Sign in to follow this  
mrbubbles

More drysuit stuff

Im going to channel islands in a few weeks with my drysuit. Water temp is in the 50s. What type of undergarments would be recommended. Thanks

Personally with this type of dry-suit diving I would wear:

A tight basque

Suspenders

Fish-nets (preferably the wide stitch)

Some kind of high heels..Patent leathers good.

French knickers, but that might chaff so a thong, maybe.

Oh and don't forget the lace gloves, a finish to any special occasion.

Hope this helps

Dive safe

Dean(tulula at weekends)B

mrbubbles, could you give a bit more of an idea about the type of environment you are accustomed too? and if the drysuit is compressed neoprene or a trilaminate?

without this its a bit difficult to say. :glare:

Edited by PeterCatchpole

great suggestion. How about the color sceme. Im using a dui trilaminate. Altho I live in la i'm a cold water whimp. Its been 10 years since I dived local, and I want to try taking advantage of whats here, and save money, and travel time.

10 degC will be quite a shock to you, you'll need a hood, I'd go with a 3mm and 3mm gloves, you could go for 5mm; but i find them too thick and restricting, your head and hands will still be cold, just a bit quicker.

if your drysuit is a snug fit, ie not a lot of spare space, then you'll need to think about something like a polatec underlayer, my personal choice would be Fourth Element, for you the artic. The advantage of this type of underlayer is that irrespective how wet it gets you'll stay warm..ish :)

If you have a bit of space then maybe Weezle, you may be warmer, but it is bulkier than the fourthelement, something like Undersuits.

The surface temperatures have been above the seasonal average, 20 degC plus today, so your diving should be great fun.

Are you diving for anything specific?

Channel islands of England or California?

Here in CA the water temp is around 54. I use a 6 mm neoprene dry suit so a moderate polyester jump suit is fine. Body bag divers often use jumpsuits with thinsulate in them or the very thick DUI polyester jump suit.

I use wetsuit gloves (5mm) though sometimes my hands get cold and some like dry gloves.

Layered with merino wool undergarments is a great way to go.

Thanks guys. Im looking forward to cold california diving

Last weekend I was using a 16oz fleece jumpsuit with Patagonia Capilene "underwear" in my drysuit. My wife gets cold easier than I, so she wears a 20oz jumpsuit.

I've just bough a DUI suit (compressed neoprene and surprisingly light) after my old ex-Nato Avon suit finally started to fail. Tried it for the first time on Friday with a Weezle AND Fourth Element pullover underneath (plus wickaway type base layers, two pairs of socks and fleece track suit style trousers - I hate the cold!). Very comfy and since we managed a 90 minute dive at 12 C it seemed pretty warm. (About my only gripe is that the rockboots are a bit fafy to get on and off but they fit well into the force fins that I use and again were very comfy underwater). But using this lot requires a little space to squeeze them in.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements