Chris Jordan is an American artist who turns statistics on consumption into beautiful and thought-provoking images.

Chris Jordan's current series

And a quote from his website;

"As an American consumer myself, I am in no position to finger wag; but I do know that when we reflect on a difficult question in the absence of an answer, our attention can turn inward, and in that space may exist the possibility of some evolution of thought or action. So my hope is that these photographs can serve as portals to a kind of cultural self-inquiry. It may not be the most comfortable terrain, but I have heard it said that in risking self-awareness, at least we know that we are awake. "

Wow! Everytime I travel I am appalled at the amount of waste we generate. At a single sit down lunch in the airport, one can use several foam/plastic dishes, 3 plastic utensils, a coated drink cup with plastic lid and plastic straw, a handful of napkins, several condimint packs, etc.

I have taken to not using utensils and refusing any bag or container that i can. Ideas to consume less:

-Use as little disposable items as possible

-Recycle everything you can and purchase recyclable stuff

-Use canvas bags instead of accepting plastic or paper

-Use washable cloths instead of paper towels

-Travel with your own set of utensils (plasitic knife of course:))

-Ask for real dishes (not disposable)

-By used (Craigs list) instead of new

-Buy a used car that is more fuel efficent than your last one

-Purchase wind or solar power from you utility company

-Buy local, by organic

-Plant a tree and another

-Eat more vegetarian, less fish and meat

-Eat less commercially caught or raised fish

-Contribute to groups that are doing more than you to save our planet

The outlook is grim and the ability to make an impact daunting. I still believe we should do all we can at the individual level regardless.

-shawn

Sponsors

Advertisements