Sign in to follow this  
satrat

Basic Camera Settings for Strobe Use

This is so newb, it's almost embarassing----but perhaps someone would be kind enough to start me in the right direction.

I do a fair amount of topside photography for my kids sports teams, but I shoot wide open, RAW, and manual mode using only ambient light. So I don't have any real experience with flash settings.

I now have a Ike housing for my 20D, with a DS-125. I am only using the 18-55MM kit lens to start off with, which I believe is going to be at it's best stopped down to about F8 or so. But how do I measure exposure before a flash fires? Do you just set the ISO and shutter speed off a chart, and the strobe adjust TTL?

I just need a starting point, as this system is getting wet shortly.

RICK

Hi

I'll try to answer this but may not be the best person. First off are you using a manual controller or the Ike built in hardwired controller?

From personal experience I have a feel (although it's often wrong) for the distance and shoot in manual on my camera with a given power level on my camera. It's often times trial and error but I do have a few setting that I know work for macro. My suggestion is to set up your rig and get comfortable shooting in a pool and see what works. Review your shots afterward looking at the EXIF tags. Hope that helps.

Aaron

I used the following website with success. It was really helpful for us beginners.

http://www.splashdowndivers.com/photo_gall...ettings_d70.htm

I used it for setting my D80 in an Ikelite housing with the DS125 strobe.

This is so newb, it's almost embarassing----but perhaps someone would be kind enough to start me in the right direction.

I do a fair amount of topside photography for my kids sports teams, but I shoot wide open, RAW, and manual mode using only ambient light. So I don't have any real experience with flash settings.

I now have a Ike housing for my 20D, with a DS-125. I am only using the 18-55MM kit lens to start off with, which I believe is going to be at it's best stopped down to about F8 or so. But how do I measure exposure before a flash fires? Do you just set the ISO and shutter speed off a chart, and the strobe adjust TTL?

I just need a starting point, as this system is getting wet shortly.

RICK

For manual exposures you can use the guide no (32 at ISO 100 for the DS125 strobe) to determine your flash power. To get a balanced wide angle exposure use the light meter in the camera and meter on the blue water. Use the strobe's guide no to set the power on the flash. For example, when metering on the water if your light meter zeros out at F8, a full power flash will light a foreground subject 4 feet away correctly at full power (guide no divided by strobe to subject distance - 32/4=F8). If your foreground subject is 2 feet away set the strobe power to 1/2 that will cut your guide no in half to 16 divided that by 2 feet to the subject gives you F8. If there is no blue water background just use the guide no to determine your power setting on the strobe.

Happy shooting B)

The settings depend on what you want the photo to look like.

Blue water background, set manual exposure for the blue and use the strobe to "paint" the up close subject on manual strobe control.

Black background, high f stop and use the strobe on high power to light subject.

There are many answers depending on what you are taking a picture of and what result you want.

.................If your foreground subject is 2 feet away set the strobe power to 1/2 that will cut your guide no in half to 16..............

When discussing guide numbers (and apertures!), half (or double) means to divide (or multiply) by 1.4 (square root of 2). Therefore if a strobe is rated at GN 32 (iso 100, ft), half power would be 32/1.4= @ 22. Quarter power would equal 22/1.4 (@ GN 16), and 1/8th power would have a guide number equivalent of approximately (16/1.4) 11. To summarize:

notice the similarity to the sequence found with aperture settings..................

hth,

b

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements