sanichols

Port & Lens Options for d200 in dx-200

So, I am buying the DX-200 for my D200 DSLR. I have the Nikkor 24-85mm AF lens already. Now, I have some questions:

1. Has anyone used this lens underwater?

2. Does Sea&Sea make a zoom gear that will work with this lens?

3. Could I buy a dome port and decide to use the lens in macro or WA before the dive, or perhaps buy a dome and a flat port and use it at either 24 or 85... or 24 or 60 or whatever?

4. If I buy a 60mm lens and flat port for macro could I use the 24-85mm in a dome port and expect reasonable results?

5. I've heard of getting a teleconverter for the 60mm for smaller animals.... what is that (exposing my ignorance).

Thanks for your advice.

-Scott

Oh... 6. I have one ys-90 strobe. Should I buy another? It seems like many of my photos in the past have had long shadows.... (with a P & S Olympus).

There are two 24/85 lenses that NIKON make, one has a maximum aperture of 3.5 to 4.5, but from your description of a "macro setting" I am assuming you have the 24/85 2.8-4 AFS lens.

This was the first lens that I bought when I got into underwater photography with a land camera and housing (NIKON F90X) because it looked like a good "allrounder" a nice bit of "wide"(24), a bit "long"(85), and some "macro" thrown in. So I looked at the SEA and SEA port chart for a good "allrounder" port as well,

http://marine-cameras.com/lenses/ports.htm

and I came up with the SEA and SEA NX Zoom port (PART NUMBER 51101, part number 3 on the chart) which seemed to cover a lot of the lenses featured in the port chart, unfortunatly it was just not big enough to allow the 24/85 to extend its full lenght, so I also purchased the SX extention ring (50261, part 13 on the chart) to allow for this, now this set up does not give me full use of the lens because at the 24mm end the edges of the port are in veiw, but it does give you the fullest use of your lens under water.

With the "macro" lock on, your lens becomes a 35/85mm lens with "macro" facility which will cover a lot of photographic situations underwater. Just don't forget to lock the lens into "macro" mode befor sealing the housing.

Nobody makes a zoom gear for this lens, but if you look at my post in the D.I.Y. Section of wetpixel, you will see my solution.

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15291

This port set up will cover both 24/85 (Zoom port + extention port)

AND a 60mm MACRO lens (Zoom port, no extention port)

I dont think that you will get good results from the 24/85 behind a dome port because the lenght of the lens changes so much during zooming.

Don't worry about Teleconverters for now, read up on other websites about what they do, or get a book about close up photography :)

Start with your YS 90 strobe, it should be OK for macro work, you will have to adjust the light levels manually as I am sure you are aware when you used it with your P a S camera, Position your strobe directly above your lens, looking down at the subject at approx 45 degrees, any shadows will be behind the subject then.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Stefin!

So, very few people use the 24/85 for underwater work. Since you have experience in this area, would you rather opt for separate 60mm and, say, 20mm lenses with separate ports? Or, would you buy the zoom port and use the 24/85 as a fixed focal length lens ('cause I know I won't fiddle with making my own zoom gear).

-Scott

Thanks Stefin!

So, very few people use the 24/85 for underwater work. Since you have experience in this area, would you rather opt for separate 60mm and, say, 20mm lenses with separate ports? Or, would you buy the zoom port and use the 24/85 as a fixed focal length lens ('cause I know I won't fiddle with making my own zoom gear).

-Scott

Scott,

I am using the 24-85 mm f 2.8-4 lens in macro as a 35-85 mm in a 60 mm lens port with a 20 mm extension ring. Although I am using a Subal set up, it should work fine with a similar Sea & Sea port with extension. My results have been very good and this lens is very flexable. I plan to use this lens as well as my 60 and 105 in Indonesia and Bali this summer.

Elmer

Sponsors

Advertisements