Sign in to follow this  
NWDiver

Aquatica Aqua View Question

Just got my Aquatica Aqua View Finder. When you look thru it there is a slight yellow/brown color to the view. Wife said the same thing. So a white subject looks a little brownish/yellowish thru the viewfinder. This applies to when viewing just thru the viewfinder and viewfinder+camera. Anyone else having this issue???

I haven't noticed any yellow cast with my viewfinder. I do know that the prototype(s) which appeared at DEMA last Fall had that problem because the optics were not coated. Aquatica seems forthcoming with answers . . .

Just got my Aquatica Aqua View Finder. When you look thru it there is a slight yellow/brown color to the view. Wife said the same thing. So a white subject looks a little brownish/yellowish thru the viewfinder. This applies to when viewing just thru the viewfinder and viewfinder+camera. Anyone else having this issue???

Spoke with Backscatter, who spoke with Aquatica, they stated they designed the viewer with a "slight color cast to warm things up". I am suprised no one else has noticed as mine was pretty obvious from the start.

Hey NWDiver,

I smell bullsh*t.

If you check this thread below there was a yellow tinge in the pre-release version, which at the time was expected to be removed by proper coating of the elements prior to the final release. Maybe you got sold a demo version?

Aquatica Viewfinder Thread

I'd contact aquatica directly and see what they say. It's difficult though as colour cast is totally subjective.

The folks from aquatica are on here from time to time, maybe PM them?

Simon

I have had 4 people now look at it and all mention the same thing. Of course this happens 2 days before I leave for a trip.

My Aquaview has the same characteristics. I would describe it as being equivalent to and 81b or weaker color conversion filter that many land based nature photographers use to add warmth. Of course it doesn't affect the sensor of your camera. If you feel like you have been miss lead I would call the folks in Canada or talk with the rep you purchased it from. I personally don't care about the cast since it doesn't affect the image though Aquatica should probably let folks know that it exists for a reason. Since the present company came into existence I have never bad dealings with them and have talked numerous times with Norma and met the Aquatica staff at DEMA. If you don't like it you can always go back to the original eye piece while you’re working things out. I have owned 4 Aquatica housings and would characterize the company as being pretty forthright to deal with. The employees own the company and want to make a good product. The phone number is on the web site.

Good luck

vr

Andy

Edited by 2Oceans

I hope it does not come across that I have a "problem" with Aquatica this is my second housing from them and have never had an issue. I just found it odd that the view finder had a tint to it. Then there was the seemingly conflicting info via the thread and what Backscatter stated. If the tint is normal fine, I have contacted Aquatica and hope to hear from them and will relay their response.

My Aquaview has the same characteristics. I would describe it as being equivalent to and 81b or weaker color conversion filter that many land based nature photographers use to add warmth. Of course it doesn't affect the sensor of your camera. If you feel like you have been miss lead I would call the folks in Canada or talk with the rep you purchased it from. I personally don't care about the cast since it doesn't affect the image though Aquatica should probably let folks know that it exists for a reason. Since the present company came into existence I have never bad dealings with them and have talked numerous times with Norma and met the Aquatica staff at DEMA. If you don't like it you can always go back to the original eye piece while you’re working things out. I have owned 4 Aquatica housings and would characterize the company as being pretty forthright to deal with. The employees own the company and want to make a good product. The phone number is on the web site.

Good luck

vr

Andy

Well said.

Martyn,

You are welcome to mine when you get here - so be rest assured we will get it worked out for you.

Peter

I had a chance to look at the new viewfinder at the Aquatica booth at BTS. I did notice the tint and I asked Norma if the unit I was looking at was a prototype or a production model. She said it was the production model so I guess this is normal.

I tried the viewfinder with a D200 and decided I will purchase one.

At the request of Martin (NWDiver) i'm posting the PM I sent him. hope this answer also any question on the subject.

Hello Martin, The Aqua View Finder wasn’t designed to be Yellow or to have a “color correction†built in, what you have is a production model and they have a warm glow due to the inherent quality of one of the, might I say, strategic glass element in the optical formula, this is kind of Amber (actually quite similar to the 81b filter mentioned in the thread) and not to be confused with the pre-production one that was definitely yellowish. The initial prototype used quite a few different optical component including a prism with a slight yellow tint to them, in the end theses stacked up to gave it the cast mentioned in the thread, also the lighting at the DEMA exhibition hall kind of exaggerated the cast, (outside in the hotel pool we did a few test and nobody took notice or offence of the color cast which was definitely stronger than production model). These fore mentioned components where replaced with different material composition since the material per say had no strategic value.

The amber tint doesn’t affect performance and according to the professionals photographers used for our testing is a non issue when underwater. The said glass element is one of the key reasons for the wide field of view associated with the view finder and replacing it with a different material would narrow our field of view, not something we or, I believe, you users are willing to sacrifice.

If you have the opportunity, read up on Tim Rock review of the Aqua View Finder on Wetpixel, bare in mind that it actually was done with that pre production view finder (the yellowish one). And even that supposedly inferior prototype was enough to sway him.

In the end if you feel that after your trip, you are not fully satisfied with your Aqua View Finder, please contact us and we will make sure to accommodate you by either taking it back or replacing it.

Jean Bruneau, Aquatica Technical Adviser

At the request of Martin (NWDiver) i'm posting the PM I sent him. hope this answer also any question on the subject.

That's good to know. I'm not suggesting that any dealers here on wetpixel would do it, but i have heard some very tall stories from dealers before.

Looks like a happy ending!

I have always been very happy with my Aquatica gear and the service has always been great. I want to thank them for getting back to me so quickly and hope Jean's post is helpfull for other buyers. Off to Australia for a week, can't wait to try the Aqua View out!

Have a good trip and beware of Peter Mooney, you can easely crack a rib from laughing with this guy, funniest Aussie i've met !

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements