Sign in to follow this  
vkalia

Aquatica Aquafinder

I'm trying to decide whether or not to spend the $1k+ on the Aquatica Aquafinder, and had a few questions about those who are using it.

I imagine that the external finder makes it easy to see the entire VF image in one glance - is that correct or do you still need to move your head around to see the whole image, despite the magnfication?

How does the finder work in portrait mode? Does it swivel? Does it tilt?

Those of youse who are using it - any feedback you can provide on how its helped your photography would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Vandit

Vandit,

I have had my Aquaview finder two months now and enjoy using it in cold water with a bulky dry suit. In fact it does make changing to a portrait perspective much easier because the housing is further away from the face and regulator. I see everything that my D2X sees when I look into the finder and don't find myself trying to look around or change viewing angles to inspect the corners of my image. I can imagine that it would be even better with the D80 or D200. I have 51 year old eyes and appreciate the diopter adjustment. I am satisfied with my purchase and like it better than my old F4s action finder that I am very fond of and still use. It is certainly not a necessity and I did not buy it before purchasing the lenses I wanted but it really is a pleasure to use and I would recommend it.

vr

Andy

Thanks for the comments, Andy. I dive in pretty strong currents and it is quite a chore trying to position the camera "just so" without wasting time on the head waggle. I think I may be in for this puppy.

JB - appreciate the link. I was actually looking for it earlier but was unable to find it. Maybe I should just send my earnings directly to you guys in exchange for goodies and occasional cups of noodles :wacko:

Vandit

I ordered mine a month back.. Still waiting for it in Hong Kong. ;) Jean, when is it coming? :)

Wolf, When is it coming, mmmmm....... may i keep the suspense, nah ! we have confirmation that the optic needed are coming in this week from our supplier, then back to assembling and voila, shipping very soon in a neighbourhood near you.

Vandit, contact me and i'll give you the direct deposit info and i'll send you a crate of noodle cups ;) i'll even trow in some chocolate bars if you can recruit more like you. :)

I'm trying to decide whether or not to spend the $1k+ on the Aquatica Aquafinder, and had a few questions about those who are using it.

I imagine that the external finder makes it easy to see the entire VF image in one glance - is that correct or do you still need to move your head around to see the whole image, despite the magnfication?

How does the finder work in portrait mode? Does it swivel? Does it tilt?

Those of youse who are using it - any feedback you can provide on how its helped your photography would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Vandit

I've only had mine for a short period of time, but of the dives I've done, I think it's absolutely AWESOME! I will have a hard time going back to just the standard viewfinder if I had to. I do a lot of wide angle wreck photography, and am typically in colder waters and sometimes in strong currents. I've found that seeing and framing the image is pretty effortless, and it is nice and big. I don't notice anything in way of losing any light. My only complaint about the viewfinder is that it is a bit trickier to transport, and it is recommended that the viewfinder is removed for that reason, so it is an extra step. However, the installation and removal is pretty simple and painless, but it is one additional thing to make sure is cleaned and installed properly each time I pack my camera. But I will put up with it for what it can do. ;)

I completely agree with the last respondant. I have used the new viewfinder on perhaps a dozen dives and the ease with which I can frame subjects -- even at night, which was a big issue -- is anything but perfect. It took me three months to receive mine and it has not been in its box for much time ever since . . .

I've only had mine for a short period of time, but of the dives I've done, I think it's absolutely AWESOME! I will have a hard time going back to just the standard viewfinder if I had to. I do a lot of wide angle wreck photography, and am typically in colder waters and sometimes in strong currents. I've found that seeing and framing the image is pretty effortless, and it is nice and big. I don't notice anything in way of losing any light. My only complaint about the viewfinder is that it is a bit trickier to transport, and it is recommended that the viewfinder is removed for that reason, so it is an extra step. However, the installation and removal is pretty simple and painless, but it is one additional thing to make sure is cleaned and installed properly each time I pack my camera. But I will put up with it for what it can do. ;)

Got my viewfinder and took it under...my advice is to buy it :) . Every Aquatica housing should ship with one.

Believe me, if you use Aquatica housings the viewfinder is a must buy.

I just would like an angled version too for those low level macro shots <_<

Thanks, guys. Buy it, it is. Unless of course someone wants to send it over as an early Xmas present? No? Thought not. :)

Vandit

I just returned from a one-week live-aboard using the new Aqua View Finder in a 5D housing. The viewfinder is an absolutely superb addition to a 5D and money well spent. The eyesight adjustment works great. Don’t waste time pondering the purchase, just get one. You won’t regret it... <_<

Now that I finally had a chance to use mine, I'll put in my $0.02 worth.

I think it's great and worth the cost. It did take about a day to get used to because a tighter alignment between the eye and the finder is required. For the first couple of dives, it took lots of moving my head around to see anything at all and I almost gave up and put the old one back on. After a day or so, I got used to the alignment and never really had to think about it again, and really enjoyed the larger view. I think the biggest impact on the results is that I have a higher percentage of shots with the focus where I wanted it.

agree with above quotes. Makes a huge difference in being able to see the exposure meter and settings in the viewfinder. Should be standard not an option.

I have dived with people using this viewfinder and it gets a unanimous thumbs up from all.

Alex

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements