Sign in to follow this  
echeng

320GB striped RAID array, Macbook Pro

I think I am squeamish, when it comes to computer innards. Never bothered me dissecting stuff in biology class, but the insides of a computer get me every time.

Alex

Back in 2000 I bought a notebook specifically for its ability to house 2 (or even 3) notebook drives. Back then a 17mm 25GB drive was the best you could do and I was intent on editing video on the trip. In the DV days I'd produce at most 60 or 70 GB of raw footage so I figured that once drives got to 100GB or so the need for two drive bays would greatly diminish. Clearly I was mistaken!

This mod is really sexy though I don't have the capacity needs you do. The random read performance is discouraging. What software is doing the RAID 0? Is it configurable? Ordinarily I'd suggest a larger interleave size but the random write performance is good. There seems to be an interaction with the OS. Of course, disk benchmarking itself is notorious.

The 250GB drives should be available soon ;-) If I did this to mine I'd have to wait for those. For what reason I have no idea!

At the same platter density, 7200rpm drives are significantly faster than the 5400 dealies. I'll probably upgrade when 200GB 7200rpm drives are available. That would give me an extra 80GB with the RAID setup, and a notch up in performance.

That's true but typically the slower drives are available in larger capacities. There are 250's now and 300's coming soon. It's not clear that a 200/7K is much faster than a 300/5K especially on large block IO. 7K drives use more power and are louder/hotter too. Considering that the MBP wasn't designed to take the constant heat output of a 2nd drive you might consider whether you want two 7K drives in the chassis.

Of course, if 400 is "enough" ;-) then going for the speed makes sense.

When Wireless USB becomes popular, I just leave a bunch of drives spinning in my cabin and access them wirelessly. I'll be unstoppable!! ;)

Or, I guess I could just hook up a small NAS to my wireless travel router...

Or, maybe something like this:

http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=12&a...amp;modelmenu=1

460_m.gif

When Wireless USB becomes popular, I just leave a bunch of drives spinning in my cabin and access them wirelessly. I'll be unstoppable!! ;)

LOL I can just picture you running around the boat seeing if you got a signal. (I know I would :) )

You have now given me the second time I could use this line recently - why are you doing this - "It goes to 11"

But do be careful of the heat issue.

BTW did not know if you saw this one yet

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/on-the-go

eSATA card, a cable and more portable unstoppable.

Damn Eric, that's cool!

Do any of our cameras have USB host capability yet? My little Jobo GigaVu has it and it's cool.

James

drew -

That page is deceiving. eSata requires external power, and i hate little drives that require power. but i guess if the case were designed well, it could draw power from USB.

drew -

That page is deceiving. eSata requires external power, and i hate little drives that require power. but i guess if the case were designed well, it could draw power from USB.

Ah yes for the eSATA side of things that is true, runs bus on USB from what they mention. FWIW I have a few of the FW800 and other ones and they run fine off the MacBook Pro bus power. The power adapters are nice and small, compared to the wall warts (including the MacBook one) they are nice and easy to carry.

But depending on how long I am going I actually will pack some of the larger enclosures with 1.5 Terrabytes in it. Urgh.

eSata would be nice but USB/FW isn't a big problem for notebook drives especially FW800. Macs power their firewire ports too. :-)

Back in the days of needing 3.5" drives on trips I had to travel with a UPS. Trouble was that I had grounding issues and would blow out firewire ports! Shortly after that a company started producing drive enclosures with small batteries that provided adequate UPS function. I loved those!

Sorry to say but I've tried the wireless thing on a liveaboard already. Most have too much metal in their structure and range barely gets into the hallway :-( Of course, that was 4+ years ago. We used to bring our own wireless AP to Sipidan Water Village so we could log into Wetpixel in the bar. Eventually they let us leave it. If you've ever used wireless there now you know where it came from!

Nerds.

Wow Eric. How do I do that and at what cost? should i ask about warranty issues? ;)

The cost is easy to find out, by going to their webpage and looking at the price. Warranty? don't ask. basically, if something happens you put the SuperDrive back and hope everything works out. ;)

have you tried a hit of firewire 800 yet Eric? the first megabyte is free....

I just got finished configuring and benchmarking a 2 drive 750GB RAID 0 on my new Mac Pro. I became introduced to a nice OS X Disk Utility bug that permanently brain-scrambles the app when you misclick. That adds to my monitor support adventures in the "It just works" file. ;-)

XBench isn't capable of benchmarking disks. Results are thoroughly unreliable and show no meaningful, repeatable differences between block sizes from 16K through 256K. Yes there are differences between configurations, but there is little to help you understand the underlying causes. I would dismiss XBench as a useful disk benchmarking tool.

Each time I created a RAID 0 volume, ran a SuperDuper backup and selected it as the boot volume, OS X failed the subsequent boot. Rerunning SuperDuper in Smart Update mode fixed the problem. That does NOT give me confidence...

Why did running DiskWarrior cut the boot time of my brand new MBP more than in half? Ahh the idiosyncracies of a new platform. :-p Love the new Mac Pro though. Very snappy.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements