vlada

Tokina 10-17 in Aquatica

Tokina 10-17 in Aquatica

For those familiar with that set up - do i need an extension ring and what kind of zoom ring is required?

I have an older D100 housing if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Edited by vlada

Spoke with Backscatter yesterday. They suggest the 12-24 extension ring and the zoom gear 18706. Also being used by other Wetpixel members. Have my lens but waiting for housing, being serviced, and gear to arrive.

I haven't used an extension at all, have used the lens with the standard 8" dome and a 6" dome with all the picture I have displayed in the Photo and Gallery Showcase section. The zoom gear I'm not sure about because I'm borrowing Peter Mooney's lens.

Regards

Gary

Spoke with Backscatter yesterday. They suggest the 12-24 extension ring and the zoom gear 18706. Also being used by other Wetpixel members. Have my lens but waiting for housing, being serviced, and gear to arrive.

Martyn, I expect the boys at Backscatter would know as a few of them are using Aquatica rigs as their personal units.

I used the gear # 18705 and then machined the internal diameter ( the advantage of having a machine shop at your disposal ) out until I had a nice fit ( about 3.5mm increase in internal diameter). Aquatica have taken delivery of this lens and a proper gear & part number is on the way.

I have been using / testing a 6" dome ( no extension ring ) with great results and am looking forward to using the Tokina / Megadome combination on my next expedition.

Now I have the aquaview viewfinder and can finally see whats going it should be good trip.

Enjoy your new lense - just remember "GET CLOSER"

Edited by pmooney

I am using the Tokina 10-17 with the Canon A20 housing - with the 8" dome, I use the 18456 extension ring: the same one used for the Sigma 10-20. I imagine it should be very similar for the Nikon as well.

Vandit

I'm a little confused. I set up my new Tokina with the 12-24 extension ring and can see the fins on the Aquatica fisheye shade. Without a ring it takes good test pictures on land and you don't see the the shade.

the lens protrudes slightly (about 1/4-3/8 inch) into the dome without any rings.

the question is to ring or not to ring, that is the question?

kind of hate to blow a days diving to experiment with it

Hello Peter,the D200 position inside the housing is further up front than a Canon, I have to make some pool test soon (the pool is getting cleaned from its winter crap, these days) but my gut feeling is that the extension ring propably wont be needed on the D200 and the D80 setup, and maybe the Canon also. in any case the lens will work without an extension ring on any housing/camera combination, if a ring is indeed needed it will be for the longer part of the lens (17mm) and then again only for making the corner of the image better. So if you have any doubt, forfeit the ring, you'll still get awesome shots.

This summer I will get in the process of revising all our data concerning lenses, I know there is a bunch of new lenses that came up and the data is strickly paper at this point, you'll understand that field testing is time consuming, but more than often you do need to take the plunge and do it to find the best working combo.

This Tokina 10-17 has quite a following, but the demand for it just started last winter, I love you guys, but my test pool for charting lenses is outside and that is a chunk of ice for half the year :rolleyes: , still i'm itching to get to it.

On suggestion of a noted professional I went with out the extension ring for our Oz trip. Seemed to work fine, corner sharpness at 10mm seems good to my eye. Any W/A shots were taken with this set up.

http://www.aquabluedreams.com/aust.htm

Sponsors

Advertisements