Sign in to follow this  
ramaroodle

DS125 settings.

I recently purchased 2 DS125's for use with my D200 in a Subal. We'll see how well the new Ikelite TTL adapter works, but even though I've heard that it works just fine I still consider it a luxury. (probably mistakenly maybe like auto-focus or in-camera metering was a thousand years ago?) But, I'm curious what manual power settings seem to work for other folks. i.e. 1/4. 1/2, or full power for macro? Wide angle settings? Diffusers? I use a 10.5mm , 60mm and 105mm.

Andy

i leave mine on 1/2 power with no diffusers the vast majority of the time, occasionally dropping to 1/4 on real close macro against bright background.

I can see full power and diffusers for 10.5 at times

Basically the same set-up and yeah full power on fisheye but not as often as I tought in the beginning, I tend to open up the aperture to f:8 with this lens and match the shutter for that blue background.

I must like to use smaller aperatures than Mike and Jean. I almost allways use mine on Full and am constantly wishing they had more umph.

I use the diffusers with a FF fisheye and no diffusers for everything else.

... with no diffusers the vast majority of the time ...
Wow, that's surprising .... I never take a shot without the difusers :D

I use small appetures on the macro and usually start shooting at around half or quarter power.

With wide angle it really varies a lot more depending on the subject, how close it is and, especially, how shallow. I use eveything from 8th to full power.

You need to think about what lens you are trying to light properly. When shooting my 12-24mm I like to use an aperature of F8 or higher to get more sharpness in the corners of the pictures. You will find it easier to light the wide angle lens with diffusers and step up your strobe power to full on at least on strobe.

Michael

I always use the diffusers. I like the color temperature they produce. I use every power level on the strobes. Most commonly I set them at 1/2 power. I do constantly change the strobe distance and F stop though.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements