Rocha

New Apple MacBook Pros

Apple has announced today upgrades to the MacBook Pro line. The new versions come with 2.2 and 2.4 ghz Intel core duo processors, improved wireless, a better mercury-free (more energy efficient and environmentally friendly) LED display, and better graphics cards among other things. Full specifications here:

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

Initial reports indicate that the new display have better color than the LCDs as well. Sounds very interesting and tempting because I desperately need a new laptop...

Luiz

I'm curious where you see reports that the LED backlights offer better color. The official line is that color and brightness are unchanged. Battery life and weight are improved with LED.

The 17" MBP does not get the LED, only the 15 does.

I'm curious where you see reports that the LED backlights offer better color. The official line is that color and brightness are unchanged. Battery life and weight are improved with LED.

The 17" MBP does not get the LED, only the 15 does.

The reports are from users that just bought the new model when comparing them with last generation machines. But that may have to do with the fact that LCDs lose brightness with time, another advantage of LED, which are much better in this respect.

From here:

First of all, using LEDs for notebook PC displays will not improve anything in the way of front screen performance. The reason is because of the type of LEDs that are used for notebook PC applications. White LEDs are used that is a combination of a blue LED chip with a yellow phosphor coating. There are other variations, but the end result is a color gamut about the same as a typical CCFL backlit LCD of around 40-45% NTSC. There are already advanced CCFL backlit LCDs that reach 72% NTSC on notebook PCs today. Color uniformity will be a big issue for LED backlit LCDs if the sizes become much larger than 12″ or 13″ because the number of LEDs increase quite a bit. The only things that will improve are power consumption, LCD thickness, and durability. On most ultra-portable notebook PCs the use of a LED backlight will improve battery life due to the fact that LEDs consume less power at lower brightness levels. As for thickness, Sony’s TX series notebook PCs is a good example of how thin the LCD can get–very thin. Because LED is a solid-state technology, durability will be better than CCFL.

The older CCFL MBP 15" was reported to have a 42% NTSC gamut so this looks to be little changed. There are notebooks with wider gamuts that Apple's according to this author. There are certainly wide gamut desktop LED monitors.

Apple says brightness and color are the same as before. Perhaps the backlighting is more even with LED.

More from Infoworld:

For me, the story is Apple's LED display backlighting, which Apple claims as a first among notebook vendors. LEDs replace industry-wide notebook standard CCFL (cold cathode fluorescent lamp) backlights, a move that puts poisonous mercury in the same category as equally-despicable lead: Gone from the recipe. LED backlights also hit their full brightness and optimal color temperature immediately, unlike CCFLs that require time to warm up. LEDs don't require the high-voltage power drivers that CCFL calls for, so the power savings will be substantial; Apple claims that the running time on a single charge of new LED-backlit MacBook Pros is 30 to 60 minutes longer than that of CCFL models. That's more of an increase in battery life than other PC notebooks will net from Santa Rosa alone.

Apple claims that the LED backlights drive 15-inch MacBook Pro displays to the same maximum brightness as CCFL, but add the benefit of fine-grained illumination level adjustment, and LEDs are capable of much lower minimum brightness levels. Apple confirmed that MacBook Pro takes advantage of both of these LED traits in its design; the displays dim to a far darker level than CCFL could sustain before going dark.

It's not true that Apple is first with LED though. There are numerous LED notebooks but all are smaller than Apple's 15.4" model.

More interesting to me is that Apple is now offering a 1920x1200 17" upgrade. Finally! That alone tempts me to upgrade. New models have a 4GB limit rather than 3GB and better video as well.

Amid much teasing over my battered old 12" Powerbook on my travels I was telling everyone I was waiting for the LED screen generation before upgrading. And I come back and now it is here.

So I might be an early one to jump to the 15". That is when a few cheques actually arrive from picture sales and I can afford the damn thing!

Alex

Well the whole thing about the displays being 6bit with dithering vs real 8bit makes it interesting.

For instance this is a gamut comparison between the MBP 15" vs a CRT:

15" MBP vs CRT

The point is that laptop LCDs in general are a portable convenience and while the performance has improved, it is not a replacement for a desktop monitor it would seem.

Agree with Craig that 1920x1200 is very nice for HD editing, but I cannot possibly carry a 17" to travel. Ah well can't have everything... plus my MBP 15" is less than 8 mths old. Craig, didn't you just buy a MBP recently?

Alex, anyone gives you more crap, just say you are being more green by not being so consumeristic in upgrading everytime there's something new when what you have works well. :rolleyes:

Yes, I did :-( and it would have to find a new home. I decided to upgrade because I felt Apple wouldn't go 1920x1200. I don't get paid for my punditry!

Gone are the days when it was easy to find a 15" notebook with 1920x1200 resolution. Apparently, nobody but me would buy them.

I'm thinking of getting the 15" because I've been told that the 17 is too large to travel with comfortably. Anyone share that view?

Steve B)

I'm thinking of getting the 15" because I've been told that the 17 is too large to travel with comfortably. Anyone share that view?

Steve B)

Yes, I agree with the above, and that's the reason why I never got a 17''. They are larger, heavier and require larger bags...

I will get my 15'' next week, the Apple store here in Honolulu has them in stock. :rolleyes: Time to retire my Powerbook G4 800mhz.

Thanks for the confirmation Rocha...any views on the glossy vs regular screen, especially when using outdoors?-Steve B)

I've looked at both; I do not like the glare especially when outside. To my eye they do appear to have more contrast, almost like a glossy print, which may be nice for presentations. I think it can also create some disparity in editing if your laptop is glossy and your home monitor is not.

I agree, I looked at both glossy and matte in detail and I really hate the glossy ones, they reflect too much, especially outdoors. You see everything that is behind you on those glossy screens.

Agreed. Have studied the glossy at length and don't like them. Mac-Rumors claims that Mac is developing an ultra light weight Mac. I'm keeping my eye out as I want a sub 3 lb. lap top and only a Mac will do.

Anybody know the weight of the 13" macbook? I noted the 15" pro is 5.4 pounds, but no idea on the macbook. If the new LED screen pulls the weight of the Pro nearer to the macbook, then it makes it even more attractive

Also - about these airline power adaptors - does anyone know if the majority of long haul flights actually have them, or do you need to be in first class?

Cheers

Steve

Just remember to thank me!

I bought a new MacBook Pro a month ago - just like I bought a couple of D200 just before they announced the D80.

(I bought a Golf TDI last month too so stand by for an early announcement from Volkswagen!)

Atr the moment I am sitting on Grand Bahama and it's raining so heavily I can't get out for a meal!

Just remember to thank me!

I bought a new MacBook Pro a month ago - just like I bought a couple of D200 just before they announced the D80.

Congrats, John.

I have to say that I was hearing about the new LED screens from enough people (including on this site) about a month ago to postpone my own plans to finally make the big move from Windows (ugh) to Apple. We do owe you thanks. If it weren't for people like you helping clear out that old inventory, vendors and manufacturers would have to charge the rest of us a lot more for our new toys. B)

Ok, I bit the bullet and got one of the LED 15'' Macbook Pros. In fact, I am writing from it now. So far no problems, the screen is excellent (much nicer than in my old G4) and the thing is fast! Now all I need is Photoshop CS3...

Ok, I bit the bullet and got one of the LED 15'' Macbook Pros. In fact, I am writing from it now. So far no problems, the screen is excellent (much nicer than in my old G4) and the thing is fast! Now all I need is Photoshop CS3...

Luiz,

I can't believe you still got by with your 800 mhz Powerbook! Wow, don't tell my husband that. :P He was imploring me to get by with my 1.25 ghz Powerbook G4 a little longer but the update to CS3 killed me computer wise, Photoshop, etc. got so slow it was unworkable. I did OK with CS2, slow but got by but CS3 ground me to an almost stand-still despite all manner of measures to remedy.

Good news is I too am now the proud owner of a new Mac Book Pro 15", matte, 2.4 ghz, 4GB RAM (yoweee!) and I opted to have a guy put in an Hitachi 250GB 5400rpm drive instead of the apple drive. It won't void the warranty cause it was done by apple certified people and the HD actually has a better warranty than the computer. I had a hard time deciding between the Hitachi 200GB/7200rpm drive and the 250GB/5400rpm drive. I hope I made the right choice, I was told I'd hardly notice the difference with the 7200 but I don't know if that if true. I opted for more free HD space on the drive. You know 3-1/2 years ago a guy who used to run the whole photo dept at B & H told me my 80GB HD was ridiculous overkill.....!! Now....., I hardly have any HD space left with all the programs I have and even 99% of my photos and all my video on external drives!

Its crazy trying to buy for the future but my husband won't want to hear any more about computers for some time so I have to plan somewhat adequately now while I can......

Bad news is no more dive trips for me for a bit :D - I'll have to content myself with local diving (which actually can be quite exhilarating).

I've always been a mac person and this computer is my fav so far! I'll know how fast it is after all my stuff is transferred. How do you like yours Luiz?

Best, Carol

I had a hard time deciding between the Hitachi 200GB/7200rpm drive and the 250GB/5400rpm drive. I hope I made the right choice, I was told I'd hardly notice the difference with the 7200 but I don't know if that if true. I opted for more free HD space on the drive.

As of a couple of years ago the big performance jump came with 4200RPM to 5400RPM and the upgrade from 5400RPM to 7200RPM was not as worthwhile dollar wise http://www.barefeats.com/ideide.html.

Seems to hold still hold true depending on the work http://www.barefeats.com/5472.html

I usually find myself needing room more than the extra performance when using my laptop with all the Final Cut Studio elements and other things.

For large things (video/audio) I would usually attach an ExpressCard/SATA Drive or FW800 drive and the laptop with the 5400RPM works fine in actual use.

I only have two Gigs of RAM and a slower MacBook Pro so enjoy the machine and do not worry about the drive too much :P

My new MacPro should be coming in next week and I will be getting the Mac Book Pro shortly thereafter. However, although I will have the full Studio 2 installed in the Power Mac, I will just install FCP, Motion, Compressor, and DVD Studio Pro into the laptop. I really won't need Soundtrack with all its loops, nor Live Type with all its and which I can do a better Text job in Motion with, or Color which I haven't begun to really use. Lots of room can be saved. I'll need to get a new field external for the media files tho as I don't like having them on a boot drive.

Steve B)

For large things (video/audio) I would usually attach an ExpressCard/SATA Drive or FW800 drive and the laptop with the 5400RPM works fine in actual use.

I only have two Gigs of RAM and a slower MacBook Pro so enjoy the machine and do not worry about the drive too much :D

Thanks Drew, yea I tend to worry about everything computer-wise...... :P

Your words were reassuring - yup even though the 7200/200GB Hitachi drive has really good reviews I opted for more space with the 5400/250GB, even though the extra space seems like overkill in 3 years it might not (but then the processor may be way too slow so ya never know...). I thought it was interesting though that if you tend to fill up the drive a bit then the slower drive with more free space is faster. Learned something.

Also I didn't even know what SATA, etc was till this compter shopping. Actually I just have a vague idea - I need to define it more closely - but it looks like a faster way than FW800 to hook up extra HD space?

But Drew if I shouldn't worry too much about what drive I got now --- well what then will I have to worry about??? :(

Thanks a bunch, Carol

Edited by seagrant

Carol, to speed things up, you can RAID 0 stripe your 2 drives.

Then you can worry about getting a backup drive.

Also I didn't even know what SATA, etc was till this compter shopping. Actually I just have a vague idea - I need to define it more closely - but it looks like a faster way than FW800 to hook up extra HD space?

Just another cable, but faster :D [Also a type of drive] Since more computers now are SATA, the SATA drives are coming out more often, in larger sizes and lesser prices than IDE drives. (The Sata drives can also be found or placed in FW400/800/USB2 enclosures designed to hold SATA drives.)

But Drew if I shouldn't worry too much about what drive I got now --- well what then will I have to worry about??? :(

Thanks a bunch, Carol

Guess you can start with these:

1.) Will there be another Rocky movie?

2.) Does chewing lose its flavor on the bed post overnight?

3.) Will there be another Rambo movie?

4.) How many angels really dance on the head of a pin?

5.) Will Van Halen be good without Michael Anthony on Bass?

6.) How much wood would a woodchuck chuck?

7.) Will there be another Jaws movie?

8.) Will the academy somehow figure out a way to take back Scorsese's Oscar

9.) What was the last episode of The Sopranos about

:P:wacko:

Edited by TheRealDrew

Carol, to speed things up, you can RAID 0 stripe your 2 drives.

Then you can worry about getting a backup drive.

Yea (other Drew.. B) ..), I heard about RAID, didn't Eric do this? Not sure how it is done but I'm sure I can find info if I'm ready to ask? Have you done this?

I have a number of backup drives, portable firewire ones I travel with and FW800 Lacies on my desk. Are you talking about a different sort of backup? I appreciate any sort of data and experiences - I guess this SATA is an option also if needed. Thx, C

Guess you can start with these:

1.) Will there be another Rocky movie?

2.) Does chewing lose its flavor on the bed post overnight?

3.) Will there be another Rambo movie?

4.) How many angels really dance on the head of a pin?

5.) Will Van Halen be good without Michael Anthony on Bass?

6.) How much wood would a woodchuck chuck?

7.) Will there be another Jaws movie?

8.) Will the academy somehow figure out a way to take back Scorsese's Oscar

9.) What was the last episode of The Sopranos about

:P:D

Yes, really the thing I'm most worried about (instead of my computer drive), right at this moment is:

"Is Dr Who going to quit regenerating during my lifetime?"

What a blow that would be if he was no more........?????? :(

Thanks a lot, Carol

Edited by seagrant

Sponsors

Advertisements