sgietler

sea-n-sea macro port - compact or standard?

I'm trying to understand the tradeoffs between getting either a standard flat port & SX extension ring, or a compact macro port base and a port 52.

I'd be using a nikon 60mm and 105mm VR lens.

I've heard the compact macro port setup makes the buoyancy underwater better, but introduced another o-ring. does anyone have any opinions which is the better way to go? I checked with a couple dive shops I trust and got conflicting answers...

thanks,

Scott

Scott, you might want to double check to make sure the 105mmVR fits in the compact macro port as that lens is pretty fat. While I don't use Nikon, the Canon 100mm USM macro with a thin focus ring will just squeeze into the compact macro port.

Have you looked at the new DX port and ext made for the 105VR?

The 105VR will fit in the old compact macro port. but they've made a DX port for the 105VR.

With the old port, you won't be able to use manual focus, so if you want to use manual focus, that's not an option.

With the new port DX port base and DX macro port, you'll be able to use the 105VR with manual focus and also the 60mm fits. The only complaint that i have is the manual focus ring is extremely expensive. It's much more expensive than the other focus rings.

In any case, I don't think the SX extension ring makes big difference in terms of buoyancy.

I have used both the NX macro port base with the port 79 and also the DX macro port base and DX macro port 50.

I find the difference to be insignificant. I personally bought the DX port system. I think it works pretty well.

I am reluctant to add another o-ring in the system, unless it's going to make a huge difference. I personally find my setup pretty good alright. In any case, if you really want to play around with buoyancy, I think it would be better to play around with buoyany arms rather than add another o-ring in the system. Just my 2cent.

Hope this helps...

Edited by moliu

Hi Scott,

The best way is to go with the new DX macro port system for the 105VR. Here is the reason I came to this conclusion.

On the inside of the standard flat port (and the custom flat port) near the front is a "nub" or "hump" that sticks up (for reasons unknown!). When using the SX extension ring this nub will prevent you from being able install the lens as the filter ring on the front of the lens will hit this nub. Before SS came out with the new VR port system and gear, we had our machinist mill that nub down so that people could shoot the lens in autofocus unit the new gear came out. Much to our suprise, when the new port and gear came out, the gear is so fat that it won't fit in either the standard or custom flat port!

With the new DX port system and gear I reallly like the ability to use the focus knob on the housing rather than on the port. I find it more comfortable that having to take my left hand off the handle.

Jim

Sponsors

Advertisements