also just bought a Ikelite Substrobe 400 in mint condition. I'll be taking it with my Sb 104 to

Roatan next week. I hope it works as good as it weighs ?

Marc

NWDiver,

Given the attention they generally receive on this site (where they are also advertisers), I'm surprised that you aren't considering Inons, and that nobody else has mentioned them. I'm now usinga pair of Z-240s and a single D2000w as my standard w/a configuration, and on the whole I like them a lot. The Z240 runs on 4 AAs, weighs in at 567 g. w/o batteries, lists on Inon America website at $749 ($699 at B&H), less than you have listed for the alternatives.

Frogfish

The Z240 only have a guide number 4 higher then the D2000. I am looking for that BIG punch for wrecks and the like. I even heard that the S&S 250 may be a dying project.

If you aren't using ttl, then a pair of SS200 from Ikelite may be an option, keep an eye out in the classifieds on here and eBay.

I just picked up a pair very cheaply. But make sure all the power settings work properly. If the previous owner used ttl on film then they probably didn't use manual at all.

Although, if you already have Inons, you may well be better going the Sea & Sea route to save on getting another type of strobe cable.

check out subtronic novas

Bit the bullet and ordered a pair of Subtronic Novas from Ryan, now just have to keep the bill hidden from the better half -_-

You need to accumulate a secret box of "SCUBA Bucks" !

I notice that you list SB800's in your list of stuff. I just posted the following.

I have a D200 in a Subal housing. I need to replace my two older Ike 100a Substrobes. Can someone tell me why I should NOT buy one more SB800 strobe and put them in housings?

I mean, I already own one SB800. They are only $325. I haven't compared guide numbers with the other popular stuff but other than the fact that they don't look as cool, what would I be giving up? I have no problem shooting on manual so the whole TTL thing isn't really a major issue, but I imagine that it would be available with two SB800's. It certainly seems more economical to not spend $1500 on two strobes that I can only use when diving.

Any comments? I figure I must be missing something since I don't see a lot of posts praising the use of the SB800's in a housing.

Andy

Your posts let me know that they are not your beat all choice for everyday use. Why is that?

Sponsors

Advertisements