jgunther

Ikelite 8" Dome Port Question

I have a question regarding the 8" dome housing and the port for the 10.5mm nikon lens. I have another larger port for the dome and the installation of it just requires you to place it in place and release the clips. However the port for the 10.5mm lens has a much shorter port body and it seems that you first have to release the clips and kind of screw the port on. It seems to fit but just want to be sure that this is the way it should be mounted. I have tried all the other ports with the ikelite D80 housing and so far they all work fine in pool conditions but wanted to mount the port for the 10.5 (as I wont have time to try it in the pool before our trip) and wanted to make sure I mounted it right. Any help or suggestions would be helpful and appreciated with regards to the port and also suggestions on using the 10.5mm nikon lens. I will also be using the ds125 with this setup.

Yes, first you lock the clips, then push the port on, and rotate 90 degrees.

You are using the bayonet clips, right? You have to install a different clip for the 10.5 extension than the one that came on the housing.

That sounds kinda confusing..............the bayonet clips work with the other ports, but you can't use the 10.5 extension without them.

You are using the bayonet clips, right? You have to install a different clip for the 10.5 extension than the one that came on the housing.

That sounds kinda confusing..............the bayonet clips work with the other ports, but you can't use the 10.5 extension without them.

There is no mention of a different type of clip, only a lower profile clip that allready comes with the latest housing. I am assuming you mean that you need the lower profile clip as opposed to a totaly different style.

There is no mention of a different type of clip, only a lower profile clip that allready comes with the latest housing. I am assuming you mean that you need the lower profile clip as opposed to a totaly different style.

Yes, the low-profile clips. I didn't realize they were standard on new housings, but that is what I was referring to.

I received my new Ikelite housing and the 8" dome and port for the 10.5. I have to admit, I am pretty uneasy with the bayonett port attachment and configuration. I know water pressure will help prevent accidental rotation of the port but this seems to be a disaster waiting to happen. It is very hard to get the port connection to the dome tight enough and I worry about the transition period back into the boat where there is little water pressure but there can be a lot of jostling around with higher waves. Handing this thing to a crew member? ;) Most guys are very careful, but if you set the dome down??

Edited by tx51210

tx51210,

First, go buy a $1.99 oil filter strap wrench (soft rubber band to grip the port extension) and this should allow you to secure the extension tight enough. Make sure the o-ring is lubed enough so it will slide as you tighten it. Once installed, most shooters don't take it off unless they're changing port extensions...Mine's been on for over a year and multiple trips. And I've used it with 3 different wide angle lenses!

Second, mark the "dot" where you orient the dome on the REAR of the dome port, too. Then when you are diving, you can glance over the top and see the "dot" is still screwed all the way on. This has the same amount of port / o-ring surface area as any Ikelite port where the port locks "lock down". Oly difference being you had to close the port locks first since the 10.5mm lens extension needs to be so short. Water pressure, even in rough water at snorkeling depth will seal it....

Finally, DON'T USE RINSE TANKS!!! I ALWAYS tell any dive guide to NOT put my rig in the rinse tank. I'll do it myself once I take my gear off. That way YOU can look at it and make sure the dome port hasn't been knocked around, etc.

I usually only have to SHOW a divemaster or guide ONCE where and how to handle my rig.....I also hand it up to them so they can only grab it where I want them to.....

Hope this helps!

dhaas

tx51210,

First, go buy a $1.99 oil filter strap wrench (soft rubber band to grip the port extension) and this should allow you to secure the extension tight enough. Make sure the o-ring is lubed enough so it will slide as you tighten it. Once installed, most shooters don't take it off unless they're changing port extensions...Mine's been on for over a year and multiple trips. And I've used it with 3 different wide angle lenses!

Second, mark the "dot" where you orient the dome on the REAR of the dome port, too. Then when you are diving, you can glance over the top and see the "dot" is still screwed all the way on. This has the same amount of port / o-ring surface area as any Ikelite port where the port locks "lock down". Oly difference being you had to close the port locks first since the 10.5mm lens extension needs to be so short. Water pressure, even in rough water at snorkeling depth will seal it....

Finally, DON'T USE RINSE TANKS!!! I ALWAYS tell any dive guide to NOT put my rig in the rinse tank. I'll do it myself once I take my gear off. That way YOU can look at it and make sure the dome port hasn't been knocked around, etc.

I usually only have to SHOW a divemaster or guide ONCE where and how to handle my rig.....I also hand it up to them so they can only grab it where I want them to.....

Hope this helps!

dhaas

Great tip with the filter strap. Someone gave me a set of strap wrenches a few Christmas ago and I never used. Sounds like you found a use for them.

Rinse tanks are getting more crowded with all the great point and shoot models out there. Those little conversations ahead of time with the crew can really pay off.

Edited by tx51210

I would add one thing to David's good instructions on the super wide stalk. Mount the dome on the housing before you mount the housing back plate, camera and lens. This way you can look inside the housing to make sure the o-ring hasn't jumped track.

I would add one thing to David's good instructions on the super wide stalk. Mount the dome on the housing before you mount the housing back plate, camera and lens. This way you can look inside the housing to make sure the o-ring hasn't jumped track.

Good tip, I will keep that in mind as I try it out Saturday. Nothing like 2' vis to make wide angle a challenge.

Sponsors

Advertisements