kotheimer

HC3: Ikelite vs. Sea&Sea and Image-Reversing Circuit

I just got my HC3 and I'm scrambling to get my housing before my next dive.

As much as I like the looks and form-factor of the Seatool and the looks AND reputation of the Gates, L&M, etc., I have to stay on a budget (I actually sold an original-model DVX-100 to buy an HC3 and housing!).... So I've settled on the Sea&Sea VX-S1 or the Ikelite.

What I can't find explained ANYWHERE I look is exactly how the Image-Reversing circuitry of the Ikelite works AND whether this is a standard feature of the Sea&Sea. I get mixed messages from Sea&Sea website and product descriptions as to whether they have this. It might be easier to find out for sure if I know what I'm asking them.

It IS a function of the housing, right? I mean, I own an HC3 now, and I've been through the menus and the manual. It does not appear to be a camera option to go into mirror mode unless the screen is out and toward the subject, not when it's flipped back against the camera body. So is this some aftermarket image-reversing module that plugs into the LANC port, or how does this operate in order to present the image correctly when reflected in the mirror? Is it a separate device with its own power supply? Is that what's used in higher-end housings like the Seatool (and above)? Can I buy one separately somewhere if I buy a housing with mirror but no image-reverse function?

Also, aside from the White Balance issue, which I've read in depth, I'd be interested in any other thoughts about choosing between these two particular housings. My experience with Ikelite's purely-mechanical approach was less than ideal when I borrowed an HC-42 housing for a Key Largo trip and couldn't turn the camera on and off once the cover was on. I'd consider sacrificing some functionality for a more-elegant set of electronic controls.

Thanks for any an all help on this. My dedicated "housing fund" is burning a hole in my BCD pocket!

bk

Edited by Kotheimer

It's part of the Ikelite housing. I think you just plug it in.

This housing includes (IRC) Image Reversing Circuitry. The circuit reverses (flips) the image and text on the LCD screen so that when the image is reflected in the External Mirror, it appears correct left-to-right.

If you're on Digital Diver, Robin has it: http://www.digitaldiver.net/yabbse/index.p...rofile;user=RnR

Edited by sjspeck

Image-Reversing circuitry. I don't have the H-3 but am shooting an older TRV-50 with a Nimar housing, The nimar housing is like the Ikelite and uses a mirror.

When I open my housing door and flip it over, the image flips, also the start and stop wording has changed to a Icon that's green and red. The battery meter does not show time and shows just a bar. With it flipped over I close the door with the screen facing out and everything is the same. When you put a mirror up to the camera the image is flipped the right way, You can check this by taking the camera to your bath room, open the mirror cabinet door and look at the mirror. Your image should look left and right just like that way your looking or if the wife has a small mirrow borrow it and put it up to the screen and look at the mirrow. The Image-Reversing circuitry must be reversing the words that are for the screen. I could be wrong since I don't own the HC-3 and it's possible it changes thing with the door flipped back.

Thanks for the help so far. And for the private messages I got offering me deals on other alternative housings -- I actually appreciate having choices.

I wrote to Ikelite about this also, and here's their reply, which was pretty comprehensive I think:

Hi Brett,

The circuit we designed allows the camera's LCD to be reversed and unreversed when the LCD is turned upside down and put against the body for viewing. If the LCD is just opened normally in a 90 degree position, the circuit will not effect the image. There is a switch the LCD door hits when it is against the body that it does not hit when opened. We have designed a circuit using the data codes for the camera that allows the image to be reversed that plugs into the ILINK or remote port of the camera. This works only for Sony models that have the plug in and varies from camera model to camera model. As of right now we have three different versions of the circuit and how they operate with the cameras.

Regards,

Glenn Goodrich

Ikelite Underwater Systems

Video Supervisor/ Mfg. Engr.

I would assume that this is what other manufacturers are doing as well. So everyone else with a mirror on the side of your housing, are you plugging something into the LANC or ILINK port when you put the camera in?

I would assume that this is what other manufacturers are doing as well. So everyone else with a mirror on the side of your housing, are you plugging something into the LANC or ILINK port when you put the camera in?

I currently use the Ikelite housing for my Sony HC3. There is a little black box inside the right-side of the housing with a small red micro-switch, accessible underwater by a control rod. Out of the black box is a cable that plugs into the LANC port of the HC3.

As soon as you turn on the camera underwater, the image on the flipped-over side display is reversed so that, when viewed through the flip-out side mirror that is on the outside of the housing, everything looks the right way round. It is a reasonable compromise and better then using the eye-piece monitor for most shots.

If you want to access the touch menu on the display panel (e.g. to set white balance), you have to press the red button to flip the image back to the right way round. Then press it again when you want to go back to using it as a viewfinder.

Also, for some unexplained reason, when you turn the camcorder off, it does not switch off until you press the red button as well. You can waste battery if you forget to do this.

It works but takes some getting used to...

Regards

Peter

Sponsors

Advertisements