fishfetish

What must one do in Bali other than dive?

We're headed to Wakatobi next week and on the way there we have 2 nights in Bali with 1 full day. Are there any activities or sights which you would describe as a "must do" while there for a quick visit? I'm not one to lay on the beach during my vacations - I'm usually interested in some adventurous activity. I appreciate the feedback in advance.

Cheers,

Dan

Ubud.

not only visit Ubud, but have a chocolate cake there :) there's a place in the main street that has one of the best chocolate cake's i've had in a long time :)

I had a great time doing an ATV tour around the base of Mt. Agung very picturesque.

Regards

Gary

ive just spent 10 days travelling around Bali, it's an awesome place, theres lots to do here. Im in sanur at the moment, if you want any details finding out, send me a pm.

Simon

White water rafting on the Ayung river followed by sunset dinner at the Alila or Mosaic, trekking up the Besakih Temple on Agung before sunrise followed by Ubud spa and sunset dinner at Mosaic or Alila, surfing at the Ulu (break corner) followed by sunset dinner at La Lucciola.

Err Pulau Menjangan to look for the java mouse deer.

Or dive in Bali for 2 days and get better critters than anything at Wakatobi :)

I was in Manjagen the other day and a Stag nearly ran in to me! My bloody camera was in the boat though!

You could always try to build up a 2 day hangover in Kuta or Trawangan.....

If you fancy diving there's lots about, I've seen both H. denise and H. bargibanti on the same dive, it might be worth doing a few easy dives in Seraya to get yourself back into the swing of things.

Oh my, lots to do, without knowing where you are staying, first night Jimbaran Beach for the fish restaurants, too many to choose from, Roma's always a good bet, it's about halfway along the beach, you can't miss them as they have very high Alang Alang roofs, get there by 5:30pm, for a few sundowners and get eating, good evening atmosphere as most of the beach restaurants have strolling bands which are a real hoot. If you have seen Air America at Gino's you'll know what I mean.

Next day get out into the countryside, my suggestion would be around Jatiluwih, absolutely stunning scenery and a very good Cafe there where you can stop for a break and look out over the terraced rice paddies. Ubud is easy to get from there so that could be your next stop, too much to see and do really, food, spa's, bars, dancing, music etc. Classic places are the Lotus and Murni's.

Second and last evening, try Seminyak, like KuDeTa, Zanzibar, etc, great bars right on the beach to watch the sun go down and good restaurants to eat. you could also try Made's Warung 1 or 2, number 1 is at Bemo corner, while number 2 is great for some people watching.

The most important rule with Bali, is be ready to change your plans at a moments notice, as you travel around there is a good chance to come across a family/village ceremony which you really should stop and be part of also when out in the countryside, be prepared to go in another direction if it looks interesting.

If you like a good empty beach for surfing, try Dreamland on the Bukit Peninsula. If your after a cheap stay try Mick's Place.

If you go to Ubud, don't miss the market. There are so many photo opportunites there! I arrived the night before and was too jetlagged to do any shooting but am kicking myself for not doing it. It's the most non-western place I've ever been to. Enjoy!

Thanks all for the tips. I don't know anything about Bali so I'm trying to educate myself before I go. I'm staying at the Nusa Dua Beach Hotel so I will be based out of there for 2 nights.

Nusa Dua is sorta like the mega resort area of Bali. If you want to exercise, the trek up to Besahkih is nice, you have to get up around 4 am to make it by sunrise for a view of Bali on Agung. You can either hire guides at the foot of the mountain or follow a tour. Beware that they are pretty aggressive on donations but limiting it to 20-30,000 rupiah at each round should be suffice. Also pay no more than 50k rups for entry. Bargain gracefully but firmly. They do have bikes that drive up the mountain but that's sort of lame.

You should be done by the afternoon. I'd have lunch in Ubud then travel to Tanah Lot for sunset. If you still have energy, Seminyak has good restos you can gorge on.

Day 2 I'd hit Uluwatu and Jimbaran Bay for sunset.

I'm gonna be staying in Candidasa for two weeks beginning July. Looking for Harlequin Shrimps and early arrivals in the Mola clans. Anyone else around at that time?

Cheers,

Mark.

P.S PeterCatchpole, for what its worth I used to live between Bournemouth and Mudeford as a kid. The times spent running around the New Forrest are some of the best memories from my childhood. Beautiful place.

I'm gonna be staying in Candidasa for two weeks beginning July. Looking for Harlequin Shrimps and early arrivals in the Mola clans. Anyone else around at that time?

Cheers,

Mark.

P.S PeterCatchpole, for what its worth I used to live between Bournemouth and Mudeford as a kid. The times spent running around the New Forrest are some of the best memories from my childhood. Beautiful place.

Mark... Harlequins are guaranteed at Seraya, they have a new baby one too, about an inch long. They are out in the open all day and all night too so perfect for video. email me if you want me to sort anything out for you.

If you likes artwork, Ubud. And spend an hour at the Monkey Forest. It's the funnest hour of trip. Use your flash.

Our trips to Bali are becoming art shopping trips with some diving on the side. I actually left scuba gear to make more room in the suitcase.

You can always due the dance program, but I thought it was mostly a boring tourist scam.

Hire a driver and go north.

If you likes artwork, Ubud. And spend an hour at the Monkey Forest. It's the funnest hour of trip. Use your flash.

Our trips to Bali are becoming art shopping trips with some diving on the side. I actually left scuba gear to make more room in the suitcase.

You can always due the dance program, but I thought it was mostly a boring tourist scam.

Hire a driver and go north.

LOL Tourist scam? Ouch... I guess you don't like performing arts huh, George?

The Kechak is more of a scam than Legong Dances. Not very authentic (although in the melting pot, what is authenticism?). Still the Baraka sequence in Ulu was amazing. Somehow they haven't hit those heights again.

Oh my, lots to do, without knowing where you are staying, first night Jimbaran Beach for the fish restaurants, too many to choose from, Roma's always a good bet, it's about halfway along the beach, you can't miss them as they have very high Alang Alang roofs, get there by 5:30pm, for a few sundowners and get eating, good evening atmosphere as most of the beach restaurants have strolling bands which are a real hoot. If you have seen Air America at Gino's you'll know what I mean.

Next day get out into the countryside, my suggestion would be around Jatiluwih, absolutely stunning scenery and a very good Cafe there where you can stop for a break and look out over the terraced rice paddies. Ubud is easy to get from there so that could be your next stop, too much to see and do really, food, spa's, bars, dancing, music etc. Classic places are the Lotus and Murni's.

Second and last evening, try Seminyak, like KuDeTa, Zanzibar, etc, great bars right on the beach to watch the sun go down and good restaurants to eat. you could also try Made's Warung 1 or 2, number 1 is at Bemo corner, while number 2 is great for some people watching.

The most important rule with Bali, is be ready to change your plans at a moments notice, as you travel around there is a good chance to come across a family/village ceremony which you really should stop and be part of also when out in the countryside, be prepared to go in another direction if it looks interesting.

If you like a good empty beach for surfing, try Dreamland on the Bukit Peninsula. If your after a cheap stay try Mick's Place.

I ate at Roma's too!! Actually brought one of their tacky napkin holders back with me. Great food! Be sure to take plenty of "Bintang breaks" while in Bali. I second the thought that you must be flexible. Bali is culturally rich, with lots happening. Be sure to flex your plans when you come onto something special. We got invited to a royal cremation when we were there. Very special!!

Most importantly, enjoy the wonderful people. Learn some Indonesian, or better yet, Balinese. I don't know how it is spelled, but thank you in Balinese is (phonetically) "Matur Sook-soo-ma" (or so I was told!!). People will be so pleased you know that.

I don't find anything on Bali a scam, well perhaps where the addresses end in an "X" there are scams going on, but I haven't visited those.

The most touristy thing I've seen are the Monkey Forests, particularly the one where your guide, after your monkey tour, guides you back to the entrance which includes a visit to her little store on the way ;);):)

I like the countryside on bali, particularly the higher elevations where the terraced rice fields sweep across the landscape. I've never made a great picture of it, but I know one is hiding in those fields....somewhere :D

Some pics above and below from a few trips i did years ago can be found here:

http://www.marinedomaindiving.com/picpages/bali.htm

http://www.marinedomaindiving.com/pages/bali.htm

If you can get yourself a private driver (so you can bypass the shopping stops of the tours) the trip up to the volcano at Kintamani is very nice

Regards

Gary

This really depends on what kind of person you are and what kind of things you like doing? Do you like fine dining, trendy places to hang out, are you interested in the local culture, local architecture, scenery, trekking, white water rafting, shopping etc etc…

As you are based very close to Jimbaran Seafood restaurants, I would say that you should definitely check this out for an evening seafood meal, unless you don’t like seafood, then it’s not that good! Roma's is a good, safe choice!

I'm really shocked to read this... where have people been going for local dances? Has anyone actually been to a real ceremonial dance? I can tell you that the real ceremonies and the ones you see in Ubud or anywhere else are definitely authentic. I have spent hours watching them and find them all to be very different; each part of Bali has their own unique form of each dance! For fun and an interesting variety of dances offered up for tourism, you can't beat the Ubud Palace dancers.

Mark... Harlequins are guaranteed at Seraya

Garanteed hey? I was recently at Seraya and one day noticed that someone had made a hole in the side of a sponge where a large Harlequin shrimp was, shortly after this it disappeared. Though the next day there was a tiny juvenile on another part of the reef.

If you decide you want to go and check out local scenery, go out for a day, you will be best taking a reliable Balinese driver for the day. I can recomend a few great drivers we have been using for many years with great reports every time.

Tagging along as I will be in Bali for 8 days in August. My only question so far is whats a java mouse deer??

Sponsors

Advertisements