Claude

Tokina 10-17 and D200

I'm using this lens for a bit more than a month on my D200... I love it B)

Some pictures attached...

Cheers

Claude

P427_031.jpg

P424_023.jpg

P424_003.jpg

P420_009.jpg

P423_015.jpg

P425_024.jpg

P427_041.jpg

P427_048.jpg

Very nice Claude!

Unusual and unique!!!!! I mean the lens, your compsition and the environment. I love seeing underwater photos from "out-of-the-ordinary locals" (I hope you get my meaning I'm not sure that will translate well.... )

I'm "scouting" out different underwater locations around Florida.

I'll get this lens too - soon......

Thanks, Carol B)

(I hope you get my meaning I'm not sure that will translate well.... )

I do... looking like french :)

thanks for your feedback

See ya

Claude

Nice shots.

I have been shooting this lens on my D200 for a couple of weeks now, and I love it. It is fast becoming my favorite lens.

Thanks for posting!

I'm seriously on the fence for my next lense purchase I have a 10.5 and was about to add the 12-24

but seeing everybody's rave reviews ..I'm stuck

which would be next for you the Tok or the 12-24?

which would be next for you the Tok or the 12-24?

The tokina allows you to get very close to the subject... which is fantastic!

12-24's minimum shooting distance is about 12 inch... so, for me, it is not an interesting lens to be used underwater!

I just ordered one of these lenses. I can't wait to try it out next month on my next dive trip. :lol:

Alex, what is the correct size for your magic Filter for the Nikon mount? Size dimensions or recommended filter to be "taped" into position???? I want one, but have no idea what the dimensions needed for the lens nor what sizes are available. Please advise.

Robin

claude, fisheye - which port are you using with your S&S housing and the 10-17mm fisheye lens?

did you have to buy a separate product to zoom the lens in and out? I haven't used a zoom lens underwater before..

I have a 10.5mm fisheye lens that I use in a compact dome port on my D80 with my Sea & Sea housing.. I wonder if the tokina 10-17mm would also work in that port, and what zoom gear i'd have to purchase...

Scott

Used the 10-17mm in my Sea and Sea housing last week for the first time with great results. I traded in my 16mm for the Tokina and am very happy with the deal so far.

For reference, here's a few things I've discovered:

- I use the big Sea and Sea dome port with no extension ring.

- The Sea and Sea zoom gear for the Cannon 16-35mm fits perfect with no modification on the Tokina.

- The 16mm Magic Filters are perfect for taping over the back of the Nikon mount Tokina 10-17mm.

- It's very easy to get my fins in the picture at the 10mm end.

Hope this helps,

john

I use the narrow extension ring (SX) with the optical glass dome port for best results. I found the 18-35 zoom ring fitted perfectly. Anyone want to buy a Nikon 10.5mm?

Here's a lens sharpness chart (The only one I could find underwater!) You will notice that it goes a little unsharp at the edges.

post-4197-1179896605_thumb.jpg

post-4197-1179896624_thumb.jpg

post-4197-1179897132_thumb.jpg

As John, I'm using the SX ring with the optical glass dome port - as zoom gear, I have an old Subal one :lol:

Cheers

Claude

got some decent sht with the aquatic domeport an no extension ring, I will try a comparison shot with an without the 1-24 extension ring that I have. i believe that thin extension ring i what I will eventually end up with

Edited by The Octopus

Wow, very lovely.

I am trying very hard to achieve these effects with mediocore results

Could you share some info about settings and strobepositions?

:lol: Wow!! Stunner!! artistic and poetic!!

After seeing your photos, i have decided to call my camera shop to have this lens!! ^_^

Could you share some info about settings and strobepositions?

argh... complicated as I'm changing my settings for almost all pictures I'm taking - there's no secret... I'm just trying to stay over f8 !

About strobes : sometimes one on the left and the over on the right... sometimes one over the subject... just a question of feeling - I can't say there's a rule > sorry :lol:

Jenny... ask for a special price as your dealer won't have to convince you ^_^

Thanks B)

Claude

This lens is too new to be on teh Sea & Sea port chart. I spoke with Ryan at Reef Photo. He recomended using the XS Extension Ring with my NX Fisheye Dome Port. I have not ried it without the XS ring, but it seems that Jarhead is having success without the ring.

Here are a couple of pictures that I have recently shot with the 10-17:

Viz on this day was about 30-40 feet and it was over cast

10-17 @ 10mm, 1/13, f11, ISO-100

1177800228_Kelly-on-the-Tracey-1-copy.jpg

Viz was maybe 70' and sunny

10-17 @ 10mm, 1/60, f5.6, ISO-100

1179107833_Diver-below-deck-on-Tracy2-.jpg

Not the best pic, but an example at 17mm

Viz about 70' and sunny

10-17 @ 17mm, 1/60, f5.6, ISO-100

1179107900_Goliath-Grouper-on-Tracy-co.jpg

fisheye

I use the narrow extension ring (SX) with the optical glass dome port for best results.

Hi, before I flood my housing, can someone confirm this for me?

I have an SX Extension ring locked on to the MDX-300 housing, and am now putting on the Optical Dome Port. I set it in the mounted SX ring and gently rotate it to the 'locked' position, but there doesn't appear to be anyway to lock it in place (the SX Ring is using the housing lock mechanisim...)

Am i good to go without a lock? Is it that simple?

Thanks for your help!

Mike

but there doesn't appear to be anyway to lock it in place (the SX Ring is using the housing lock mechanisim...)

that's it... no way to lock a port when using a ring !

btw, I've never used the locking option of my s&s housings: if you want to change your lens after a dive, you're obliged to open the back which brings more flooding opportunities then a locked port!

Cheers

Claude

Sponsors

Advertisements