Sign in to follow this  
tx51210

To upgrade or wait??? C-8080 to what??

I currently own a Oly C-8080 in an Ikelite housing with DS50 strobe. It is in mint condition and I have not been diving recently. I have a trip coming up this June and am getting ready to tune up and was considering (ok, I am always considering) upgrading some equipment. I just do not currently see much in the new and improved camera arena for diving purposes. I believe the lack of RAW on most advanced P&S cameras is a very limiting factor when diving.

The 8080 has performed well but does write RAW files slowly. The SP550 looked promising but that long lens looks like it might be a problem to house (if Ikelite produces a housing before June). I saw the AA battery option and thought what the *&^*!!# were they thinking. I know I can get the rechargables, but I prefer dealing with one higher quality battery. How much faster can the SP550 write a RAW file?

What would you do to upgrade?

1. Is there a better P&S rig?

2. Keep the 8080 and get a bigger strobe?

3. Get a 2 handle tray and add a strobe? (which strobe?)

I have avoided housing my DSLR, but this may be something I do down the road. I just hate tripling the cost and doubling the luggage, then wind up diving with a fixed lens. I enjoy this stuff but I have a lot to learn before I spend that much money.

http://www.pbase.com/jeff_edwards_tx/cozumel_2005

i agree with you that the newer cameras really don't add a lot of options etc over your 8080.

I think you would be well served buying a second strobe, do you have WA and macro conversion lenses as well?

If you are thinking about switching to SLR down the road then i think a better idea is to add an Ike DS125 to your present setup, then you can use those two strobes with the SLR down the line.

i agree with you that the newer cameras really don't add a lot of options etc over your 8080.

I think you would be well served buying a second strobe, do you have WA and macro conversion lenses as well?

If you are thinking about switching to SLR down the road then i think a better idea is to add an Ike DS125 to your present setup, then you can use those two strobes with the SLR down the line.

I went from an 8080 to a D200. The 8080 shutter lag was terrible, raw was an advantage over other P&S cameras. The D200 rig was much more expensive and heavy. But the D200 has no shutter lag and takes far better pictures.

If there ever comes out a P&S about the size of the card like current models, without shutterlag and shoots in RAW, I would get one. 40+ pounds of camera gear is a pain on your back. DSLRs are great but heavy and expensive.

I like inon (lighter)flashes over ikelight otherwise I agree with Mike.

Octopus,

I just tried one of the new Olys (waterproof version) in the store and zippo shutter lag. I can't wait to try out the new UZ550. The camera reads pretty awesome. I does have the RAW support so it will be interesting to see how it performs topside.

If your housing has a hard wired strobe bulkhead then stick with the ikelites.

I'd get a DS125 or DS51 depending on funds and a dual cable, this will allow you have ttl and 100% accurate, no messing around with slaves. Then if you decide to go upto a housed dslr all you do is change the cable.

I don think theres anything out there that is a massive step up, other than shutter lag.

But you may find that the slow shutter lag, although a pain, helps you compose better as you know you cant take another one straight away.

If you are getting bored and need a new gadget, how about an inon fisheye adapter, will it fit your housing?

Other thn that, magic filters and close up dioptres should give you lots of new techniques to practise on a dive.

Octopus,

I just tried one of the new Olys (waterproof version) in the store and zippo shutter lag. I can't wait to try out the new UZ550. The camera reads pretty awesome. I does have the RAW support so it will be interesting to see how it performs topside.

Looks promising, 7.1 megapixels, and an olympus housing PT-037 Underwater Housing for the SP-550 UZ/Replacement Accessories

Item: #202109-410

But not that compact. My wife bought a 725SW for surface and shallow use goes down to 16 feet. Should be good for snorkling when I don't want to lug the D200.

Looks promising, 7.1 megapixels, and an olympus housing PT-037 Underwater Housing for the SP-550 UZ/Replacement Accessories

Item: #202109-410

But not that compact. My wife bought a 725SW for surface and shallow use goes down to 16 feet. Should be good for snorkling when I don't want to lug the D200.

I sold the C-8080, Housing and Strobe. I am currently scrimping every penny and selling everything not tied down to fund a Housing Setup for my D200. The prices are just ridiculous.

I am leaning toward Ikelite because of iTTL, I can understand their website port information and because they don't gouge quite as badly as the other housing vendors for every little port assembly piece. If I recycle a few more cans and sell some more blood, maybe I can get back into the underwater photography by the end of the month. :D

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements