Sign in to follow this  
JCharles

Who uses in camera adjustments on their pics?

Just curious, how many of you use your cameras in JPEG mode with NO in-camera image processing i.e. no sharpening, not saturation.?

Aloha!

Charles

Mostly raw, so no.... anyway, jpgs are image processed in camera. Even if you have your settings to the lowest, there is still some sharpening etc.

My bet is that most would use raw. White balance, Levels and curves are your friends !

Definitely RAW. Why let the camera do any of the thinking?
Because most processing you set in-camera can improve your in-water image review or at least tailor it for your preferences. While in the water I like to drill down into the image, using D2x's magnifying box, in order to get a better idea if focus is right. But if I haven't set a decently high level of sharpening the image review will be soft like most RAW data.

Then I over-ride the sharpening in post and the pre-set doesn't have any impact on the final image.

Because most processing you set in-camera can improve your in-water image review or at least tailor it for your preferences. While in the water I like to drill down into the image, using D2x's magnifying box, in order to get a better idea if focus is right. But if I haven't set a decently high level of sharpening the image review will be soft like most RAW data.

Then I over-ride the sharpening in post and the pre-set doesn't have any impact on the final image.

That's exactly what I do too. Set the sharpening to +1 for LCD review (mostly focus) and work on the RAW image in the computer.

That's exactly what I do too. Set the sharpening to +1 for LCD review (mostly focus) and work on the RAW image in the computer.
Yes, and i should have added (something you certainly already know) that when shooting in RAW any presets you set in camera are nothing but metatdata tags, they do not effect the RAW data. And if you don't make presets yourself, the metadata tags are still being created, it's just that they are being created in accordance with the camera defaults. So you might as well make the presets yourself and take advanatge of better imaging in your LCD so your image review is easier and more productively done.

For photos of trip participants and other things that I don't want to RAW process, it sure is nice to have a good-looking JPEG. I set my camera to RAW+Small JPEG and bump up the saturation and sharpening for the jpeg engine. Then I can give people pix right off the card.

Cheers

James

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements