shawnh

Sea Watch News Alert: Sea of Cortez Longlining Legislation

Sea Watch News Alert, May 2007

two_sharks.jpg

Photo: Sea Watch

NOM-029-PESCA-2006 Took Effect May 16. This new regulation was promoted as a way to protect Shark and Ray populations from overfishing. Instead, it permits thousands of longline fishing boats inside parts of the Sea of Cortez that are now supposed to be protected from commercial take.

Press Release on NOM-029

Folks, the Sea of Cortez has taken a beating in the last 20 years. In the last 10 years the problem has escalated. The waters now are laced with millions of longline hooks and hundreds of miles of gill nets every single day. Even the "sactuaries" are given little reprieve. This latest legislation puts the nail in the coffin.

This slide show is a must see if you want to learn more: Slide Show

If you care to see any mantas, sharks, dolphins or whales in the near future in the Sea or Cortez or off Socorro, please don't hesitate to take action now: Contact Mexican Government

Thanks everyone for taking the time to make a difference!

The most recent update suggests the government may be taking some notice. Please send your input to increase the chance of reversal.

Agreed.

I know it feels like we're trying to stay one step ahead of the giant vacuum cleaner, but, if we give up now, we lose it for ever.

Walt Stearns

www.underwaterjournal.com

Thanks Shawn. Email sent to 'all'.

I agree we can't affort to give up. There is a depressing inevitability about so much of this stuff, but even if our grandchildren can see some of the wonders of the planet it will be worth our efforts. Right now I fear for my own kids (and they're in their twenties ...)

hi can anyone send me this info as a PDF? my email is writepic@gmail.com and i'm currently fundraising for a documentary on this issue which is hitting hard in ecuador. this mexican story might provide an interesting

comparison.

sorry to ask to be mailed this but i've got very very limited access to the internet at the moment so any help would be most appreciated.

regards,

mark

done .

The Sea Watch thing made eMailing en masse really easy.

if you haven't already done so please visit them:

http://www.seawatch.org/mail_campaign/norma_letter.php

I also added this paragraph at the end of the message:

"It will become increasingly difficult for me to continue spending my tourist dollars in Mexico knowing that this regulation allows such fishing practices."

Done my bit as well.

Good idea that SeaWatch mass mailing thing.

Thanks folks. Please tell your friends, dive clubs, or anyone that cares to participate. If we really care, an email isn't much to ask.

Glad to do my bit..

But to be honest it should be compulsory to all of us..

Dive safe

DeanB

pathetic.

Sounds like a case of "FAT POCKETS" for some folks.

Sponsors

Advertisements