marinedomain

It really is a versatile lens, pics from today

Took these today with the Tokina 10-17 on a D200 in an 8" Dome all taken at 17mm. The Nudi picture is slightly cropped all the rest are uncropped

turt03a.jpg

nudi.jpg

pink03b.jpg

turt03b.jpg

turt03c.jpg

turt03d.jpg

pink03d.jpg

pink03c.jpg

Regards

Gary

No extensions needed with the Aquatica housing and this lens ;)

Regards

Gary

Is there a Wetpixels Anonymous Group? Here I am with my 16mm and 10.5 lens, and I am now convinced I NEED this lens. $477 at Tri-State, should I or shouldn't I?

Nice shots.

I got the zoom gear for mine today - I had a couple of meetings in London - so popped in to Ocean Optics to releave them of a gear (my reward for working hard).

Really looking forward to getting this lens underwater. I have already stuck a filter on my one - just taped onto the flat plastic on the back over the hole where the rear of the lens is.

Right now to get my housing out and align the gear correctly.

Alex

Zoom gear installed. There is something about putting gears on lenses that makes me feel like a proper underwater photographer. ;)

Alex

they look even better printed, you loose a bit of quality compressing the image for the web, have no chromatic problems printing on my Epson

Impressive!

Now, who have a good excuse how to explain to the financial chief at home that I must(!!!) have a new toy?

Edited by Arnon_Ayal

That's a hard one Arnon I'm still borrowing Peter Mooney's lens ;)

Zoom gear installed. There is something about putting gears on lenses that makes me feel like a proper underwater photographer. ;)

Alex

Alex , What gear did you use on the subal ?

Edited by pmooney

Remember guys, DavidG posted wonderful pics of manatee a few weeks ago, some taken with the Tokina 10-17/Subal ND20/zoom gear/FE-2 dome w/extension, he is a very talented shooter.

I don't know if he was using the same zoom gear as Peter or Alex but he showed it to shchae and myself and it was very slick. He was also using an extension ring on his Subal ND20 and the zoom gear worked very smoothly. Ryan at ReefPhoto put it all together for him this past February.

Yes, as very versatile lens, but I still want to know if it as sharp in the corners as the 16mm?; probably not - doesn't appear so, but then the range of the 10-17 lens outweighs that....

Best, Carol

PS - Gary, I was remiss to fail to point out your pics are great, these especially - I think you are really getting in good communication with those green turtles!!!!!!

Edited by seagrant

I'd love to see a few above water shots with this lens, maybe with Pano straightening...

Nice shots, btw.

Jack

I don't know which zoom gear I have on the lens. I just took the lens into the shop and came out with one that fitted. As far as I know, Subal don't make an official one for this lens yet.

Alex

@ alex: you say, that you have a filter already on you lens. ;) ?

where exactely on the back of the lens did you put it? i mean there is no filter holder ... and i don't want to break mine ... i just hold it in my hands and i dont get it.

will that also work for Canon connection?

thanks, serge

@ alex: you say, that you have a filter already on you lens. ;) ?

where exactely on the back of the lens did you put it? i mean there is no filter holder ... and i don't want to break mine ... i just hold it in my hands and i dont get it.

will that also work for Canon connection?

thanks, serge

Hi Serge,

The rear of the lens has a large plastic surround - which is ideal for stiking the filter on to:

tok-10-17.jpg

I trimmed the filter down to a 23x23mm square and then taped two of the corners to hold it in place. This is the greenwater Magic filter - which kind of gives away what my first planned use of this lens will be!

I haven't got a Canon version of this lens, but I presume that it is similar enough to allow a filter to be taped on in the same way? Can someone confirm this?

If this lens continues to grow in popularity we might start selling filters pre-cut to this size - as I think that many photographers may simply choose to use this one lens for all their wide angle needs. But for now it is very simple just to trim another filter down to this size.

Alex

thank you alex.

ahh. ok, on the nikon connection it is quite obvious ... maybe i let it try someone else first with a canon one ... i am not so good with D.I.Y. projects ;)

looking forward to see a canon solution.

serge

Alex, Is that the Subal lens gear for the Nikon 18-35mm ?

Your Q&A above regarding the filter reminds me of a situation: I remember taking a picture for a Guinness poster at White Hart Lane during a match with Spurs/Leeds. A policeman took a lot of interest in our 10x8 Sinar with Super Angulon and told us how he was a very keen photographer. But when he saw my assistant stick a Wratten gel on the back of the lens with sticky tape, he suddenly retorted that we looked very amateur and walked away! (I got paid about 6 months' policemans's wages for that one picture.)

I haven't got a Canon version of this lens, but I presume that it is similar enough to allow a filter to be taped on in the same way? Can someone confirm this?

Here's the rear of the Canon version, Alex:

tokina_rear.jpg

It's not quite the same, but similar. Seems to be missing that protruding plastic piece. I'll take measurements later.

Hi Alex,

would your wideangle macro technique, using the 1.5 teleconverter, work with this lens, too?

Best regards,

--Rob

The main problem I would have if I tried to use this lens with a TC is that my zoom gear would no longer align.

That said, this lens has such good close focus you'd get a pretty decent macro effect as standard.Maybe not the extreme macro effect possible with the TC, but a good start. Gary has posted several close up shots taken with the standard 10-17mm.

Alex

p.s. Thanks Matt for posting that photo of the Canon version. Looks much harder to attach a filter to the Canon version.

Had a look at my other canon fit lenses, and this seems to be a "unique" design. The mount looks different for the sigma 15 FE, the standard zoom, 50 f1.8 and the 60mm macro.......

my ideas at the moment

a slight overfit filter, with a small edge on the underside to keep it from slipping.

You migt be able to tape it to the underside of the filter, make a 90 turn and tape it to the outside of the small protruding bit in the middle witht the glass in it

Final attempt: use a larger filter and totally fill the circle. So that the filter lies on top of the glass, and cant move anymore. Doesnt matter if it is square or round, as long as its a tight fit.. (also, more filter to selle for Alex :-)

Gerard

PS: Dont have this lens yet, but it looks like I want this lens also in the end

i thought about a similar way to fix the filter ... but after trying with a bit of paper ... it is not the way i want to fix it.

would be perfect to have a round filter with a kind of tube that just fits over the top of that round thing there ... so it would be easier to put it on and off. because when taping it's just too much work to put it on and off ... if it is so complicated i would end up never using the filter ...

Sponsors

Advertisements