Scuba_SI

Inon Viewfinder for Nexus

Ok!

I got my hands on one of these puppies this morning, it took me about 15minutes to fit it (this is the bit that manufacturers would normally do).

My 'need' for one of these was the supposedly advanced viewfinder on the Nexus D200, On my D70, i had a little piece of perspex which i clipped on the camera (easy to lose so i bought 2). The D200 has a dioptre system where you can choose the one that fits your planned dive, either high magnification for ensuring proper focus at super macro, or a reducing viewfinder.

I never got round to using the magnifying one. I found the reducing one would work great on land, i'd calibrate it on the focus points without a lens on etc, but as soon as i got underwater it was all blurred. Now, i know i was on a party trip at Christmas, but i didn't drink that much, honest! I spent many frustrating dives adjusting the viewfinder to try to make it work, but couldn't. It must have been user error, but i lost faith in this gadget.

view1.jpg

Once i got the new backplate into my housing it took a matter of seconds to remove and refit the viewfinder, so it will be easy to remove for travel. But it doesn't come with a fancy carrying case, so be prepared to find an old marble bag or something to keep it in. I would also recommend making a dummy plug to fit in the hole for the time in transit. I'm going to have a go on a lathe to make one soon.

I've looked through an RS and an F5 in a housing before, a long time ago, but to me this is pretty close. I can see the whole area of the viewfinder from about 1" away, and even those funny bits of writing that light up from time to time!

With a twist you get a click when it reaches 90, 180 and 270 degrees, which is great for vertical/horizontal shots. The 45 degree angle of the viewfinder is, to me, perfect. I looked at a seacam 45degree viewfinder in the past and to be honest thought it was a crap idea, but i didn't dare pick up the housing. This feels so comfortable and will i think be really easy to use once i get used to it uw.

The Image below shows the view from inside the housing, looking at the attached viewfinder.

view2.jpg

The Image Below shows the two component pieces... It doesnt take a genius to install once you have the correct plexiglass plate.

view3.jpg

The Image below showy the 2 pins that prevent the whole thing twisting when adjusting the angle of the viewfinder. When you send your housing back to the manufacturer i think these holes are what they add to install the viewfinder.

view4.jpg

Ocean Optics in London responded to my request for this viewfinder a while back with 'what viewfinder?!?!' They are trying to get them sorted out soon, i'll probably send mine down there so they can have a look at it (in exchange for a free pressure test :(;) ). If anyone would like any specs for their home build project please ask away.

Simon

Hi Simon,

I'm a bit confused as to whether you had a new backplate made, your old one modified or a new plexi-plate from Nexus??

If you have had your old plexi-plate modified, what were the modifications that were necessary??

With the viewfinder in place, how much of the view of the screen does it really block out?

Thanks for taking the time mate,

Bruce

yeah, i got too excited and forgot to take pictures as i was fitting it.

I am now the proud owner of 2 backplates.... let me compare them now with a pair of callipers so i can tell you the difference

Ok, got it now...

This should help... If you had an accurate milling machine with the correct bits you could probably alter your own plate.

For the diameter of the interior rebate - i haven't included as i didn't want to confuse things... and i didn't want to draw in 3D!!

The top pair of images shows a top down view from the outside, the lower shows a cross section, the cross section in terms of depths is the same for both viewfinders.

backplate.jpg

The internal rebate is only there to accommodate the internal nut which holds the viewfinders in place. The diameter of which on the new viewfinder is 40mm.

So if you have a nearby machine shop you could DIY it, but for the cost of a new plate, i'd just buy one.

Hi Steve,

Just a couple of quick questions...

So if you have a nearby machine shop you could DIY it, but for the cost of a new plate, i'd just buy one.

Who supplies the new backplate? Nexus or Inon??

How much is RRP ???

Bruce

Hi Steve,

Just a couple of quick questions...

Who supplies the new backplate? Nexus or Inon??

How much is RRP ???

Bruce

Steve?? Have you been watching Big Daddy recently!?! ;):(

The Backplate looks to me like it was made by Nexus as all the buttons and components are exactly the same. Which i guess is a Grey area for suppliers, if a photostore is a dealer for nexus but not Inon or vica-versa it could cause problems.

If i was sure i was going to keep my D70 (hopefully have a buyer at the moment) then i'd get a backplate made up for that too.

Simon

Interesting stuff Simon... well you Nexus guys are lucky that Nexus will provide modified backs for the Inon viewfinder. Very tempted to order an Inon viewfinder given their prices here in Asia and hopefully find a machine shop with a lathe that maybe able to modify the rear of my Sea & Sea housing.

It would be easy to do, i could do it with the old milling machine i had at school, as long as your current hole for your viewfinder isn't bigger then 36mm you should be fine.

Prices in Asia....... i don't know what you're talking about ;):(

Hi Simon,

if you don't mind me asking, how much did this set you back?

I've got a Nexus D200 on order from Ocean Optics (hoping they can get it in soon) and was considering trying to get hold of one of these at the same time to see what improvement it makes to the viewfinder.

My main concern is the integrity of the finder when transporting and using it, specifically if it were to get knocked. Any comments on this?

Cheers,

Andy

Hehehe, Optics don't have these yet.... I'm going to try to get hold of Steve tomorrow to talk to him about them.

In transit it's no problem, just take it off, it takes seconds to unscrew the retaining nut on the inside, i think there are tapped holes for a grub screws on the retaining nut to stop it falling off during the vibration on a boat. I don't have any though, but i'll be working on a solution soon. It's the same viewfinder on the hugyfot housing, maybe they give more instruction on this feature.

I basically got this viewfinder as an OEM product so i dont have any fancy packaging or instructions. The first dive with it will be fun!

I got my D200 from Ocean Optics in December, and i've had a slight problem, they have (on the phone at least) been extremely helpful in sorting it out.

Do you mind sharing what the problem was Simon? A fault with the housing or design problem?

I've been using a Nexus Master for the past six years and have been very happy with it hence my decision to stay with them. It does concern me however the lack of availability especially when I don't see a huge demand for them, and they've been available for some time already.......

Any details appreciated...

Cheers,

Andy

I had a minor amount of pitting after 9 dives, but they have promised to sort it out. I had no problems with my Nexus D70, so i was not going to stand for this after 9 dives. Others on here have been fine though, so i think it might just be bad luck on my part.

I think i got the last one from optics in december, i'm surprised they don't have nay new ones in.

The viewfinder is lovely, something i would definitely get if you get the housing

Scuba_Si,

do you have any more feedback on the finder? I've had a call from Oceanoptics that my D200 housing has just arrived but that it includes the finder (not that I asked for it specifically). I've yet to see it (I'll need to arrange a special trip to pick it up) but am a little concerned over how it handles taking vertical shots i.e. is it a good, comfortable position, and how sturdy it is for travelling and on the boat? I can't afford to turn it down as it's taken six months to get the housing but am prepared to argue about the finder if it has weaknesses over the standard finder.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

I had a minor amount of pitting after 9 dives, but they have promised to sort it out. I had no problems with my Nexus D70, so i was not going to stand for this after 9 dives. Others on here have been fine though, so i think it might just be bad luck on my part.

I think i got the last one from optics in december, i'm surprised they don't have nay new ones in.

The viewfinder is lovely, something i would definitely get if you get the housing

Sorry for the late reply, been stuck in Asia and now back to sunny England.

So, the viewfinder... I was very careful with it for the 1st few dives, paranoid it might fall off etc, but after a few dives i didnt worry about any potential failure.

For passing upto the boat, it is a worry!

I always fold my strobes to the back of the housing to pass it up, thus adding some easy to see depth to the back of the housing and hopefully avoiding an accidental knock. For travel i remove the viewfinder, no need to give an ape in customs another toy to break!

For ease of use, i wanted to smash the thing off during lots of dives! Aiming is a total nightmare until you get used to it, and my shots really suffered, especially when i was hungover and kept hitting myself in the head with the damn thing!

However, towards the end of my trip i got used to it and can now see the benefit of such a system, although, i am lucky, i have the old viewfinder to go back on (im glad i didnt take it with me as i would have changed back after day 1).

Are they charging you extra for the finder?

Thanks Si. Yes, I will be paying more for the finder. How do you find swapping from horizontal to vertical? I envisage it being a pain and as my next trip is snorkeling with whalesharks, it does concern me. I don't want to spend this particular trip getting used to a new finder as well as a complete new sytem.

Still, I'll find out more this Wednesday.

Thanks for the info. and I'd apprecite on views on ease of use for snorkeling and swapping horiz to vert formats.

Andy

For ease of use, i wanted to smash the thing off during lots of dives! Aiming is a total nightmare until you get used to it, and my shots really suffered, especially when i was hungover and kept hitting myself in the head with the damn thing!

Latest rumor I have heard is that they are coming with a straight version of the finder. That might be a easier thing to get used to. I think the 45 degree version is better for macro and the straigt better for action and wideangle.

I'm curious what did you have to give for the plexi back plate?

Espen :(

Horiz / Vert isnt an issue, you just have to get used to the process of moving the finder as well as the stobes when you swap.

I'd actually prefer a straight thru viewfinder for macro, looking for a pygmy seahorse with the 45 degree finder was an exercise in futility.

But they are quick to swap out, and cheap enough at a few hundred bucks to carry both with you, so i'll get the 180 viewfinder if/when it is released

I actually picked up the housing yesterday. The 45 degree finder that Ocean Optics now get shipped as standard is good. Though I did request they get a standard diopter for me as well so I'm waiting to hear about that. One problem with the 45 deg finder is that there are no locating pins on the new shoulder washer and it has a habit of slipping ocassionally - a little annoying. I spent some time with them on this and despite a call to Inon there was no immediate answer. They are following it up for me.

Despite the above, my initial impressions with the finder and housing are very positive and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Regards,

Andy

Horiz / Vert isnt an issue, you just have to get used to the process of moving the finder as well as the stobes when you swap.

I'd actually prefer a straight thru viewfinder for macro, looking for a pygmy seahorse with the 45 degree finder was an exercise in futility.

But they are quick to swap out, and cheap enough at a few hundred bucks to carry both with you, so i'll get the 180 viewfinder if/when it is released

Sponsors

Advertisements