Sign in to follow this  
MikeBurtonPhillipson

400D + Dome port question

Hi,

Recently joined this forum (which looks excellent btw).. and have been lurking up till now and just reading all the posts.. however i've got a question:

I'm looking at the Canon 400D + Ikelite + 10-22mm + 8" Dome port...

Now reading the 'blurb' on the standard set up it suggests the 400D in the Ike housing is neutrally bouyant... by adding the 8" dome port (which has a large airspace) I assume this will make the unit positively bouyant?.. :lol:

Any one any experience of this set up, and if you do need to weight the rig how do you/have you achieved this..

Any info much appreciated..

Thanks

Mike

i have the 350d inside of a sea and sea dx350 and with the large sea and sea dome fitted it is a little bit light. i do not find it to be too bad for me to worry about though. i cant speak for the ike housing, but i would say it would be the same.

My friends who use the setup you described have used zip ties to connect a small dive weight to the underside of the housing's tray/handle unit.

HTH

James

That is a really really bad idea because of the way the ports attach to the Ikelite housing.

Cheers

James

there are two slots for weights in the handle mount, would suggest you try using weights that fit these first !

Apart from that ziptying the same ankle weight stretched across the base (zipping it on several places) would be better. (For a cheap and flexible weight, cut up a soft lead weight pouch, and use the lead to fill a bicycle inner tube. I used that for a while as ankle weights, before I got jetfins and a better fitting drysuit.

And: be happy that the housing might be a bit on the light side, getting it heavier is way easier then the other way around.

That is a really really bad idea because of the way the ports attach to the Ikelite housing.

Cheers

James

Right best stop doing that then...... :lol:

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements