Sign in to follow this  
underwaterdigital

This is really SAD:(

THOUGHT YOU GUYS MIGHT BE INTERESTED.......

I just got off the phone talking to a good source from Japan and I was told that Nikon Japan will soon discontinue production of the Nikon Coolpix 5000 digicam

This will definitely affect sales on all Coolpix5000 housing.

It's sad to see underwater housing manufacturer not being able to keep up with digital camera manufacturer.

What lies in the future??? Perhaps a DIVE MASK with built in 5 MP digicam:)

Regards,

Allan

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the news.

But why is it sad?

Will the price of the Coolpix 5000 increase? I don't think so. So that's a good thing.

Will Nikon stop servicing the 5000? Nope.

Will a better 5 megapixel for underwater shooting come out? Probably not. The "upgrade" to the 5700 has a terrible lens for UW shooting.

I guess it's sort of the same situation that Canon D60 owners are in now. They are probably all saying "All right! D60 prices will come down!"

Nikon's consumer digicam product cycle is about 1 year. Their digicams have also been doubling resolution about every 2 years. I agree that housing manufacturers have a tough time keeping up. That is why Ike is in such a good place now.

Cheers

James

What lies in the future??? Perhaps a DIVE MASK with built in 5 MP digicam:)

I rather hope we'll see an UW version of the new picture messaging mobile phone. Imagine taking a pic and phoning it through to your mates whilst still UW. :P:P:P

Mark

Nikon's consumer digicam product cycle is about 1 year. Their digicams have also been doubling resolution about every 2 years. I agree that housing manufacturers have a tough time keeping up. That is why Ike is in such a good place now.

A good point James. I've commented in the past that spending thousands of dollars on a nice housing for one of these consumer cameras is a poor investment for people who'll only do a few dive trips a year. Ask yourself how many dives you're going get for all this money before something will come along to make your rig look ancient. The $250 housing is the main reason the Olympus cameras are so popular.

Now that we've all seen what Laz can do with the Oly 5050, look for the resale price of the 4040 Tetra to plummet.

If all of this is true (4300 and 5000 both going away), then that would mean Nikon would only have the 4500 and the 5700 as their 4 and 5 MP offerings. Neither happens to be at a wonderful price point considering what other manufacturers are offering in the same resolution range now. Can't imagine they would let that remain the case for long.

BTW, I happen to think the 4300 is a pretty neat little camera . . .

why do you think the 5000 has a lousy lens for u/w use? sure it's not an SLR, but in the Light and Motion housing with a wetmate w/a adapter I can get 2 inches from the subject. wide angle shots are clear and consistent as are macro shots. I think the 5000 is as good as any other compact digital camera in a housing. I've had mine for over a year and its been great for what it is. It's not a D100 or D60, but it costs 1/3 of what a DSLR costs, is 1/3 the weight/bulk to travel with and I can still print 13x19 prints that are good enough to mount and frame.

too bad the housing cost twice what the camera cost! B)

I think he meant that the 5700, referred to as the "upgrade" for the 5000 (???), has a lousy lens for underwater use . . .

I just edited my post - whoops! I meant the 5700 has a lousy lens for UW use.

The 5000 has the BEST lens of all the consumer digicams because it is 28-85mm AND goes down to better than 1:1 in macro mode. The other cameras companies just discovered this feature THIS YEAR when Nikon has had it for 3 years. The other companies are calling it the "new" supermacro feature...lol

What's funny is that some people also call the lens "slow" at f2.8 AFAIK (as far as I know) I NEVER EVER shoot at anything slower than about f4 underwater if I can help it.

Cheers

James

ok, I completely agree the 5700 is terrible for wide angle in general. I'm not sure what nikon was thinking with this camera, although the native long zoom would be nice if you're on a boat and want to capture stuff not too far away like sea lions or whales (or divers surfacing :P ) maybe they were thinking people would buy both to 5000 (for close ups) and the 5700 for its zoom. what a stupid idea, never mind. :P

I hope they replace the 5000 with something in the same class/size. it really is a nice grab camera. I might buy a second one as a backup if they get really cheap if they're really about to be discontinued.

Marty

The reason they stuck a longer lens on the camera was because that is where the market is going. Most digicam buyers are less comcerned about absolute image quality and macro performance and more concerned about having one camera "do it all". They want something that they can use to take pictures on vaction and at their kids' soccer games. Have you checked out prices of the old Olympus C-2100UZ lately? Only 2MP but with a 10x image-stabilized zoom. It's been discontinued for going on two years now and they are selling for more than they were offered for when new! It boggles my mind that Oly now offers their 10x zoom camera without the stabilizer, but they are apparently selling enough to make it worth their while. Can't imagine trying to get a sharp picture from a 380mm equivalent lens on a P&S camera w/o the stabilizer but maybe all those soccer moms high on Starbucks products can hold a camera steadier than I can . . .

Mike

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements