liam

Bayonet or Screw mount lenses

I have a Fuji E900 with an Ikelite housing. I am thinking about getting a wide angle lens and it looks like I have the option of going for either a bayonet type or a thread type lens mount. Does anybody have an opinion on which is the better system?

I would think from the description that the bayonet is removable underwater whereas the threaded one means you have one port for the duration of the dive.

If you dive in places with lots of big and small stuff, or you like shooting both big and small on the same dive then i think the bayonet might be better for you. You can shoot a nudi or a whale shark.

If you go with threaded you are stuck with the WA port for the whole dive.

Liam, I'd recommend the bayonnet. It really makes it easy to quickly snap off/ on the add on lens. After awhile, you'll even get used to mounting the lens without even looking at it. And its pretty secure. The problem with the threaded one is it can be a bit of a PITAS as you have to unscrew it so much and the threads are so small. Contrary to what Mike Veitch says, you can unscrew the threaded one u/w...

Edited by pakman

hi liam

i second what pakman says get the bayonet one it is so quick , i have 3 lens with me 2 macro and WA when i dive and i am constantly changing between them

the only problem i found is that i tend to leave a macro one on the put the WA on in rush and can't work out why the camera wont focus , mainly cos i got macro thru a WA .

vinny

well there ya go, i was wrong...

But it is April Fools so i am allowed today only....

:)

I was thinking about the add on Ike dome port that has to be attached using a strap wrench....

Bayonet is the way to go.

If you go for the screw-on you'll regret it again and again.

Hmmmm, I was lead to believe that the quality of the threaded ones were slightly better due to a larger rear lens opening.... /shrug

Hmmmm, I was lead to believe that the quality of the threaded ones were slightly better due to a larger rear lens opening.... /shrug

You can stack screw on lens, sometimes I stack 2 Inon 330 or Inon 165 Macro lens together to get closer .

You can also use use UrPro red filter with threads on both side, 1st screw on red filter to housing , then your wide angle on the filter and you're ready for available light wide angle shots! :)

you can also stack the AD mount lens

i use 2 macro lens with AD no probs

Sponsors

Advertisements