Sign in to follow this  
tx51210

Is the Ikelite DS-200 too Big??

I have been looking at the DS-200 or DS-125 for a matching dual strobe setup, but I have seen a number of comments on the size/weight of the DS-200 that leads me to believe that it may not be worth hauling around. What are you opinions of the DS-200? Is the light output of the DS-200 superior to the DS-125 in wide angle, portrait and macro? Is it enough to justify the difference and when?

Adorama

DS-125-2.75 lbs-$819

DS-200-3.90 lbs-$1,299.95

Total 2.3 lbs and $961.90 difference in a dual strobe setup. My wallet definitely feels the difference, but what else. ^_^

Thanks for you input. Donations accepted.

Jeff

If possible, please refrain from bringing other brands of strobes to the discussion. I wish to keep on the Ikelite path for now. No offence intended to Inon and other strobe fans.

Sorry I thought I posted this under the strobe and lighting section. Shows you should not try to work and post.

Edited by tx51210

Hi Jeff,

I have a pair of 125's and a pair of 200's (only the older SS though).

What camera and housing do you have?

I bought the 200's as backups for my 125's, and as they have a little more power i thought they might be useful for wide-angle on my D200 (ISO 100), as i was using a D70 before (ISO 200).

Does your quoted weight of a DS200 include the battery? I just sent a ss200 (identical other that a circuitboard) back for repair and it was that weight without battery, the battery is heavy too.

Will you be travelling a lot? if you're going to be flying to some remote places you might want to save a few pounds by going for the 125's

$900 is a nice new lens!

EDIT:

ok, i just wieghed them with batteries and ulcs mounts..

DS125 2lb 11oz

SS200 4lb 6oz

You might also want to look at some of the other features besides just weight and cost.

Full power flashes:

DS125 - 250

DS200 - 160

Recycle time:

DS125 - 1 sec

DS200 - 1.6 sec

The Ike website doesn't say if there are any differences in recharging times.

David

I have 2 DS125's and they are just right, I also have a 200 but never use it. Oh and by the way $819 is expensive, try Ryan Canon, great guy and quick service and most important way cheaper!!

http://www.reefphoto.com/index.php?main_pa...75bffd1f09b289a

The price I listed and linked were for a strobe package that included battery, smart charger, ball and soccet arm system and sync cord. Adorama appears to have lower prices than Ryan Canon.

It was a great day for me when I sold my 200's (old model) and bought the DS125s. The weight and size difference makes a big difference both traveling and diving. I like the faster recycle time of the 125 and your arms don't need to be tightened near as much.

Particularly the new NiMH batteries for the 125s make a big difference in the number of shots your get.

I didn't really notice the lesser power of the 125. Seems like a non issue to me.

Hi Jeff,

I have a pair of 125's and a pair of 200's (only the older SS though).

What camera and housing do you have?

I bought the 200's as backups for my 125's, and as they have a little more power i thought they might be useful for wide-angle on my D200 (ISO 100), as i was using a D70 before (ISO 200).

Does your quoted weight of a DS200 include the battery? I just sent a ss200 (identical other that a circuitboard) back for repair and it was that weight without battery, the battery is heavy too.

Will you be travelling a lot? if you're going to be flying to some remote places you might want to save a few pounds by going for the 125's

$900 is a nice new lens!

EDIT:

ok, i just wieghed them with batteries and ulcs mounts..

DS125 2lb 11oz

SS200 4lb 6oz

I got the weights from the Adorama website specs for the strobes. I am looking at housing a D200 and I am struggling with what lens to house. I have added up some the equipment and had to go eat some rolaids. I am looking at replacing my C-8080 rig and am starting to wonder if I am nuts.

Anyway: After looking over some popular lens choices, I am setting back and thinking that since I have shot Nikon for a long time I should try to use some of the lenses I already own before I plop down money on a housing, ports, strobes AND ANOTHER LENS. ^_^

I already own the following Nikors 10.5, 12-14, 28-70 and some others that seem to be dove by others frequently. I am tempted by but do not own the 60mm macro.

Wide angle has never been much of an option for the C-8080 with a DS-50, but since I have some wide angle lenses for the D200, I have wondered if I should try to get the larger flashes for the 10.5 and 12-24. Unless I am mistaken, I am hesitant to go this route because I expect wide angle shots to be a lot harder to compose and get good results than fish potrait and macro. Am I wrong or should I just get a 60 and live with that for a while?

It was a great day for me when I sold my 200's (old model) and bought the DS125s. The weight and size difference makes a big difference both traveling and diving. I like the faster recycle time of the 125 and your arms don't need to be tightened near as much.

Particularly the new NiMH batteries for the 125s make a big difference in the number of shots your get.

I didn't really notice the lesser power of the 125. Seems like a non issue to me.

I am really leary that a really heavy rig will make me regret the DS-200. How have your DS-125's performed at wider angles?

Edited by tx51210

For the cost of a pair of DS-200 you can probably get a pair of DS-125's AND a pair of good quality second hand SS-200.

I dont think you should decide on strobes until you have decided on your housing, which ones are you looking at?

I'm using a Nexus D200, i moan about it a lot, but that is just my nature! I think if i didnt have any ports i would probably go for aquatica.... They are always listening on here and ready to help. They will love it when i finally make the switch and start moaning!

You will definitely want a macro lens, either 60mm or 105mm, go to a camera store and try them both if you can. I started with the 105mm on film, after using my digicam for a period of a few months i used to love going back to the 105mm as it was such an extreme lens, and something i definitely couldn't have done with my old point and shoot.

Lets face it, you are in for an expensive time! You already have great wideangle lenses, so that has 'saved' you some money ^_^

My 125's are fine at wider angles, there are just very rare instances that i want more power, so i picked up some SS200 for that purpose with the intention of getting back into diving on a daily basis. My gut feeling is that you may be better served by the DS125, it is a strobe that loads of people use and are very happy with it.

You probably do not want the package with arms included unless you buy the Ikelite D200 housing. If you buy a non ikelite housing, look at the buoyancy arm thread on here, they are cheap and appear to be working well in most cases, if not go for ULCS or the aquatica ones.

Simon

For the cost of a pair of DS-200 you can probably get a pair of DS-125's AND a pair of good quality second hand SS-200.

I dont think you should decide on strobes until you have decided on your housing, which ones are you looking at?

I'm using a Nexus D200, i moan about it a lot, but that is just my nature! I think if i didnt have any ports i would probably go for aquatica.... They are always listening on here and ready to help. They will love it when i finally make the switch and start moaning!

You will definitely want a macro lens, either 60mm or 105mm, go to a camera store and try them both if you can. I started with the 105mm on film, after using my digicam for a period of a few months i used to love going back to the 105mm as it was such an extreme lens, and something i definitely couldn't have done with my old point and shoot.

Lets face it, you are in for an expensive time! You already have great wideangle lenses, so that has 'saved' you some money ^_^

My 125's are fine at wider angles, there are just very rare instances that i want more power, so i picked up some SS200 for that purpose with the intention of getting back into diving on a daily basis. My gut feeling is that you may be better served by the DS125, it is a strobe that loads of people use and are very happy with it.

You probably do not want the package with arms included unless you buy the Ikelite D200 housing. If you buy a non ikelite housing, look at the buoyancy arm thread on here, they are cheap and appear to be working well in most cases, if not go for ULCS or the aquatica ones.

Simon

Simon,

This is your fault and I expect you to answer to my wife for the problems you have created!! :)

I jumped over to your website and it was the final straw. After looking over your macro shots, I hit B&H and ordered the 105vr lens. So when my wife hits the ceiling, I am totally blaming you. :)

Since you now owe me, tell me why you would not get an Ikelite housing. To me the size looks similar and there are some pluses to both materials for housings, but what features do you dislike about Ikelite? I have never been much on manual flash control and the best thing I ever did was switch to the sync cord on the Oly 8080 housing. I expect the TTL to be a big help, am I wrong?

Thanks for the feedback on the DS-125's. I think I will save my money and back and go with the smaller strobes.

Edited by tx51210

I used the SS200's for years. Carried 3 for trips. I finally switched to the DS125's. Sometimes I miss the power. The 200's can let you do things that you wouldn't ordinarily do. But the weight savings and handling are much improved.

If you need to save money. I've got one or two SS200's left. Since you are in Dallas, I can even deliver. ^_^

Hi again,

I'm not saying don't get an ikelite, there are people out there using them and getting far better pictures than me!

The reasons im not so keen are the mounting of the ports, i've never seen it happen but you do hear stories of wobbly ports, although this might only be 0.0000000000001% of users with a loud voice. My old excuse used to be that they had poor quality wide angle optics, but they seem to have fixed that with their big dome port.

I am also not sure about the 105mmVR in the Ikelite, as it is a fat lens, maybe someone can chime in on that?

I personally fell for the Nexus system after holding a D100 housing about 5 years ago, it was probably just the handles to be honest, but it sat so nicely in my hands compared to the housings i had back then (Ikelite and Subal)

I think Woody Mahew is based in Tx, he supplies Nexus and Ikelite Stobes, Texas is only a small state, fancy a drive? ^_^

Aquatica have a very loyal following on here, do a search for aquatica and you'll find lots of feedback from the manufacturer, just as Ike Bingham used to do with Ikelite (which Ikelite continue to do).

As for TTL, i wouldn't turn it down if i was offered it, but i don't really miss it that much.

When it comes around to buying time, it might be worth taking the wife on a shopping trip to NY, California or Florida so you can actually pick one up in the store and see what you like and what fits your hands.

Obviously don't take her to the shop with you........

EDIT:

There seems to be a few sales of D200 housings for both Ikelite and Sea and Sea from time to time on here and eBay, maybe keep an eye out for a bargain?

Hi again,

I'm not saying don't get an ikelite, there are people out there using them and getting far better pictures than me!

The reasons im not so keen are the mounting of the ports, i've never seen it happen but you do hear stories of wobbly ports, although this might only be 0.0000000000001% of users with a loud voice. My old excuse used to be that they had poor quality wide angle optics, but they seem to have fixed that with their big dome port.

I am also not sure about the 105mmVR in the Ikelite, as it is a fat lens, maybe someone can chime in on that?

I personally fell for the Nexus system after holding a D100 housing about 5 years ago, it was probably just the handles to be honest, but it sat so nicely in my hands compared to the housings i had back then (Ikelite and Subal)

I think Woody Mahew is based in Tx, he supplies Nexus and Ikelite Stobes, Texas is only a small state, fancy a drive? ^_^

Aquatica have a very loyal following on here, do a search for aquatica and you'll find lots of feedback from the manufacturer, just as Ike Bingham used to do with Ikelite (which Ikelite continue to do).

As for TTL, i wouldn't turn it down if i was offered it, but i don't really miss it that much.

When it comes around to buying time, it might be worth taking the wife on a shopping trip to NY, California or Florida so you can actually pick one up in the store and see what you like and what fits your hands.

Obviously don't take her to the shop with you........

EDIT:

There seems to be a few sales of D200 housings for both Ikelite and Sea and Sea from time to time on here and eBay, maybe keep an eye out for a bargain?

Thanks for the Feedback.

It is interesting that you mentioned loose ports on the Ikelite as I was reading a similar thread on the lack of port locks on the Aquatica.

I know Ikelite has improved their product lineup over the past few years and the new dome port has attracted my attention. I have been pleased with the quality and build of my existing Ikelite housing and I was glad to see the D200 was not a complete box housing, keeping it a little smaller. If the quality and functionality is similar I am having a hard time justifying the extra expense and the ability to purchase from NY vendors without tax is another savings.

I am keeping my eye out for used systems and will keep my mind open.

Keep up the good work. You have some really nice stuff on your website.

Jeff

I used the SS200's for years. Carried 3 for trips. I finally switched to the DS125's. Sometimes I miss the power. The 200's can let you do things that you wouldn't ordinarily do. But the weight savings and handling are much improved.

If you need to save money. I've got one or two SS200's left. Since you are in Dallas, I can even deliver. ^_^

Thanks, but if I keep saving money this way, I will have to file for bankruptcy.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements