DParsells

Has anyone used the WET MATE lens?

I just purchased a Wet Mate Lens from BackScatter and was surprised to find it came with no instructions on its use or tips for successful photographs. It did not even come with an allan wrench to tighten it onto the port. Does anyone have any experience with this lens that could afford me any tips as I am going to Fiji in several weeks and would like to use the lens with some degree of confidence.

Hi,

Light & Motion used to supply 'Wet Mate' close-up lens (also, called diopter. Popular one is Woodi's nexus diopter) for Titan housings & I guess that is what he is refering to. If it is close-up lens, you are not missing much by not having manual of it.

Close-up lens(either Wet or Dry. 'Wet' you can change in underwater & 'Dry' you can only change when camera/lens is opened/removed from housing) makes high magnification close-up photography possible by shortening the close focus distance, allowing the photographer to get closer to the subject. It usually give 1.4 to 2.0x magnification to macro lens you are using.

Sam

Edited by shchae

I think Eric Chen has used it extensively. I am too chicken to spend $500 and it's yet another piece of equipment to haul around. But I am sure you can, under the right circumstances, nab some killer shots.

Joe

It's geared more for a 105mm lens! Just get i there and snap away! I believe Andy Martinez uses his pretty extensively!

Hi Joe hows your system!

Cheers,

Lee :rolleyes:

Hi Lee,

The system is excellent. Thanks for all of your help. Greatly appreciated.

Joe

I use one all the time , my success rate is not 100% but when you get it , its all worth while.

I you search the sourthern end of Larr'ys secret bay - you are sure to find at least two of mine and one of my clients

Come on down to cairns and I will run a workshop for you on just that accessory - your bound to chuck it as far away as you can..............

Edited by pmooney

Hi,

The MacroMate will yield 2:1 macro on a 100 or 105 lens. It works by allowing the lens to focus at closer distances. As far as tips for use, I suggest using small apertures, at least F22 or higher to start with. This is because the depth of field will be pretty thin (around 1/8 inch at F22). Other tips are to use your focus lock and move the housing to achieve your final focus. I would start with strobes at full power and adjust as needed. It can be a little tricky at first, but you'll get the hang of it!

Jim

Hi,

The MacroMate will yield 2:1 macro on a 100 or 105 lens. It works by allowing the lens to focus at closer distances. As far as tips for use, I suggest using small apertures, at least F22 or higher to start with. This is because the depth of field will be pretty thin (around 1/8 inch at F22). Other tips are to use your focus lock and move the housing to achieve your final focus. I would start with strobes at full power and adjust as needed. It can be a little tricky at first, but you'll get the hang of it!

Jim

I have a MacroMate and I can attest that it is tricky to use, especially when there is a current. I strongly recommend the method of locking the focus and moving the entire camera in and out. My 5D with 100mm macro will autofocus, but it is pretty hit or miss. On the other hand, when it works, it is awesome! On my first time out with it I managed to come back with the following image. Click on it for more details.

357926461_471706db10_o.jpg

Sponsors

Advertisements