skinch

UltraLight Base Adaptater for Aquatica Housing?

Hello

Just get my Fisheye 48DX and now i'm looking for the better way to fix it on the top of my Aquatica A20 housing.

I have found the Ultralight AD-SSM for the light, the Clamp, but for the base i couldn't find something good too fix the whole thing on the top of the housing.

To all the aquatica users, i need your help.

Thanks.

Aquatica sells their own adapters, called TLC. Look at the aquatica website for the exact one. You can get the entire thing you need from them

Edit: Try this page http://aquatica.ca/subpages/catalog/category_catalog.htm

If you can't find exactly what you need there then just send them or an Aquatica dealer an email and they can let you know which parts you need.

Edit #2 here it is product number 17854, it is number 49 in the first link i gave you

Thanks Mike Veitch for your quick answer.

I have seen this page on the website, but actually the base with the ball can't fix on my A20, because i don't have a mounting hole alone like, i already have an AD 6mm but it looks that way on the housing:

1.jpg2.jpg

So as you can see, not very stable.

This is where I wanted to fix it:

3.jpg

I'm going to try with the aquatica dealers also, but if anyone her as an idea, i'll take it ;)

What is the spacing between the centres of those two holes, and are they both M6 thread?

I'd be looking at either:

a ) installing a ULCS BH-HB (aka AD-MOD) with two flats cuts into the base flange to stop it rotating in that slot, and a M6 bolt through it into one of those tapped holes.

or

b ) install a slightly modified BA-AQN or BA-AQW. Obviously the base flange will need to be able to take two bolts, much closer together than the pairs used on the tops of the handles.

This is the sort of thing that drove me to buying a milling machine. If you need anything making up, give us a yell. I'm in UK so not too far from France, postally speaking.

Aquatica put this mounting point on most of their housings, I assume they have some plan for using it to attach stuff. It'll be interesting to see what they say.

EDIT:

I had a a quick look at the TLC shoes available from Cameras Underwater, and it looks like the 17551 or 17552 might be what is supposed to go in that position. You could then add a ULCS BA-DT or BA-AD to the dovetail that provides. Make sense? Looking at pictures of James Wiseman's old Aquatica Kodak housing, that's what seems to be mounted on the top of the housing...

http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/aquatica-ko...housing-review/

Martyn

Edited by Rattus

The mesurement you ask are there ... in centimeters:

4.jpg5.jpg

About the infos i get, the AQN won't fit ...

So do you think this base: ULCS BA-DBM Female Dovetail Plate w/ Metric Hardware with this BA-DT will do.

I can't find anywhere the dimension of the the BA-DBM, to see if it goes on the housing or if it is similar to the 17551 or 17552 of TLC.

Edited by skinch

Yep, that's it - that's what I used too. I don't know if the bolt holes are Metric though, I think they might be quarter 20 thread. You should ask the folks at ULCS they will know.

Did you know that Aquatica (TLC) makes an identical female dovetail plate? I bet they know which screws it should come with :-)

Cheers

James

Someone at ULCS told me that the BA-HB:

BA-HB72.jpg

can normaly be fixed on the top of the A20 and someone else told me it fits perfectly on his aquatica housing ...

Just to keep yo updated ... now i have to try it for myself.

Edited by skinch

post-1116-1177804088_thumb.jpgHere is the TLC adapter, which is available from Aquatica. I recommend using the long ULCS Sea and Sea strobe adapter so that if you're shooting a long macro lens the beam will clear the port extension. I have been using the short one, hence I'm using the closer hole of the two. With the longer arm, you could use the one that is further back. The overlap doesn't interfere with the housing, anyway.

Cheers,

Marli

Someone at ULCS told me that the BA-HB:

BA-HB72.jpg

can normaly be fixed on the top of the A20 and someone else told me it fits perfectly on his aquatica housing ...

Just to keep yo updated ... now i have to try it for myself.

That looks like the best bet, especially if the flange is a little too wide to fit between the two ridges on the housing, you could then file two flats onto the flange which will lock it on place once the bolt is tight, so that whatever you hang off it can't start to loosen the fitting. That would be my concern with any fitting where the ball is threaded and just screws into the housing - that's how the TLC part appears to work, maybe the photo is deceptive.

BTW, I'd check the thread before attaching anything tightly. If it's not the right pitch, and some of the metrics seem compatible with some imperials and vice versa, the aluminium will start to tear out. Of course you can bet it'll fail at the least favourable possible time too.

Martyn

Edited by Rattus

The holes are 1/4" x 20 (Same as tripod screw thread), most sold set up for the fisheye light is the TLC 17509 post-1676-1178321027_thumb.jpg

Hope this help.

Just got the BH-HB ...

After a little adjustements, it's very ok.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Sponsors

Advertisements