Taxgeek

Canon 5d hotshoe signals - help?

I (well, actually my dad), want(s) to make a little thingy for my 5d. Just in case my sync cords go kaput.

I use Ikelite's clear housing for my 5d. So we wanted to rig up a little bitty flash (from a single use camera, probably) which will fire on the "fire" signal from the 5d's hotshoe. That little bitty flash would trigger the ike manual controller through the housing, and thus the big strobes. No need for any TTL, would use the strobes in manual mode.

Any reason this wouldn't work?

I can't seem to find any information out there on which pin does what on the hot shoe though.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks.

Taxgeek/Susan

And indeed if that doesn't make sense - it's not the clearest diagram ever - the metal edge of the hotshoe is ground, but you need to pick it up on the inside of the shoe, since the outside is painted black, and the large round contact in the middle is the x-sync. The other 4 contacts are for E-TTL, don't connect those to anything.

The camera will short the x-sync to ground when it fires. It can stand up to 250v across these terminals, so your father must bear that in mind when designing the little flash thingy.

It's a cute idea, but surely after spending many thousands on your rig, buying a few spare sync chords would be a better fall back than this? Sounds prone to backscatter and poor slave pickup. YMMV.

Martyn

Hi Rattus, thank you so much for the great information.

And yeah, I have extra sync cords. It's just that last (and only - luckily) time I flooded a sync cord, it fried the housing electornics , so just switching sync cords isn't necessarily feasible.

The little flasher thingy is proving to be quite a design problem because it is difficult to keep the capacitor charged in the little flash - in those little throwaway cameras, remember there's a button they make you push to activate the flash? Well, we would have to design something equivalent for this, it's getting kind of complicated. But I'm still hopeful! :o

Maybe Ike should just design one we can buy. That would be simpler! :)

Susan

Sponsors

Advertisements