Craig Ruaux

Will I be stuck in transit?

So, all ye well travelled in Indonesia types.

Is a two hour arrival to departure (ie scheduled arrival 1pm, scheduled departure 3:05 pm) window insanely short and impossible if transiting through Jakarta's airport, given that I would be coming in on a domestic flight then transiting to an international flight, on a different carrier?

Transiting through Jakarta would make it feasible for me to be back in the US on a sunday morning, meaning I can be back at work on Monday (Oh Joy!)

The other (I think more likely) option, coming back to the US via Bali, I'm going to be back in Portland about 9am on the monday morning, which means I'll likely need to take that Monday off as well.

I'm pretty confident that this is an insane idea... feel free to let me know that is the case.

Craig, if you want to live dangerously, it's still not a good idea.

I just went from Maumere to Bali on a "direct" flight and we turned up in Sumba for a stopover for 30 mins. Which gave me another notch on the number of islands visited in Indo (and the waiting lounge was a/c which is a lot better than many other indo airports). But we were delayed by 30-40 mins because of that unreported change.

Moreover, the flight is at 6am which means you will not be able to dive the last day :rolleyes:

If I remember CGK airport. You land at Terminal 1 and have to get to Terminal 2. Depending on your airline going out, let's say you take 30 minutes to get your bags and get out and 20 mins to find your airline to check in. Assuming you land near on time that gives you about 60 minutes spare to check in, go thru customs/immigration and get to your gate. How lucky do you feel? :blink:

Drew's advice is well taken. As it happens, I was with him on the flight that from Maumere to Denpasar that diverted to Sumba last month which he mentioned. There wasn't a word about the unscheduled stopover before we took off. I remember thinking as we started the descent for the landing, firstly, "Gee, I'm surprised the flight from Maumere to Bali didn't take longer!" and secondly, "Gee, I don't remember ever seeing horses running loose on the runways at the airport in Bali before!" Then I figured it out.

It's not that there are always delays in domestic flights in Indonesia, but they're often enough that I would never count on making an important connection with as slim a window as what you're talking about.

Anyway, it sounds like you don't really want to get to work Monday anyway. Come through Bali, give yourself an evening and we'll have dinner and a glass of something.

Frogfish (Robert Delfs)

Sponsors

Advertisements