Sign in to follow this  
Scuba_SI

Inon / Nexus 45 degree viewfinder

Hi All,

Does anyone have experience with the new Inon / Nexus Viewfinder for the D200? I find the new 2 piece viewfinder to be a total PITA and am contemplating this option.

Any input would be great!

Thanks,

Simon

We studied this ferture a long time as my wife is 'sold' on Nexus.

We decided against it for the following reasons. While it projects no more than the SeaCam 45* unit that also mounts through a plexiglas back, the Nexus plastic back is about 1/4" thick and bolted from the inside with small screws, about 6-32 or 5-40. At an approximate threaded contact of 3/16"-7/32" we were concerned that a blow to the view finder would place a moment load high enough to strip out the attachment screws. On the other hand, SeaCam mounts through about 1/2" - 58" thick plate.

For slow action macro, especially down in the sand, we thought the 45* unit was superior to a straight viewer. But for a snap shot, we were concerned that long imprinted habits would be hard to break in not bringing the viewer straight to the eye. Lastly, is this

viewer/modification a Nexus option or an after market addition?

The preceeding should in no way be considered a detrimental opinion of the Nexus housing per see - We feel it is one of the top housings on the market.

We settled on Subal with their straight viewer.

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the reply, i already have the housing, i agree the Subal GS viewfinder is a better one, but i think that is reflected in the price. I would have gone for the subal had i not sold all my subal ports about 18 months ago!

And yes, it is after-market, you have to send your housing back, or convince the dealer to send you the whole plexiglass plate to reinstall.

I'm looking for someone who had the standard housing then upgraded, was it worth it?

Hi,

Nexus/Inon view finder was started by MCD but, is now avialable directly from Nexus. I am going to order one soon.

Sam

I checked out the Inon 45 deg. viewfinder above water at a dive expo. While the 45 degree angle might be good for some close to the bottom work, I do not like the attitude for general shooting. I love my ole Rollie TLR, but composing is much slower than an SLR. I share the concern about mounting on an acrylic back. I think the whole back would need to be replace with a new plexi back an aluminum mounting plate for the viewfinder. OR, best yet Toshi could design us a new 100% view of the camera view.

I must admit that I was dubious of how easy the 45 degree finder would be for general shooting. However, I've used it twice in the pool with a combination of both wa and macro lenses and after getting used not to putting your eye right up to the plate, have found it easier to use and compose than anticipated. I'm also happy with the build and fit on the plexiglass back, though will of course be taking extra care when handling/storing etc. I feel with common sense applied it shouldn't be an excessive weak spot. Up to now I've heard of no issues with the finder (and hope that I'm not going to be the first!).

Looking at how reluctatnt Nexus and other housing manufacturers have been in the past to modify/adapt housings, I don't see any major change coming soon where the finder is concerned, especially when the feedback is generally very positive anyway.

Andy

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements