donga

Suunto Dive Computer

I bought a second hand set of regs off Ebay and then put them in to be serviced at a local dive shop. When I got them back the battery had been replaced in the Suunto Computer but it was ON? I said to the guy, "does it switch off or is it always ON?" He said, "yeah, thats how they are, they are always on?"

This doesn't sound right becaus other mates who have computers I have seen are not always on?

Need confirmation about this? Also it did not come with a manual, any suggestions besides calling up the manufacturers and being hit hard in my wallet would be appreciated. B)

My Suunto Vytek and Gekko's are NOT always on.

Make sure the water contacts are clean, soak it in warm water and clean the contacts, if after a few hours it's still on I would take it back, your battery wont last long if it never turns off.

The battery could also be on it's way out which is why it's acting funny. Over the years my cobra always acts up when the battery gets weak. Even though the battery indicator shows full bar. I replace the battery and all of the funky behavior go away.

What model of computer is it?

Some of their older ones would display time and basic info all the time, even if they weren't in dive mode or really 'on'.

Favor and Solution, maybe other, models always displayed date and time.

It's a Suunto Octopus II.

It has just had a new battery in it and it displays time only. But there must be an off switch? It has been going for two days like this so it doesn't switch off automatically.

Thanks.

We have Solutions and Companions and they go fully blank when dry. Mahe sure the contacts are cleaned periodically.

I change the batteries every 2-3 yeary. If I remember, they have different batteries. Four screws and an a 'O' ring.

Be aware that the Companion will lose it's memory if the battery is out for more that 5 seconds and it can not be re-booted. So have the replacement handy and don't drop it. :lol:

The Solutions can be empty for longer, but I don't screw around.

Hi all,

Haven't seen one in a while, but I am pretty sure the Octopus II's display was permanently on.

It shows time etc. all the time!

Adam

I have a Vytek and a D9. The Vytek display goes off after awhile, but the D9 acts as a watch when not in dive mode, so its display is always on with date and time. Download a users manual from Suunto (someone posted a link earlier in this thread) and read to see if it is just in "TIME" mode rather than "DIVE" mode. If so, I doubt you have a problem -- time mode uses hardly any battery power. It's DIVE mode that sucks power like crazy. If it was stuck in that mode I'd be worried...

I'm not sure about the Octopus, since I don't know that model, but I remember I had a very old Suunto computer which was always on. It was a very simple model, not recommended for deco dives and with no underwater button, but it worked.

The battery couldn't be changed either, it lasted at least 3 years (it got replaced by a Cobra).

It's a Suunto Octopus II.

It has just had a new battery in it and it displays time only. But there must be an off switch? It has been going for two days like this so it doesn't switch off automatically.

Thanks.

I have an Octupus II, a couple of Alpha Solutions and a Vyper 2. The Octupus II is always 'on', showing time and date, so it seems like everything is in order. The other ones shut down completely after a while.

/c

Edited by Christian K

This is true of many computers, including (if I'm not mistaken) all the Uwatec models. They are always "on" and will respond to a change in pressure or lowered resistance across their wet contacts at any time. In some of them, however, the display turns off (to save power) either completely or partially after complete desaturation of all compartments and/or after no change in ambient pressure for a specified period of time.

Sponsors

Advertisements