Claustro

Canon Powershoot Hack..the way to raw format and more!

Be warned, this is a warranty voiding hack. Don't do it unless you know the risks involved.

In all probability, the service dept won't notice... but if they do, they have the right to void your warranty.

Be warned, this is a warranty voiding hack. Don't do it unless you know the risks involved.

In all probability, the service dept won't notice... but if they do, they have the right to void your warranty.

The hack is loaded on temp memory so everything is gone when you switch off the camera...

so I don't think the warranty will be a problem:-)

I'm pretty sure this hack would have no effect on warranty since it makes no changes to the original firmware. It loads everytime you start the camera from the card.

KLW

Edited by kerryw

Works fine on a640 also.

Works fine on a640 also.

Figured it would, nice to hear confirmed however as I will be buying an A640/ikelite setup shortly.

Nice Gallery by the way, I'm thinking of Bonaire this fall is work allows...

KLW

thanks, we enjoyed it, if you need a local contact (for guiding the salt/town pier) or wild-side diving, or tech diving .. see Benji at Caribbean gas training

This sounds fantastic! I wonder if somone is on the way to crack DIGICIII out there?

However, this would take the Cannon 710IS to a quite favourable position as a good UW-compact as compared with for instance G7 as there would now be RAW support.

/O

This sounds fantastic! I wonder if somone is on the way to crack DIGICIII out there?

/O

Last time I checked (2 weeks ago) I couldn't find any indication anywhere that someone has succeeded yet with the DIGIC III chip. Others (especially if they speak Russian) may have more luck.

However, this would take the Cannon 710IS to a quite favourable position as a good UW-compact as compared with for instance G7 as there would now be RAW support.

/O

I have tested the hack on my A710IS. Nothing scientific, but:

- The hack is loaded from a file on the SD card at bootup. It can be enabled and disabled by locking and unlocking (respectively) the write protection on the SD card before turing the camera on. The hack loads at startup, and remains running until the camera is turned off. There is no change to the camera's firmware. Note: locking the SD card does not prevent the camera from writing image files.

- It seems (from my reading elsewhere) that the raw file is 10-bit not 12-bit. This is consistent with my observation that it's quite hard to do better with the converted raw file than the camera does itself in producing its jpg.

- It is possible in Adobe Camera Raw to rescue some minor overexposure. I think this would be useful for underwater, where I find it really hard to avoid occasional overexposure when one part of the scene turns out to be more reflective than I realised.

- However my impression is that battery life with the hack running is really dreadful. That may turn out to be because I'm not using the camera much and the NiMH batteries may be discharging before I actually get around to using the camera. I'm hoping to test that in the next couple of weeks, but it's hard to find the time.

- The additional capabilities include:

-- real time RGB histogram

-- raw

-- better exposure bracketing

-- control of display of all on-screen information elements

I decided not to get the housing for the camera as it seems that Inon does not make an AD-mount adapter for it.

-David

- However my impression is that battery life with the hack running is really dreadful. That may turn out to be because I'm not using the camera much and the NiMH batteries may be discharging before I actually get around to using the camera. I'm hoping to test that in the next couple of weeks, but it's hard to find the time.

I'm not going to have time to do a proper test in the foreseeable future; there's too much else to do.

However, I loaded up with a new pair of batteries (Enneloops, as it happens; rated 2000mAH) this morning. After 50 quick shots and some review and deletions, when I started the camera again 5 minutes later the battery meter read 94% [Edit: 94% in playback mode; 74% in record mode. The meter is very sensitive to the load on the battery]. Of course this number while precise is not accurate, since I haven't calibrated the 100% and 0% points for any particular kind of battery. Still, it suggests battery life is not as bad as I previously thought it might be.

Most of my other battery sets are rather old, and I have decided to replace them before the next big trip.

-David

Edited by Patterns

I'm not going to have time to do a proper test in the foreseeable future; there's too much else to do.

However, I loaded up with a new pair of batteries (Enneloops, as it happens; rated 2000mAH) this morning. After 50 quick shots and some review and deletions, when I started the camera again 5 minutes later the battery meter read 94% [Edit: 94% in playback mode; 74% in record mode. The meter is very sensitive to the load on the battery]. Of course this number while precise is not accurate, since I haven't calibrated the 100% and 0% points for any particular kind of battery. Still, it suggests battery life is not as bad as I previously thought it might be.

Most of my other battery sets are rather old, and I have decided to replace them before the next big trip.

-David

Don't forget, the A570 allows the CHDK hack - giving you RAW, a live histogram, battery meter ( in percent or actual volts), and more.

Turns an impressive sub $300 (camera + housing) package into a "best bang for the buck" contender

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

This post was meant for the A570 sub forum - My apologies

Regards

Edited by TEERLKAY

Sponsors

Advertisements