wagsy

Amphibico Endeavor with HVR-V1 review and field test

Here is Amphibico's new Endeavor underwater housing for the Sony FX7 & V1 progressive HDV camera's.

3.5†SD rear Color LCD Viewfinder on the rear door.

You can get it with a Flat Port, Dome Port or the 94 degree (Phenom) dome port.

ABSOLUTELY NO VIGNETTING

You can find more information on Amphibico's web site.

The new External High Definition Monitor can be another great option as well.

endeavor1small.jpg

endeavorsmall.jpg

Click on these images to see very large pics.

post-4240-1175646782_thumb.jpg

post-4240-1175646804_thumb.jpg

post-4240-1175815145_thumb.jpg

Edit: Updated/6/4/07

Looks great..But..Its just the monitor back option... :)

You got so much more versatility with a 'on top' monitor...

Also we need proper clarification on the V1 / Fx7 performance underwater...its going to be nearly £10,000 for the complete set-up..No more mistakes.

Cheers anyway...

Dive safe

DeanB

Hi Wagsy,

Where did you get that rear view of the Endeavour?

I am a little confused about the monitor on the back. Is this a standard feature? The Amphibico website talks about a "Standard Viewfinder" on the Overview of the housing features!

Does anyone have any comments about Amphibico's standard port, is it OK for general amateur use or is the optional 90 degree port really a must?

Do you think there will be room for a +2 dioptre on the camera for macro work?

The Gates housing initially appears to be a bit cheaper, but once you start adding the ports...... ugh!

I have just got back from using the FX7 on a Kenya safari. I haven't had time look closely at the footage as the game lodges didn't have HD televisions! However a quick look on an old 4:3 TV looks excellent. I will report back in due course.

Anyone know the likely shipping date for the Gates?

Cheers

Roger

Hi Roger,

Apparently the monitor back is the only option..for now :rolleyes:

The standard port would be o.k for general use...But the Wide 'would' be better for most applications...

From what I've heard they is only enough room for one flip arm, so filter or diopter.

Shipping date for Gates, well I spoke to cameras underwater and they didn't really know, so I'm waiting for a call on that...

Can't wait to see some of your results from Africa..

Dive safe

DeanB

What the sale person from Amphibico told me at the under the sea show, the Hi def monitor on the rear was an option and it came standard with the normal monitor.

It only weight 23 pounds loaded with the camera. That's almost half the weight or the phenom

If thats for real then it looks better, but lets wait and see

Dive safe

DeanB

Hi Wagsy,

Where did you get that rear view of the Endeavour?

I am a little confused about the monitor on the back. Is this a standard feature? The Amphibico website talks about a "Standard Viewfinder" on the Overview of the housing features!

Does anyone have any comments about Amphibico's standard port, is it OK for general amateur use or is the optional 90 degree port really a must?

Do you think there will be room for a +2 dioptre on the camera for macro work?

The Gates housing initially appears to be a bit cheaper, but once you start adding the ports...... ugh!

I have just got back from using the FX7 on a Kenya safari. I haven't had time look closely at the footage as the game lodges didn't have HD televisions! However a quick look on an old 4:3 TV looks excellent. I will report back in due course.

Anyone know the likely shipping date for the Gates?

Cheers

Roger

Roger

The pic arrived in my email box. :rolleyes:

Yes it comes with the 3.5†SD rear colour LCD viewfinder on the back door.

The 94 degree Phenom Port would work best but it all depends on ones budget and needs. Yes you could put a +2 macro diopter on the flip arm. If you get the normal Dome Port you could then stack macro's on the end of the camera.

Yes load up some Kenya shots, be cool to see. :ninja:

94 Degree Port and Dome Port

post-4240-1175817014_thumb.jpg

Macro stack

post-4240-1175816969_thumb.jpg

Tiffen Macro Set

post-4240-1175817222_thumb.jpg

I'm presently in South Africa testing the prototype of the Amphibico Endeavor housing. Without giving out too much too soon, the housing has been working reliably and well. Haven't had time to check the tests yet nor bring it deep but I'll be doing that in the next few weeks.

Stay tuned.

Now this is the official thread for the Amphibico Housing Endeavor, which can be read here:

Amphibico Endeavor Review

If theres one thing Drews good at its the big housing tease.. :)

Canny wait for the review.

Dive safe

DeanB

Ok, the preliminary tests show that electronic WB does work and no vignetting on the 94° port. Again haven't seen to tapes yet and getting to know Amphibico housings again took a bit of learning. They have however overcome the many of the needs of the assigned buttons, but I still think it's good to have access.

Hi Drew

Got some questions but will wait till your review is up.

Have you got one of those External LCD's for it too over there as well?

re:vignetting have you actually captured any to editing software yet? I was surprised by the amount of image not shown in the viewfinder or on the lcd screen when I was trying out the HC7.

here's some examples.

clownfish%20vignetting.png

This was trying out an external macro lens - obviously it didn't work, but none of the vignetting was visable at the time.

whitetip%20bubble.png

Not as extreme, but the bubble at the top of the screen was once again not visable.

Edited by SimonSpear

Simon

Any chance of making those pics abit smaller :)

Too big for small screens dude.

The HC7 , what housings was it in?

Maybe start a new thread about it Simon.

haha sorry yeah I'll make them smaller.

Drew said that there didn't appear to be any vignetting on the Endeavor so I was trying to give an example of something that you only see once the footage has been captured.

I was actually playing around with different lenses which ultimately caused the problem - but I had no idea that there WAS a problem till I got it onto the computer.

Not sure why I'm bothering actually - I'm certain Drew already knows this anyway! :)

Cheers, Simon

Edited by SimonSpear

I love the spherical framed shot of the anenome fish Simon..tremendous..

Did you use a special filter or was this done in post... :)

Dive safe

DeanB

hahaha

You'd almost think that was shot in an Amphibco eh? :)

Cheers, Simon

That latest news is that the Endeavour limited production run is already half sold in less than one month.

When all gone there will be no more made.

If they would have made a viewfinder / dual flip filter options they would probably have had more interest thus the need to make more. With real life reviews just about to come out there might be a jump in V1 / fx7 sales...

There's always Sealux and Gates...

Dive safe

DeanB

Just a question - regarding the camcorder itself.

Since I am not a markeitng expert, I would need some help to understand these sentences (taken from the Sony USA broadcast site)

"All video is processed at 1920x1080 at 60p in full 4:2: 2, for optimum picture quality. In the 1080 24p mode, the images are scanned at the full 1080 lines, and 2:3 pull down is added and recorded to the 60i HDV tape."

1. Does it mean that these 1920x1080 at 60p will be recorded onto tape (or just 1440x1080 as earlier with the Z1)?

2. Does 4:2:2 mean that it will be recorded onto tape or it will be downconverted to 4:2:0 (PAL)or 4:1:1 (NTSC) color space during recording?

How can I be certain that the ceptured footage uses 4:2:2 color space?

Wagsy: maybe I did not understood you well, but why are they limiting the number of the housing? I guess the V1 will be on the market in 2008 as well, but Amphibico won't ship a housing for it?

Good testing, cheers,

Jules

Do I hear 'Panic Buy' from Amphibico!!!

Seams a little strange if they have already sold half and it is just out that they won't make more... All the costs of development must be massive, the production on the housing is probably the cheaper bit.

Whats the point in making more & more housings for an old model when there is a new camera coming out that needs one made. Just make so many to cover your costs , make a profit if you can and move on to the next new model as it's a tiny market.

Light & Motion did not even make one for this model.

Thing being, the V1 / FX7 was a bit of a half way between the other two sony's. So it was a outside bet. From all the feedback I've been reading it seems to be a very good cam and more people are warming to it, more closer in performance to the Z1 than the A1. I personally think light & motion made a mistake in thinking it would not be a seller.

But hey..Bring on the EX "For the sheer joy of diving EX"

Dive safe

DeanB

The review is almost done. Just have to do the pics and send it in. I'm stuck in Africa so broadband isn't an option.

Jules

The signal is processed in 4:2:2 1920x1080. It's recorded as 1440x1080 4:2:0 HDV onto tape. The only way for 4:2:2 is to capture from HDMI to HDD.

I've just spent 10 days shooting with a V1 in stormy, windy, often overcast and frequently raining Cornwall (got to love British summers eh?) and I was very impressed with it, but due to lack of housing availability it was obviously only used for topside on boat shots.

I was filming a scientific expedition where we sat tagged a number of Porbeagle sharks. It was frantic at times and every second of footage counted (at times I had a polecam in one hand and the V1 in the other!), so there often was not time to mess around getting the right settings. In these circumstances I was blown away with how well the V1 performed in full auto or nearly full auto. Obviously if you had time to set up the shots then the manual controls came into their own. As an all round performer I really rated the V1.

The expedition was a massive success. We got 5 DNA samples, Sat tagged 4 sharks and got the first comprehensive free swimming footage of Porbeagle sharks ever, so it was a massive achievement. I'd have loved to have got the V1 into the water :)

I'm off to Cornwall again tomorrow for another 10 days, but I'll try to post some screen grabs when I get back.

Cheers, Simon

Sponsors

Advertisements