Sign in to follow this  
wchen

Grand Cayman - Sting Ray City

I'm heading to Grand Cayman in June. I was wondering if Sting Ray City is a place where I can drive to and do a shore dive. Anyone know? thanks ;)

Nope. It is at least a mile from land. And probably 2 or 3 from where you actually leave from.

where_22a.jpg

It is always one of my frustrations in Cayman - is that SRC is always there, but it is always a challenge to get there under decent photography conditions.

Alex

Nope. It is at least a mile from land. And probably 2 or 3 from where you actually leave from.

where_22a.jpg

It is always one of my frustrations in Cayman - is that SRC is always there, but it is always a challenge to get there under decent photography conditions.

Alex

We were extremely fortunate to have been our on the Cayman Aggressor over Christmas on year. The weather was great and the best part is that there are no Cruise ships allowed in port on Xmas so the crowds didn't exist. We woke up moored just off Stingray City and were the only ones there :)

There was a downside to this though... it seems the critters are used to a regular feeding and we were attacked by what behaved as a pack of hungry dogs! Noone got hurt but there was quite a lot of bumping going on.

I think that all the feeding has definiely affected this particular ecosystem.

Alex - you're a dog. You always manage to pull out wonderful pictures to illustrate a point. wow!!!

thanks for the response. I'm signed up for a Stingray City dive, but was hoping I could drive and dive the spot before the cruiseship guests hit the spot. I'm really not that concerned because others here have some wonderful pics from that spot, including the doctor, you.

-- will

Dave, neighbor, and buddy. I now have a real job. I've been missing the dive club meetings, but have diving in my heart. from Toronto.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements