cmm1970

Wireless Air Integration-Have they Gotten Better

If bottom time is what they want, why not use the old US Navy tables :-)

FWIW, I have owned 3 different Uwatec computers. The first 2 used the 'old' style transmitter and the new Smart Z uses a new transmitter that I am told fixes the blink out problem. I shoot video so no flash to trigger the blink out, however my wife shoots with S&S DX90's and 125's and she was always causing my computer to blink out. With the new Smart Z it has not happened even when I held my computer next to her flashes while firing them...

Ryan

Sorry, I'm very late to this discussion, but I found it a must read. Let's assume for one moment that all of the wireless air intergration computers work PERFECTLY. Now, I realize that you, and you alone are responsible for checking your own air. That said, is it possible for a third party (i.e. your DM) to check your tank pressure on the boat without setting up a separate SPG? Frankly, as an Instructor myself, I don't want to be held liable for putting an empty/leaky tank on someone's shoulders. Secondly, as a non-wireless user, how easy is it for me to check my buddy's air underwater? Granted, I can ask him/her for the reading, but I also have an instructor's habit of checking the guage with my own eyes when my diver is focused on the fish.

Edited by dsbierman

Sorry, I'm very late to this discussion, but I found it a must read. Let's assume for one moment that all of the wireless air intergration computers work PERFECTLY. Now, I realize that you, and you alone are responsible for checking your own air. That said, is it possible for a third party (i.e. your DM) to check your tank pressure on the boat without setting up a separate SPG? Frankly, as an Instructor myself, I don't want to be held liable for putting an empty/leaky tank on someone's shoulders. Secondly, as a non-wireless user, how easy is it for me to check my buddy's air underwater? Granted, I can ask him/her for the reading, but I also have an instructor's habit of checking the guage with my own eyes when my diver is focused on the fish.

Some of these computers allow you an extra transmitter to fit to your buddy's (trainee's) tank so that you can monitor their air while underwater too!

dsbierman, I use the Oceanic Atom 2 wireless air integrated computer. As a back up, I also have attached to my 1st stage a pony bottle pressure guage: http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_gauges_ponybottle.html This is a cheaper way to go than a totally separate SPG, and you really can't check it yourself (buddy required...separate topic!). But, after my tank is supposedly filled on the boat between dives, I can check to be sure just by reattaching my reg. and cracking the tank and peaking at the pony bottle guage.

The pony bottle guage really allows for streamlining of all of those hoses comming off of your 1st stage. One for your primary reg and one for your low pressure inflator/Air II. Thats it! OK. I have a third for my drysuit inflator if I'm diving at home.

Sponsors

Advertisements