Sign in to follow this  
Aqua_Ape

Mask Diopters?

Hey all,

This should probably be in the beginners forum, but I can't see my whole frame in my housing. I'm shooting a 5D in an Aquatica housing. I can't see anywhere near the whole frame. I read that some people use +2 diopters in one side on their masks to see the smaller details on the LCD screen. Would this help in seeing more of the viewfinder? It's driving me crazy because I can't really work on composition, let alone see my exposure indicator. I'm basically chimping exposure, but this really doesn't work for things that, well, move. Lots of cards full of tube anemones so far. Oh, I'm right handed but left eye dominate if that helps at all. I've been drooling over Aquatica's magnifier, but I cant really drop $1500 on it. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan.

Dan,

I've never looked through your Nexus housing, but inability to see the whole frame probably has to do with the optics of your housing, or the lack thereof. Some (but not all) housings have optional optics packages that reduce the size of the viewfinder image to make it easier to see all of it.

Try looking through the viewfinder of the camera and housing topside without a mask. It might be that a lower volume mask would allow you to move your eye closer and improve the view. Otherwise, check and see if it's possible to retrofit new viewfinder optics to your housing. I warn you, however that the cost may be steep. The other downside is that the viewfinder optics will make it more difficult to see and confirm focus.

Frogfish

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements