JimG

Lubrication of Control Buttons

Although I always give my housing (Aquatica) a good soak after a days diving and work the buttons periodically while it is in the tub, I find that occasionally some buttons get "sticky". I am thinking about carrying an eyedropper and putting a drop of lubricant around these buttons from time to time. Obviously I do not want to harm the o-rings and wondered about using something organic like olive oil.....or perhaps something a little bit thinner.

Any views on whether this would be a good....or bad thing to do? Any suggestions about which lubricant to use?

All help will be gratefully received

Hi Jim,

I'd send it back for a service, or if you are feeling brave service it yourself, you probably have a build up of salt/dirt/algae in the buttons.

Also, if you keep adding grease/oil its going to attract more dirt and trap more slat water, i'd avoid this approach. the control orings just need a light smear of grease

Hi Jim,

I'd send it back for a service, or if you are feeling brave service it yourself, you probably have a build up of salt/dirt/algae in the buttons.

Also, if you keep adding grease/oil its going to attract more dirt and trap more slat water, i'd avoid this approach. the control orings just need a light smear of grease

I'd be very careful and use only silicone grease not a petroleum product. As petroleum products will eat Buna type o-rings for breakfast. Try applying a lightly coat of silicone to the button shaft and working it in and out, see if that helps.

Marc

Hi,

I too have had Aquatica housings for some years and have experienced no problems. I generally lubricate the control buttons after any significant use -- and utilize the Christo-Lube (white) lubricant supplied with their housings for the past several years . . .

Simply place a small amount on the edge of a jeweller's standard screwdriver and place it on the inside portion of the button shaft(s) of the housing while pushing in that given button. Applying it to the shaft and pressing it a few times will do plenty to lubricate it and its o-rings which are not user-serviceable. I would not suggest using olive oil or anything else which could affect sealing . . .

Although I always give my housing (Aquatica) a good soak after a days diving and work the buttons periodically while it is in the tub, I find that occasionally some buttons get "sticky". I am thinking about carrying an eyedropper and putting a drop of lubricant around these buttons from time to time. Obviously I do not want to harm the o-rings and wondered about using something organic like olive oil.....or perhaps something a little bit thinner.

Any views on whether this would be a good....or bad thing to do? Any suggestions about which lubricant to use?

All help will be gratefully received

Hi,

"I generally lubricate the control buttons after any significant use -- and utilize the Christo-Lube (white) lubricant supplied with their housings for the past several years . . ."

I use Crisco to grease the bottom of my cake pans, I didn't realize it was good for controls?

Christo, I thought you said Crisco, never mind.

Just kidding,

Marc

Regarding Ike specifics:

Is it recommended to take out the controls and lubricate the small O-rings from time to time? (What time?

)

Is it possible to buy the needed O-rings somewhere to replace? And is it recommended to replace the controls O-rings from time to time?

The housing manufacturer should have a rebuild kit available which would include ALL the o-rings for the housing & maybe a few misc parts. I suggest having a new o-ring for a control available before you remove the old one from the housing, in case the seal does need to be replaced. Depending on use & the type of water you dive in (clean or really silty), housings should be overhauled every 1-2 yrs.

We do have a Rebuilt Kit of O-ring If you provide me with the housing model (for which camera) i'll get your the catalog number or you can download the retail price list from our web site which contain all the O-ring kit available.

http://www.aquatica.ca/catalog.htm

Loligo's method is what I recommend, a dab of Christo-Lube on a tooth pick and push or rotate the buttons and controls to work the grease in. Do Not Use olive oil or other type of lubricant, leave those to Funny guy Marc so that he can do his cooking ;).

Thanks everybody for your advice. I'll stick with Loligo's/Viz'Art's advice and see how it shapes up

Update: after Second check there is a rebuild kit for Ikelite housings, took some time to find it but found it at last on the most obvious place: B&H

Only rarely will you come up against a non standard size seal or O-Ring - it is simply a matter of cost.

Buying standard parts off the shelf is cheaper.

If you can persuade someone with a vernier gauge to measure the old ring you will often be able to obtain them locally.

Having said that Ikelite use Quad rings in their housings which were available from my local bearing supply outfit but were a 'special order'.

For anyone interested in Quad Rings there is data here

Paul C

Hello,

The Christo-Lube formula favored by Aquatica is MCG-111. The small tubes retail for around US 30.00 -- but a little goes along way. I have used the same tube for over a year.

Another great feature of the grease is its relative lack of stickiness -- less an attactant for sand and hair . . .

Anyone know which specific Christo-lube Aquatica uses? There's a few different ones here:

http://www.lubricationtechnology.com/sitemap.htm

It would be nice to order a tube of the stuff.

Cheers,

Marli

Hi,

Another source for Christolube is Scubatools.com. They have both 111 and 129. Anyone know the difference?

Bill

Sponsors

Advertisements