Sign in to follow this  
sanichols

Adorama? Tokina 10-17 or Nikon 16mm used?

So, I can afford to buy the Tokina 10-17mm new with the S&S sx extension ring. For the same price I could get the Nikon 16mm new. Alternately, I could get the Nikon 16mm used from Adorama (Demo quality - next to highest) and save a few bucks.... which should be a priority :) .. if I were responsible :lol:

Any experience with Adorama. How about buying used?

What would YOU do.... I can't seem to make a decision.

I've bought many lenses from B&H and Adorama, no problems and I always save a bunch.

I have the 16mm and like it very much, but if the 10-17mm was avialable when I bought it, I think that I would have gone for it. With the 10-17 you get the capabilities of the 10.5mm FE, the 16mm FE and more.

You will trade some sharpness for flexability. IMHO, in the case, it's probably worth it. Especially if cost is an issue!

John

I have the choice to use both most days but always opt for the Tokina 10-17 as it focuses closer, allows for the odd self portrait, and gives that wide shot when needed. Mostly it's the closer focusing that sways me.

Regards

Gary

Edited by marinedomain

Just traded the Nikon 16mm FE for the Tokina 10-17mm FE.

Will take out tomorrow. Very excited for my new toy!

John

I started with the 16mm when I was shooting my F100. When I got my D200 I borrowed a 10-17 and fell in live with it. I still us the 16mm for some of my nature photography in the everglades, but underwater I am only using the 10-17. I think this is the way to go.

Just my 0.02.

I started with the 16mm when I was shooting my F100. When I got my D200 I borrowed a 10-17 and fell in live with it. I still us the 16mm for some of my nature photography in the everglades, but underwater I am only using the 10-17. I think this is the way to go.

Just my 0.02.

hey Jarehed,

which port and zoom gear are you using for the tokina 10-17?

I have a sea & sea housing for my D80, but I wasn't sure if there were options for using the tokina 10-17 with it...

thanks,

Scott

hey Jarehed,

I have a sea & sea housing for my D80, but I wasn't sure if there were options for using the tokina 10-17 with it...

thanks,

Scott

Scott,

For Sea & Sea you can use the NX Fisheye Dome Port with the XS Extension Ring, or you can use the Compact Dome Port without the extension ring. I am using the Fisheye Dome Port with the extension ring as I already had the dome from my F100 housing for use with my 16mm lens.

There is no Sea & Sea zoom gear for this lens (yet), but Ryan at Reef was able to adapt another Sea & Sea gear for this lens.

fisheyeview

hey Jarehed,

I'm using the Big NX Fisheye Dome Port with no extension rings, so far pics seem pretty good and reasonably sharp in the corners. From talking to the guys at backscatter, the smaller domes need the Sx extension rings, but not the big one. Results seem to bear this out.

The Sea and Sea zoom ring for the Cannon 16-35mm is a perfect fit for the Tokina.

Take care,

John

A word of caution about adorama...

I bought some second hand equip off them on eBay, and it was in working condition, but covered in salt. They listed it as 'great condition'

I emailed them within 20mins of receiving the parcel saying it wasn't as listed and was salty! - and they called me a liar and essentially told me to go screw myself!

I think i have had bad luck with eBay in the last year though, and i doubt this happens to everyone!

A word of caution about adorama...

I bought some second hand equip off them on eBay, and it was in working condition, but covered in salt. They listed it as 'great condition'

I emailed them within 20mins of receiving the parcel saying it wasn't as listed and was salty! - and they called me a liar and essentially told me to go screw myself!

I think i have had bad luck with eBay in the last year though, and i doubt this happens to everyone!

My dealings with Adorama were not on Ebay but with them directly. But basically the same thing, called a liar and the other thought listed. Any more I will deal with them.

Stephen

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements