I see where Ikelite has a page on their new iTTL adaptor.

http://ikelite.com/web_two/ittl_adapter.html#seedown

The page lists compatibility with all recent Nikon cameras except the D2X. I was wondering if any of our industry pros have tried this iTTL adaptor. Also if they have do they know if it would work the D2X?

I've set a message to Ike asking the same question.

Thanks

Dave

I see where Ikelite has a page on their new iTTL adaptor.

http://ikelite.com/web_two/ittl_adapter.html#seedown

The page lists compatibility with all recent Nikon cameras except the D2X. I was wondering if any of our industry pros have tried this iTTL adaptor. Also if they have do they know if it would work the D2X?

I've set a message to Ike asking the same question.

Thanks

Dave

Call Ryan at Reef Photo. I just ordered one for my D200. It won't be ready for a few weeks but he could certainly tell you if it will work on the D2X.

Andy

I am pretty sure it should work, as the D2x has the same iTTL system as the D200 and D80, but just to make sure we should ask Ryan to test it for us... :rolleyes:

Actually, the D200 and D80 inboard flash does affect the behavior of bulkhead/wiring configuration, on the D2X I found that you freeze the camera when using a TTL bulkhead (even if both camera and strobes are in manual) and lets say, a pair of Inon, same set up on my D200 and as long as the strobe and camera are in manual they will trigger happily. they may have the same TTL protocol but definetly not the same behavior. I hope it works OK with the D2X, it seem to me to be the best designed method so far. at least as far as reliabillity, using the strobe to power the circuit is smart. and the easy to reach manual/TTL switch is a plus, a refreshing break from the nintendo oriented gadget I have seen so far.

I received an e-mail form Ikelite that says they are working on compatibility with the D2X. They say it may require a different model iTTL adaptor.

Anyone have experience with it already?

I have tried it above water and it is accurate about 80 percent of the time using dual DS-125s on a Seacam housing. Iklelite tells me they should have a D2x compatible adapter available in mid to late August. Being beta tested as we speak. The DS-51s and DS-125s may need minor updates and the adapter may not work with the DS-200s.

I have tried it above water and it is accurate about 80 percent of the time using dual DS-125s on a Seacam housing. Iklelite tells me they should have a D2x compatible adapter available in mid to late August. Being beta tested as we speak. The DS-51s and DS-125s may need minor updates and the adapter may not work with the DS-200s.

If a compatible D2x adapter comes along I'll be running to the store. I really loved the light in my old Ikes but no ittl support meant a change.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Espen ;)

Hi everyone,

Just checking if there has been any news from Ikelite regarding such an animal.

Cheers,

Espen :-)

Hi everyone,

Just checking if there has been any news from Ikelite regarding such an animal.

Cheers,

Espen :-)

Both a friend of mine and I have one each. We are using them with Nikon D200s; one on a Sealux housing, the other on a Nexus housing. Both with DS125s. We initially received these about a month or so ago but had to return them due to malfunction. We have just received their replacements and we are in the process of testing.

Cheers,

Colin

Colin, can I ask what the character of the malfunction is/was?

I have one back with Ikelite at the moment for trouble shooting, also intended for use with a D200. I was getting preflash firing but no full flash firing. Switching to manual, the strobe would not fire at all.

Would be interested to hear what your experience is/was.

Colin, can I ask what the character of the malfunction is/was?

I have one back with Ikelite at the moment for trouble shooting, also intended for use with a D200. I was getting preflash firing but no full flash firing. Switching to manual, the strobe would not fire at all.

Would be interested to hear what your experience is/was.

Sure Craig

Results varied across the exposure range from complete blowout at f3.2 to underexposure at f22. In contrast, a Nikon SB800 Speedlight light on the same subject gave consistent / correct exposure throughout this range. When the TTL unit was rotated to manual setting the strobes worked fine and I was able to use them manually for the remainder of my Solomons trip.

Ikelite were very attentive to our issue and the units were replaced.

Once I am able to test I'll report on results.

Cheers,

Colin

Once I am able to test I'll report on results.

I have just completed a brief dry test with positive results (33 images). Histograms appear reasonably consistent prior to light fall-off. By contrast, in manual mode complete overexposure occurs from f8 thru f4.5 (Tokina 10-17mm @ 1/125).

It will be a couple of weeks before I can test this fully in water but initial results do look promising.

Colin

Sponsors

Advertisements