holloways

Unbiased source of dive gear reviews (non photo)??

I'm looking for a good source of intel on dive computers (wireless, air integrated) and dive lights.

I know this is not camera related - but though this group migh know a few good sources.

Well don't buy from scuba.com I ordered something from them and they sent an email saying I have to send them my ID to verify my credit card, so I did, then they said that I have to upload it to there server as they cannot open attachments, so I did, then they said they could not send the item as it was under $150 and if I still want it there would be a charge, I said fine, 3 more emails later and I don't know if they are sending it and they don't respond to my emails? why? I read online that quite a few more people have had trouble ordering from them too, so I now have told my bank to watch the credit card and not to authorize any transaction to them, why would you as a company work like this in this day and age when the customer is going to tell the world online about it??

By far the most frank and uncensored reviews are by Divernet UK and of course our very own John Bantin. However it is still very biased to John's whims... which isn't a bad thing most times. :)

By far the most frank and uncensored reviews are by Divernet UK and of course our very own John Bantin. However it is still very biased to John's whims... which isn't a bad thing most times. :excl:

I just go diving with the kit and write what happens. It's not scientific and the manufacturers have stopped threatening legal action now - and I'm pleased to say other magazines ouitside the USA are following my lead. In the USA it seems presumed that if you buy advertising space you buy the opinion of the feature writers too. When that happens at Diver Mag (www.divernet.com), I won't be writing for them any more - or I will need the same reimbursement I got when I worked in the advertising industry! :)

So the Greenforce HID 250's lights were THAT good then John..I need video lights :)

Dive safe

DeanB

So the Greenforce HID 250's lights were THAT good then John..I need video lights :)

Dive safe

DeanB

I'm flattered that you took the time out to read it! Thanks.

No worries...

Burying my head in a good mag reading excellent, non-biased reviews gets me out of the washing up... :)

Dive safe

DeanB

My trouble is living in the Cayman Islands the UK magazines cost stupid amounts to buy and the websites

http://www.divemagazine.co.uk/

http://www.divernet.com/

Are both horrendously busy and give me a headache with all their flashing adverts everywhere. Hence I prefer the US ones.

Shame DIVE magazine is my favourite dive magazine ever, or was when I got it. Great photos every week month Oh and their website is giving me away to people who join !! Lucky People !!

I'm coming in late to this thread, but wanted to join in endorsing the excellent work of our own John Bantin in Diver magazine (UK) - also available on the magazine's website (www.divernet.com). I can't think of another publication out there that regularly runs negative reviews (when John thinks strong criticism is warranted) of equipment, including gear manufactured by some of the biggest names (and advertisers) in the industry. A read through the past "Dive Tests" and "Group Tests" (comparative evaluation of different manufacturers' gear) on their website some afternoon will be time well spent. For a couple of recent examples, check out the comparative test of 15 different regs at 50 meters (July 2006), John's comparison of different computers' algorithms (March 2006).

Diver magazine - and John's - reputation and credibility stands out in a publishing sector that has otherwise been all too willing to sell its soul, and not for much of a price. With most dive magazines, what you get is exactly what the advertisers paid for.

A few smaller magazines which occasionally flirt with objective reporting about dive sites, operators and gear - and should be encouraged. But the rest - and I'm speaking of most dive industry publications in north america and asia, are shameless. One major magazine I could name has a clear policy of running editorial features about a location only when one or more operators agree to stump up sufficient "advertising support". Needless to say, after the operators front up the required fee, there is a clear understanding that the article purchased to accompany the ads will never offend. The situation with dive gear is much the same. Those pages openly identified as "advertising" - in most cases is at least written by professionals - are generally more informative than the "advertorial" matter making up the rest of these mags.

Frogfish

Edited by frogfish

Diver magazine - and John's - reputation and credibility stands out in a publishing sector that has otherwise been all too willing to sell its soul, and not for much of a price. With most dive magazines, what you get is exactly what the advertisers paid for.

Frogfish

Wow! Knowing the quarter from which this comes, it is praise indeed!

If I needed another job I would use it in my CV and put the author's real name at the end!

Thanks a million.

f I needed another job I would use it in my CV and put the author's real name at the end!

Er - can I have your old job John ? :)

Paul C

Sponsors

Advertisements